• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bakuon!! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
"Kid Racers Pledge Revenge to Attractive Mothers." (tiny picture of winner Chisame in corner)

Clearly that magazine knows which side its bread is buttered on... Laughing

That was an interesting sounding article.

Apparently Minecraft characters is involved in driving simulators, and can feel pain.
Yurious Bystander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I know, Raimu is actually a man!

I was convinced of that way back in the open-air bath episode. Where have you been?

I...I hope you're joking. You are joking, right?

Check this picture:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cj7w620UoAE6sIs.jpg

That's quite the feminine body. And I guess the girls would have noticed something
hanging between the legs. And don't you dare say anything about disguises or ninja techniques or I'll fight you. (Please don't make me fight you, I'll probably lose.)
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Yurious Bystander wrote:
You are joking, right?

affirm. Gina's a regular cut-up and I feed into it more than I should. The moderators here have had their guns loaded for me like since forever so you are probably safe.

On another topic, WTF is up with the character designs of the driving school staff? That guy has a #4 dowel for a nose and the simulator examiner make Woody and Buzz look natural.

The episode did provide a somewhat interesting illustration about how presumed competence can become a problem for the person who is highly regarded. Everyone was assuming she knew things she didn't and she ended up not learning anything. That was sort of a serious sub-theme in this mostly silly show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Yurious Bystander wrote:
And don't you dare say anything about disguises or ninja techniques or I'll fight you.

Too late. I already made the ninja joke. Razz

@HaruhiToy: That's been a question since sol20 brought it up on the first page. Helmets, fox masks, shadows, pinocchio faces, tablets - they've run the gamut of ways to avoid showing male faces other than Onsa's dad and Hayakawa.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:51 am Reply with quote
Chisame (lit. "kind of small") seems to be forgetting that the saddle height of pretty much every sport bike is adjustable...

FWIW, passing a Japanese license exam is a huge PITA... they're super anal.

She should have noticed that the shift pattern is reverse for street bikes when she first started riding...

She only weighs 86 pounds?!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:08 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

FWIW, passing a Japanese license exam is a huge PITA... they're super anal

Yes, it is. It took a good friend of mine 7 times to pass his driving test to get his automobile license over there.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

That was...one hell of an episode.

From some egoistic biker to Suzukiphilia, I found this episode to be quite entertaining. Also, I think the girls took their chance to help Chisame choose her own bike a bit way too far lol. Glad to see that she did get a bike in the end though. One more episode left...I miss this show already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
This show is so weird...

That opening scene reminds me... why cyclists are such douchebags? Why do they have to invade roads when they have perfectly adequate bike-lanes built?! Get out of my way!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Yuri Fan wrote:
This show is so weird...

That opening scene reminds me... why cyclists are such douchebags? Why do they have to invade roads when they have perfectly adequate bike-lanes built?! Get out of my way!

That also depends on the country. From my personal experience from my various trips to Japan, they generally don't have bike-lanes on Japanese roads. The same goes for here in the US. Some cities and municipalities do have bike-lanes, but a greater portion of them do not, forcing bicyclists to share the roads with motor vehicles.
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Yuri Fan wrote:
This show is so weird...

That also depends on the country. From my personal experience from my various trips to Japan, they generally don't have bike-lanes on Japanese roads. The same goes for here in the US. Some cities and municipalities do have bike-lanes, but a greater portion of them do not, forcing bicyclists to share the roads with motor vehicles.

In such cased it is understandable. Where I live it is not. The people who do that are always dressed like the guys from the beginning of this episode. Guess they believe they are too fast for the bike lanes.

In Kyoto they have bike lanes. On at least one road that I can remember. Didn't see this kind of cyclists, though.

Sorry for derailing the thread.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
The cyclists bit was definitely some light teasing of Yowamushi Pedal, all the talk of road racers and the like. Especially when one character sat up and the general tone, it felt very familiar.

The episode in general was silly, but that can be okay once in a while.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:55 am Reply with quote
That was hilarious from beginning to end. Those puns on all the bike names were great (and if Banken shows up and tells us they're real names, it'll be even funnier). Bigman, Fellat, Cockinental, Boobora, Peenarello Domra Tink...what could they be insinuating?

Happy to see Chisame added to the OP/ED. Now two of the girls are riding their father's bikes, and in a way Onsa is too. Daddy issues?

Onsa really dug up some vintage Suzuki posters for her room. The one with the Impulse on it must be from the mid-80's, since it seemed to be introducing the SATCS cooling tech. And I think one of them on the ceiling was from the 90s. Now that her passion has waned, she should sell those to Rin. Smile

I have to agree, bikes need to use bike lanes when available. I can't count the times I've nearly been run over by bicyclists riding on the sidewalk when there's a perfectly good bike lane made just for them.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Other than Pinnarello I'm not sure what those others are parodies of.. There are a LOT of road bike brands. Haven't watched the episode yet, though.

Cyclists are not douches, generally speaking. We are merely exercising are legal right to use the roads. Which we do have. Roads used to only be something people walked on, right? Except for people who don't stop at lights and stop signs. That's bad manners.

By the way, the CBR250 Dream Cup mentioned in Ep 10 is a real thing. You can buy the racing version of the CBR250 at any Honda bike dealer for about $4,000.

The 100-cc bike Chisame was riding can be bought for a little bit less...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
You must have less-douchey bicyclists where you live. I was nearly run down twice on my way home from the grocery just today by bicyclists riding on the sidewalk. Then they get pissy at me for being in their way! I'm going to start using the bike lanes to walk in, since no one else is using them.

I have yet to see a bicyclist stop at a stop sign or traffic light unless cross-traffic forces them to. They're slightly more law-abiding over in Davis, since bike cops will ticket them there.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:16 am Reply with quote
I don't know if it is a trend elsewhere, but I have rarely had bicyclist use a bell to warn that they are coming, instead had a number of times with a bike just missing me as they suddenly come from behind and I am just walking. I don't exactly walk in a straight line, it is not like an expectation that I cannot just walk on different sides of the footpath if there are no warnings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7