• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Dark Side of the Moomin

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Didn't the original author of Pippi Longstocking despise Hayao Miyazaki because he tried making an anime adaptation?

I know Ursula K. LeGuin hates the Earthsea anime film.

Fate plays sleight of hand and strange things may converge on the crossroads of time...

Quote:
... You'd think that the studio would heed the wishes of the original creator and relent, but that's not exactly how it went down. This is one of those legendary backroom stories of the anime business—a combination of Jansson's pointed objections and TMS having a new project, Lupin the 3rd, coming up and distracting some senior staff, actually resulted in their Moomin contract being cancelled after 26 episodes and production getting moved over to Mushi Productions, ...

Two of the staff assigned to work on the new Lupin the 3rd were Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata. (Miyazaki also had a small part in Moomin, as key animator)

Yes, his attempt may have been in vain, but not all was lost. A few years later the pair would use those Pippi designs and other preparatory work done for a certain another big feature; Panda! Go, Panda!

Tove Jansson and Astrid Lindgren most likely knew of each other. Tove, hailing from Åland Islands, certainly had strong connections to Sweden, both authors of children's books writing in the same language and giants in their own trade, it would have been stranger if they weren't acquaintances at least. Whether -69s Moomin had an influence on Astrid's decision, well, who knows. Miyazaki's failed attempt was in -71...
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
If you go to the Tokyo Skytree there's a Moomin cafe there.

http://www.tokyo-solamachi.jp/shop/14/

You can actually eat and sit together with the Moomins Smile.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Yuri Fan wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Yuri Fan wrote:
Curiously, most people here in Finland have watched Moomin when they were young, but dislike anime. Little do they know that they had watched anime way back when! Ah, the irony...

Ah, but Moomin is of FINNISH origin. Liking a Moomin anime=/=liking anime, because of said nationalistic sentiment. What's more ironic is that most Finnish cannot speak Swedish to save their lives, even though Jove Jansson was a native Swedish speaker.

That, and Swedish is one of our official languages. But hey, who am I to complain? I can't speak Swedish at all. Then again, I've lived most of my life abroad.

Sorry for the off-topic. Wink

To add another layer of distance to this, the comic strip Tove and Lars worked on was published originally for a British newspaper (and in PLAIN ENGLISH)! Go figure!

It's just universally appealing! Heck, the movie that came out a couple years back was co-produced with a French studio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pobuePSxCdI

vonPeterhof wrote:
Yuri Fan wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
What's more ironic is that most Finnish cannot speak Swedish to save their lives, even though Jove Jansson was a native Swedish speaker.

That, and Swedish is one of our official languages. But hey, who am I to complain? I can't speak Swedish at all. Then again, I've lived most of my life abroad.
I remember seeing posters and flyers for a Moomin exhibition in Osaka last year, and they were peppered with random slogans in Finnish. I was thinking "Um, that's not the language the original books were written in..." Smile

Leave it to some people for not doing the extra research.

Mr. Nescio wrote:
Quote:
I'm also left wondering if we'll get more Moomin anime down the road.
Maybe not anime, but something else is on the way: https://www.moomin.com/en/blog/filmlance-international-to-develop-new-moomin-animation-series/

Still has potential!

Quote:
Quoting from the link:
Quote:
Filmlance International today announced it has entered into a licence agreement with Moomin Characters and Bulls Licensing to develop the new Moomin animation series.

Quote:
Attached to direct is Steve Box, Academy Award winner for Best Animated Feature for Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

Sounds like they have some good talent on this anyway.

GOTZFAUST wrote:
Strange as to why Nippon Animation only sold their stuff to Europe. A partnership with Disney back then (as a predeccesor to Ghibli) would of made sense I guess.

I think Europe tends to be gullible enough to pay the high prices they asked for, or have already been in bed with them for along time not to say no. These companies of course manage to get these things total exposure on national TV in a way only America could dream of (due to limited channel availability).

Blanchimont wrote:
GOTZFAUST wrote:
Strange as to why Nippon Animation only sold their stuff to Europe. A partnership with Disney back then (as a predeccesor to Ghibli) would of made sense I guess.

Then-Disney was a different beast to the Disney we know today.

Also, they had their own storm brewing that almost crashed the whole company, around mid-80s to beginning of -90s, roughly the timeline between The Black Cauldron and The Little Mermaid. Very much doubt they had any prospective interest or time in a foreign property that directly competed with their own, at that point in time...

Those that grew up with The Disney Channel in the 80's may recall a time when they didn't say "No" to a lot of foreign animated features and series that made their way to the network like the Unico movies. They are not that way today. They didn't try to be the original powerhouse they've become in the 90's. Nickelodeon was the same way.

fuuma_monou wrote:
The JET TV Anne of Green Gables dub was pretty good, IIRC. Sounded like it was done in Canada, which is appropriate for the story.

