• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - First Impressions: Fire Emblem Fates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:43 am Reply with quote
MCAL wrote:
Umm, didn't the special editions like sell out in record time. Also I see it heavily advertised in many video game stores I go too. And all the professional reviewers have been giving it positive recommendations.

We won't know what it will truly sell like until later of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if it sells more than Awakening.

Yeah, the Special Edition sold out in mere hours. Best Buy actually had a surprise stock they sold on their eBay store on launch day (probably cancellations) and those were gone in no time flat.

As for sales Fates by the end of last year in Japan outsold Awakening's lifetime sales and was in the top ten of highest-selling games of the year according to Famitsu. And that's only counting the physical editions as well as not factoring in revenue brought in by DLC like Revelations and the maps. With how anticipated the game has been for the past year it has a very good shot at matching Awakening's sales if not surpassing them.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
TrailOfDead wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
Who are they to decide to what degree we are to be exposed to these elements?

the people who own the IP

Paiprince wrote:
What are they trying to accomplish?

they are probably trying to sell more units

NoA doesn't own the IP. Intelligent Systems does and they had zero input with the alterations and no, they're lowering their sales because of their foolishness.

Are you sure about that?
https://tcrf.net/images/6/6a/Fire_Emblem_NEStitle.png
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/aOd3sZJYgM8/maxresdefault.jpg

For the record, NOA is still Nintendo. It's a subsidiary, but given the fact that it probably generates more revenue than its JP office should tell you something.

Also, you guys are hypocrites. Why is self-censoring only right when it's done by the actual company? Why did none of you people about the censorship that Konami gave to MGRR and FP? Because "you're not Japanese" that's all. Well, that logic is messed up. You're not Japanese, so why do you care about the JP edition's content?

Keep in mind that the Japanese versions of most Americans games are toned down and altered to be more "Japanese friendly". Hypocrites.[/code]
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
You can tell they care more about broadening the audience than how I would imagine how other companies would handle certain content for the more niche type gamer.

That's always been Nintendo of America's mindset with their other games that skew older audiences in Japan like Pokemon and Metroid, so its unsurprising. What I've seen of English playthroughs Soliel is less anime-girl-who-likes-cute-girls and just likes cute things in general. They changed some of her girl dialog to liking kittens and puppies and having posters of bunnies in her room. She still likes cufe girls in the US version in some of her supports but she's also now a girl who looks at cat pictures and videos on the internet, which is more mainstream relatable than anime tropes. I'm waiting for videos of Eponine to see if they cut back her fujoshi/BL personality in a similar fashion.

-Stuart Smith
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Stuart Smith"I'm waiting for videos of Eponine to see if they cut back her fujoshi/BL personality in a similar fashion.

-Stuart Smith[/quote]

There's a video of her Private Quarters english dialogue, including the post-marriage stuff. It still keeps her yaoi fangirl, though some of it can come off in a different (possibly unintended?) way. One line is something like, "Hey, how about next time you bring over some guy friends? Four's company, after all" (spoken in a sultry manner).
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
Dual audio only matters in anime. The FE games are not known for their "amazing" voice acting. Grunts and yells is not what voice acting make. -_-

Gameplay matters. The gameplay has been moderately altered, which is the worst thing. Localization is not an issue. EVERYTHING IS LOCALIZED.

http://www.tofugu.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/00_normalmenu2.jpg

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Kiwi-Burger.jpg

Your arguments are illogical. Gameplay>all.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

Gameplay matters. The gameplay has been moderately altered, which is the worst thing.

I hope this "moderately altered for the worst" gameplay you're referring to isn't the touching & rubbing minigame since while I don't agree with Nintendo removing it. It wasn't an integral part to the traditional gameplay elements Fire Emblem is known for.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Video games are more than just gameplay. Especially in RPGs where characters and story is very important. While gameplay is obviously important it's generally the characters and stories that make them memorable. Whenever people argue who the best characters are gameplay isn't a factor in the argument. In Fire Emblem if specifically the reason Azur, Eudes, and Serena came back is because they were the three most popular children characters from Awakening, and also which characters got CG sequences in the DLC was also determined by the popularity poll. Story and characters are just as important as gameplay in these kind of games.

-Stuart Smith
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

It's worth reminding ourselves that "fastest-selling" doesn't necessarily equate to "best-selling."
MCAL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

It's worth reminding ourselves that "fastest-selling" doesn't necessarily equate to "best-selling."
I've never seen a game that hasn't followed that equation though unless there is one that can be provided.

And keep in mind this isn't counting the digital sales yet which equaled about 1/3 of Awakening total sales in its first month and Fates will probably be similar.

Awakening (In North America) sold about 180,000 (Including digital sales which were 63,000 of those 180,000) in ONE month. So in three days Fates has most likely sold twice the sales Awakening had in its first month.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

It doesn't have to be "best-selling" though it simply has to sell very well and a handheld title selling that many copies in just three days isn't anything to sneeze at.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised if it sold well. Nintendo was very heavily advertising it. I saw a lot of websites with articles dedicated to "Which Version Should You Buy?" And breaking down the distribution process. It got a lot more marketing than other games they've put out as of late in the west, which would explain why they wanted to change the content so much.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6