• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - First Impressions: Fire Emblem Fates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Honestly seems odd to write a review without mentioning the omission of the Japanese audio (which was included with Awakening.) For me that was sufficient for me to conclude that I had other things to spend my time and money on.

Maybe it wasn't considered important enough to mention.

Not all games can get dual audio. Licensing can be a real pain. Instead of seeing games without dual audio as lacking content, you should see games with dual audio as having extra content.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
Honestly seems odd to write a review without mentioning the omission of the Japanese audio (which was included with Awakening.) For me that was sufficient for me to conclude that I had other things to spend my time and money on.

Maybe it wasn't considered important enough to mention.

Not all games can get dual audio. Licensing can be a real pain. Instead of seeing games without dual audio as lacking content, you should see games with dual audio as having extra content.

With the way Fates' localization being handled, I'm surprised they didn't just have us get Conquest only because God knows, Westerners just want to play as edgy medieval knight side Nohr. Only weeabs would want to side with Hoshido. Rolling Eyes
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

You and I have an issue with stuff like this because we have an actual interest, if not personal need, to know what might've been going on in the original storyteller/writer's mind. Or maybe we just expect better quality out of it. Or maybe, by experience, Japanese dubs just fit out personal feelings better. Either way, I definitely think I understand why you'd forego buying the game in English and can respect that.

But I know Japanese and can play it in its original language anyway (I'm halfway through my second route)! Go me! =D

But seriously, Awakening's English version has a lot of translation changes and if you liked that, then I don't really expect this to be that much different. It's localization. Things change for one reason or another, whether you like it or not. You're not obligated to buy it as a result, but it's also important to realize that a lot of circumstances go behind these decisions and they do not remove content lightly in today's day and age. If you want them to change how future games are localized, get a ton of the fans who either bought the game or didn't together and make your views known. They listen. If it's a big enough crowd, they'll probably go extra lengths to secure music rights or whatever (supposedly, Aqua's song in Japanese is copyrighted and not easy to get the license for since it was an actual single release for an actual singer), and in extension, the dub.

[EDIT] Also, I forgot to mention, but this is related to the article itself--in Japan, Nintendo Dream released a mini-artbook for if/Fates that I bought. It mostly just involved the character portraits of FE characters across the ages in full-body, plus some if/Fates characters. And then there was a later booklet in a later issue of either Nintendo Dream of Dengeki Nintendo (I forget which) that had a character popularity ranking for if/Fates, where is showed artwork for the characters voted on in the ranking. Mostly portraits and full-bodied artwork.
No full artbook yet, though. I ordered the special edition for my ex, so she'll be opening that after I send it to her. We'll have to see what kind of stuff is in it before we compare, since we both have these artbooks I just mentioned, too.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
There isn't an original soundtrack or art book for Fire Emblem if (or Fates, if you choose to call it that) in Japan either. So it would be kind of weird to release one overseas before it even happened in its country of origin.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
With the way Fates' localization being handled, I'm surprised they didn't just have us get Conquest only because God knows, Westerners just want to play as edgy medieval knight side Nohr. Only weeabs would want to side with Hoshido. Rolling Eyes

No idea what you're getting at here. Fates' localization has been completely reasonable.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Paiprince wrote:

No idea what you're getting at here. Fates' localization has been completely reasonable.

Compared to Awakening, no not really. Censorship wise of course, both localized scripts are on the same level of taking literary liberties.
AngryMoM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote
I don't understand why people would get angry enough to not buy the game if there's no dual audio. Like 90% of the game is text only, the cut scenes and a few other areas include voices.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Paiprince wrote:

Do people think Nintendo's Treehouse and Nintendo of Japan are completely different entities that have no common link, and that Treehouse just wants to ruin everything while the Pure, True Nintendo of Japan is some battered housewife? It's not like NOA decided to bring Fates to the West on a lark; Nintendo does consider international markets when designing their games. (And that's why Captain Rainbow or whatever never came over.)

AngryMoM wrote:

I don't understand why people would get angry enough to not buy the game if there's no dual audio. Like 90% of the game is text only, the cut scenes and a few other areas include voices."

Truth. I'd be surprised if there were more than thirty minutes of VO in Fates--and even then, a good sixty percent would just be grunts, yelps and screams. I won't say people shouldn't care about it, but it hardly seems like an essential element. Heck, even if what you want is "authenticity", it feels questionable: it's not like this is some bootleg of some other Fire Emblem: Fates.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
all this talk about Chun-Li makes me think about one thing:
Has anybody here ever seen Street Fighter 2 Animated Movie?I will feel like an old geezer sorrounded by kids if nobody here remembers it...
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:15 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Compared to Awakening, no not really. Censorship wise of course, both localized scripts are on the same level of taking literary liberties.

What censorship? Soleil's conversation was altered to be less creepy, but still retains the same general concept. Face petting is still in the game, just restricted to married couples. Even for someone with a more flimsy idea of the word "censorship," none of the localization changes that I've seen in this game can be called censorship. Some news outlets overstated what the changes were, which caused some backlash, but the actual product is good.