Someone who uploaded many shows on YouTube last year that got removed recently (much to my chagrin) had quite a lot of unique stuff like Maya the Bee, Vicky the Viking, Alice in Wonderland (an anime version done by Nippon Animation) and a obscure Aussie series called "The Zoo Family" (if anyone watched that on Nickelodeon). They had the English dub of "Anne of Green Gables" and I thought it was OK though I thin the dubbing was handled in the UK (people who commented on the first episode complained at how British the people sounded). It's only a shame I didn't save those episodes before they were taken down (I didn't think the guy was legit given the way he had a few US-related stuff up there). Perhaps he should've used Dailymotion instead.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Tove Jansson and Astrid Lindgren most likely knew of each other. Tove, hailing from Åland Islands, certainly had strong connections to Sweden, both authors of children's books writing in the same language and giants in their own trade, it would have been stranger if they weren't acquaintances at least.
The Janssons (at least since Tove's father's generation) were from Helsinki, not from the Ålands. However, her mother was from Sweden.
GOTZFAUST

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I think Europe tends to be gullible enough to pay the high prices they asked for, or have already been in bed with them for along time not to say no. These companies of course manage to get these things total exposure on national TV in a way only America could dream of (due to limited channel availability).

Actually Anime (and Anime production) was cheaper than any other kind of animation production back then.

It was only with the advent of the american market that Japan charged much higher prices.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing this came to America, so perhaps this was on TV at the wrong time for me growing up, but I've never heard (or seen for that matter) of this show before.
Still, fun read. Considering the conflict, it's surprising it kept going.

I'd really love to hear more about this onsen theme park. Onsen visits have become one of my favorite parts of visiting Japan.

Toei Uzumasa Eigamura sounds interesting, not sure when I'll be in Kyoto next though... Is there something similar around the Tokyo area? Well, guess it's the start of a good reason to go back.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:27 am Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:

fuuma_monou wrote:
The JET TV Anne of Green Gables dub was pretty good, IIRC. Sounded like it was done in Canada, which is appropriate for the story.

Someone who uploaded many shows on YouTube last year that got removed recently (much to my chagrin) had quite a lot of unique stuff like Maya the Bee, Vicky the Viking, Alice in Wonderland (an anime version done by Nippon Animation) and a obscure Aussie series called "The Zoo Family" (if anyone watched that on Nickelodeon). They had the English dub of "Anne of Green Gables" and I thought it was OK though I thin the dubbing was handled in the UK (people who commented on the first episode complained at how British the people sounded). It's only a shame I didn't save those episodes before they were taken down (I didn't think the guy was legit given the way he had a few US-related stuff up there). Perhaps he should've used Dailymotion instead.

Ah, Daily Motion. Not quite as strict about copyrights as YouTube.

I recorded a few episodes on VHS then sent them to someone in the U.S. Dunno if the tapes are still viewable.
annasartin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:56 am Reply with quote
It's a shame that old classics like Moomin and all the World Masterpiece Theater series are so neglected in the west. The World Masterpiece Theater series I most wish were available in English is "Katri: Girl of the Meadows" and "A Little Princess Sara".
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
The fact of the matter is if it weren't for the New Moomin series on VHS that my mom got for me and my brother I wouldn't have known about or be interested in Moomin as it is today. So I'm grateful in that sense and have even gotten to read some of the Moomin books too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mints97

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is very interesting, I never knew this was adapted into an anime! I read lots of Moomin books as a kid and absolutely loved them, they were (and still are, I guess) quite popular in Russia (although the translation named the characters Moomi-trolls instead of Moomins for some reason).
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
A friend of mine remembers seeing the German dubbed World Masterpiece Theater version of "Heidi" when she was a girl, and was surprised to realise this meant she'd been watching anime before she knew it even existed.

I vaguely remember some Moomin cartoon when I were a lad, narrated by Richard 'stinker' Murdoch, but apparently that was the Polish version.

It'd be interesting to see the Japanese version, though.
pinder_2009

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
I volunteered at a local anime con a few years ago and there was a panel about the history of World Masterpiece Theatre. Of course I was running the panel room (I assisted the panellists with setup, lighting, whatever they needed) so I was there for the whole thing. Unfortunately it seemed like most people in the room, myself included, had never heard of WMT before, but the panel itself was quite interesting and made me want to check out some of their works. Sadly the panellist said that was probably the last time they were going to do that panel.
Sprocket

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:51 am Reply with quote
I can buy Moomin taking a while to become a phenomenon, but it clearly had its fair share of fans before 1990, considering how many times I've seen Moomins pop up in Tezuka manga.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:49 am Reply with quote
Mints97 wrote:
although the translation named the characters Moomi-trolls instead of Moomins for some reason
In the original books the central family was referred to as "Mumintrollen" ("the Moomin trolls"), with the main character being named simply "Mumintrollet" ("the Moomin troll") and the Mumin- prefix used for other characters' names and for things associated with them (Mumindalen, Muminfamiljen, Muminmamman, etc.). Some of the translations, including the English one, tend to avoid or minimize the use of the word "troll", probably in order to avoid the more negative image associated with it. I for one first learned the word "troll" from the Russian translation of the Moomins, so I was very surprised when I opened a book of more traditional tales about trolls and they were all giant nasty brutes Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2