• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bakuon!! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote

Bakuon!!

Genres: Seinen, Slice of Life, Sports
Themes: Motorcycles

Plot Summary: Hane Sakura is a high school student who looks a little bit like an airhead. On the way to her all-female high school one day, she is worn-out climbing a hilly road with a bicycle, but she sees a girl named Onsa Amano who is riding a motorcycle. Sakura immediately becomes interested in motorcycles, and she and Onsa join the motorcycle club at the school. Then, Sakura sets out to get her license.
----------------------------------

Cute girls with motorcycles. This should be fun. The PV has my attention already Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
I saw the OVA episode today related to this franchise.

Decent start so far. Felt like I've got dropped into the middle of the story but it was a nice glimpse at the main characters (with bits of fan service because of onsen content). Either way, the show looks like it's going to be a fun ride (literally). The motorcycles on the road also looked like it was well animated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:06 am Reply with quote
The OVA kind of brought to mind to me of Girls und Panzer in connecting a niche topic (bikes instead of tanks) with moe girls. I think that I can watch it and maybe learn a couple things.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
It is K-on, with Motorbikes in place of instruments.

The first episode was ok in setting up the quirky cast, if it can keep up it will be a decent enough time killer for my tastes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Yeah, that was actually pretty good. Maybe I am just looking for validation, but I kind of liked that I was thrown into the deep end with the OVA to have a look at where it is going, and then having the first episode build up to there. The mention of what happens when it rains felt almost like it was saying that expected it.

A surprising character design, but Onsa appears to be one of the more interesting characters and a draw. Going back to Girls und Panzer, she kind of reminds me of Yukari, a young girl with an interest in something that would create a barrier with others of a similar age, and with a design that kind of sells it (plus the rest of the history club in that show).
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:28 am Reply with quote
Somehow I really liked the first episode, and I don't even like bikes nor know anything about them!

Off-topic: Love your profile pic, DuskyPredator. "Prince" Clarion! So cute.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote
I liked the first episode, but Onsa's attitude about cyclists is.... unjustifiable.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

I just want to give Rin a hug after seeing some of her past. I mean, she's such a bright kid (and still is) but that accident involving his Father was bad....

Decent race this episode, I got a thrilling feeling from it although I wish it was a bit longer. Also, I find Rin and Onsa's relationship to be rather amusing. The OP song is alright I guess, ED theme song is rather boring, going to skip it from now on. I'm also really curious to see what other type of bikes this show will reveal soon.

At this pacing, wonder if every girl will get their own spotlight episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I just want to give Rin a hug after seeing some of her past. I mean, she's such a bright kid (and still is) but that accident involving his Father was bad....

I was getting the impression that how she was mostly fine could have chalked a lot of it up to exaggerated mind of a child, that even if he was hurt he may have been acting overdramatic like with the giraffes. That we then saw him the present riding on his preferred newer bike seemed to say this was the case, that the open window in the hospital was that he had instead escaped it. He does seem a bit hammy. Even so it is okay to feel it would have had an influence on Rin, and Onsa could do a bit to be nicer.

I was worried about the personality of the ojou, but after seeing her play out with getting so excited at the idea of being a "delinquent", I think kind of like her. Especially so when she ended up in the river with her butler.

I liked the bit at the end that other people could hear Baita speak, somewhat cool to make it more than just her. Also, what do they do with the old bikes? I am wondering if she is going to end up getting it second hand since it would be cheaper and it something she is used to.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:26 am Reply with quote
So if I'm not mistaken, Baita is also slang for whore? I think at least "kono baita," which the mechanic at the end called her, is.

I've been waffling back and forth over whether Hane's bike could be a repainted Baita. They are the same model. I know basically how VTEC works (not "V-Tech" Smile ), but I can't decide if it would be a simple (or cheap!) thing to restore it or not. I guess since it was built with that design and already has space for the second camshaft, maybe all they had to do was remove one and disable the EC unit and hydraulics to prep it for class. If it is Baita with the VTEC system restored, will it have a male voice? Very Happy

Poor Hijiri is stuck with the pos Ducati. I like how it explodes in the ED when asked for more power. But she's hilarious and Hayakawa is awesome.

It's amazing, but I don't even hate Onsa and Rin squabbling all the time, because it's absolutely true.

Rin's dad is a hoot too. As far as I could tell, he didn't actually hit anything, he just dumped the bike and banged himself up a little. You know how they like to over-bandage every boo-boo in anime Japan. Wink

I wonder how they assigned the girls to their product placements? Honda must've paid the most, since they got the main character and a supporting one too. Then again, Kawasaki got a secondary character and a character name. Suzuki only got a character and a broken name. I can't remember, has Onsa even mentioned her Yamaha yet?

I think I'm really going to enjoy this series to pieces. Very Happy
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Love the Kikuko Inoue bike. For a lady who "supposedly" gets embarrassed over a bit part in Ogenki Clinic some 20+ years ago, she sure is amazing at playing sultry seductresses.
sol20

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
so far liking this show.

Though it brings back a certain question

why do shows that usually focus on girls (I think) blur out male characters or not show them at all ?

the only ones usually shown are usually older or in elementary.

just curious.

spoiler[ Like rins dad- no face in intro- no face when in hospital (face wrapped in bandages though he was wearing a helmet)- and no face presently, wearing a helmet]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I imagine we'll either see his face in due time, or there's a reason that will be filled in. Could be he's just got a reverse-Kakashi thing going on with his character design. Remember, we still haven't seen even Kawasaki's face yet.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
There were several other males in this episode. This included the guys working with the bikes at the training facility. We could see them clearly. Not showing the father's face was obviously intentional. I wouldn't be surprised if we never saw it, without explanation. Possibly it is simply a short-cut character trait.
sol20

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There were several other males in this episode. This included the guys working with the bikes at the training facility. We could see them clearly.

sorry what i meant by male characters being blurred i meant their faces or eyes.

like the two at the end of the second episode you don't see their eyes or ......the instructor (pinocchio ?) who's face is a little...... different......

Quote:
Possibly it is simply a short-cut character trait.

that's possible,

I originally thought it had more to do with the focus on male viewers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7