People who say they won't buy the game for a reason like censorship either don't have their priorities straight or were probably looking for reasons to not buy the game in the first place.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
First off, some people like dual audio. It was in Awakening, it should be in here. If you don't care for it then fine, but it's a preference, and you don't get to say what people should have a preference for or not. At the end of the day, it's up to the people buying the game, not you, so get over yourselves.

Next, what's this about the special edition containing all the games on one cartridge? So this shows that all 3 could fit in one, so again, Nintendo have literally just split the game three ways and sold it as 3 separate games rather than release it as one large game. People saying that the special edition is "fantastic value for money" are missing the point, Nintendo have chosen to make more money out of their customers when it could be all one game. They are as bad as EA and Capcom and whatever nowadays, and that's just sad.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
I personally think the most interesting thing about how they've handled Fates in comparison to how Japan handled IF is the digital version.

In Japan, there was only one version. It let you play up to the route split but then you had to choose one of the routes. It worked a lot better as you could meet the characters and essentially pick which side you prefer. With the English release; it's literally just picking it at a store shelf.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:
Next, what's this about the special edition containing all the games on one cartridge? So this shows that all 3 could fit in one, so again, Nintendo have literally just split the game three ways and sold it as 3 separate games rather than release it as one large game. People saying that the special edition is "fantastic value for money" are missing the point, Nintendo have chosen to make more money out of their customers when it could be all one game. They are as bad as EA and Capcom and whatever nowadays, and that's just sad.

It seems that Nintendo, after having gone the DLC route, has started to fall prey to the shady business of most western third-party gaming companies: split a complete game into parts, charge the initial partial game at full price, and relegate the other parts to the DLC paywall at exorbitant prices. 2016 seems to be yet another year destined for the dark ages of gaming.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is the plot point that you'll have to keep in mind as you make a choice of who to side with a few chapters down the line: Do you go with your blood family, the family who raised you, or do you reject them both and try to solve the Hoshido/Nohr conflict your own way? No matter what you choose, you're going to have a lengthy quest ahead of you. (Then again, if you only bought a single-campaign version, you made your pick at the cash register and will have to get the other routes down the line.)
(bolding mine)

This right here is why I've made the choice "at the cash register" to not purchase the game at all. If there is an in-game choice, I'm not going to be forced to make it before purchase, when there are story points surrounding why you should make which choice.

(I'm also not happy with locked easy and hard modes depending on which game you buy, and lack of casual mode in Conquest)
Renasviel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote
Also, and it seems people defending splitting this into three games have not considered this, what about the people who don't, shock horror, have a great internet connection? What about the ones who can't download games over the internet, either because of data restrictions or a poor connection, or those who have no internet connection at all? Rural areas, for instance, still aren't great, hell, even here in the UK, I'd be lucky to get over 5 MBps download, not exactly ideal. God help those who have to try and download a game when their download speeds are registered in kb or even just bytes.

So what options are available to them? Nintendo have made sure, as usual, that the supply for the special edition doesn't meet the demand (they do this to keep the prices up for their games for years, look out for a re-release of this special edition soon, possibly at a higher price), so the chances of them finding one in their local retailer is out of the question. So what? They'll have to pay full price for both Birthright and Conquest, and even then, they just aren't able to get access to the "true" path, Revelations. The full story just isn't accessible for them. They don't get a choice.

Apparently, people who think that what Nintendo has done is fair don't care about these people. They agree that they deserve to be shafted to one side, unable to get the full experience. Even if each of the three games is 100 hours worth of content, it's considerably less than one game with 300 hours of content, and that is my issue here. Instead of looking to offer the best value for money possible, Nintendo have split the game up, to get as much money as possible. That's anti-consumer. They are literally exploiting consumers by splitting up a game that can fit on one cartridge into 3 cartridges, and people think that just because each of the three may be long by themselves, it's totally fine.

It's not fine. Not only is it setting a dangerous precedent, where companies will lock off parts of the game behind a pay wall, but it shows that Nintendo is no better than any other company people like to rib on. Don't believe me? Take Fifa. People slam EA for online passes, saying it locks people buying used out of things that are on the disc. Ubisoft does the same, locking off special missions and costumes that are on the disc but require a pass to use. But the thing is, even without EA's online pass, offline Fifa offers potentially many, many hours of gameplay. Probably well over 100, if you enjoy it enough. So it's not really the length of the game that matters, it's the principle of having the ability to release it all in one game, and then choosing not to and locking parts off.

And I know it's hard to come to terms with, but as I say, this is the final bit that proves Nintendo is no better than any company people love to criticise for anti-consumer movements. It's worse, in some ways, actually. You or I may be able to spend $80 on a game to get the full version, but not everyone can, and for some, even if they could, they can't get the games because of their internet connections (or lack thereof). It's easy to say "well, I don't care, I'm getting 100 hours out of each game so it's more than enough", but that ignores the fact that this should be a 300 hour game that Nintendo have chosen to milk out and squeeze the fanbase to make them pay at least double for the whole lot. At the end of the day, "censorship", lack of dual audio and whatever else are all valid cause for concern for some people, but the real issue, and the sole reason I will not be buying the game, is this issue right here with the game is being released. I just hope people defending Nintendo's decision for this come to realise that it affects more than just outside of your own little bubble.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6