• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless

Genres: Comedy, School, Slice of Life
Themes:

Plot Summary: Sighing, leaning on his elbows, sleepy eyes. Tanaka-kun is a boy that basically doesn't try but isn't disliked. This is a laid-back youth comedy about Tanaka-kun and the quiet Oota who can't leave him alone.
----------------------------------

They got a decent cast for this. Looks like a fairly laid-back series and Tanaka is the star, although by the looks of it, he is more interested in napping than paying attention in class Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like the perfect show for me. My life's motto is You can Never be too Lazy."
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Finished the first episode and well, it was fairly relaxing imo. I'm not sure exactly how they will plan out a full 12-episode series for a premise like this but it has my attention so far.

Oh, and nice theme songs too. I could get used to this especially for some relaxing slice of life though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lys

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I laughed out loud several times while watching this first episode. ...I haven't yet come across anyone else who shared my reaction, but I thought it was pretty funny :) (stupid-funny, but it worked for me.) This is today's lesson in "Humour is subjective."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Well Miyano was cute. It kind of reminded me of Non Non Biyori, especially with Komari from that.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Cute slice of life show is cute. :3 I love being lazy too. Anime hyper

I wonder if the one Miyano likes is Tanaka? :3

lys wrote:
I laughed out loud several times while watching this first episode. ...I haven't yet come across anyone else who shared my reaction

I did too; particularly when he fell right out of the chair. Anime hyper
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I wonder if the one Miyano likes is Tanaka? :3

Apparently not. Although in what form that like is, is not quite clear. Well I guess it is about the same level as the boys.

Episode 3

Machoco. Laughing

The skirt swapping was also good.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
I didn't think I was going to be too interested in this, but I'm actually enjoying it more than Sakamoto. I don't understand what Ohta gets out of their relationship, but Tanaka would be dead without him.

The Othello game surprised me because I expected him to be so listless that turning the pieces over would take too much effort.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Personally, I like Shirashi the way she is with the glasses. She looks more natural and can be honest with herself and others. Pretending to be someone she isn't makes it hard for her to interact with others on a personal level.

And lol, Tanaka messed up a line between seduction/production.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Well it's nice that for once the sweet popular girl's hidden side was that of a dweeb. It's more common for her to turn out to be a total bitch.

I suppose I don't mind her falling for Tanaka, but I'm hoping a girl interested in Ohta appears. He's too great a person to be overlooked like that...

And yes, I'm projecting.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Ok, did everyone go through that "I'm going to recreate myself in high school" phase that keeps popping up in anime? I never did, but maybe it was because I'd already given up by then. Smile Still, I definitely could identify with her exhaustion at school, even without having a perfect image to maintain. Like Tanaka, I just don't have the energy to keep it up for very long, and never having had an Ohta to run interference for me, I learned it's much less stressful to simply avoid people as much as possible.

I really love the long, silent takes they do in this. Their timing is always perfect. And I just realized what an upscale school they go to. I keep thinking they're in a shopping mall when they're outside the classrooms.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:50 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I really love the long, silent takes they do in this. Their timing is always perfect. And I just realized what an upscale school they go to. I keep thinking they're in a shopping mall when they're outside the classrooms.

Been meaning to mention that their school looks quite cool, like beyond the usual set up we see in anime, and maybe just the modern idea in general.

I certainly prefer the "dweeb" side, I think she looks much cuter. Which I guess also comes from my type, and really a more natural side is better.... until they maybe reach Umaru levels.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:50 am Reply with quote
This series is turning out way better than it was in the first episode. I'm now looking forward to it each week.
lys

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
This was the most "Oh crap!" I felt on a character's behalf at being discovered "out of character" since reading Kare Kano (years ago). It was a very effective scene for me :D (as Gina points out, the long pauses in this show are always perfect.)

I still think the first episode was the funniest. All I really need from the show is to see Tanaka be absolutely useless. (and ugh, hyper-squeaky Miyano can go right out the window. sorry, fans of her.) I love the short episodes (like, 30-seconds short) featuring just that on the Japanese anime site. There's some dialogue but I think most are easy enough to understand from just the visuals :)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Wow, Miyano is sharper than she appears.

Also just realised who the two girls in the bottom left of the series promotional picture is, it is the younger sisters of the boys. Where Tanaka's sister will be the serious type, and Ohta's sister will probably be girly or shy, similar but somewhat different.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3