• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Import Roundup with Shin Megami Tensei

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
I thought that Shantae game was supposed to come to the PS4 as well, but I cannot find any real indication that it is.
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:49 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
I thought that Shantae game was supposed to come to the PS4 as well, but I cannot find any real indication that it is.

I asked Wayforward about that, seeing that Risky's Revenge was released on the PS4. They said the game would be released on PS4 eventually, and gave me a link to this interview. No date set at the time, though.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
irfanf wrote:
Uchikoshi said that this was to give impression that the series have evolved and uses more 3d cinematics, and so that it's more likely to be well-received on the west

Ugh, this line of thinking again. When will Japanese devs realize that pandering to Western aesthetics does not equal to mass appeal and success? For what it's worth, Uchikoshi's art is more distinctive compared to Tomono's. It just look like Tomono aped Steins;Gate's look and somehow made it bland looking. Blaming it on technical issues sounds like a complete cop out to me.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:

Ugh, this line of thinking again. When will Japanese devs realize that pandering to Western aesthetics does not equal to mass appeal and success?

At the same time not pandering to western aesthetics doesn't equal mass appeal and success and is kind of something you have to do if your fellow Japanese aren't digging your games.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
*Claps* Finally a great opinion and not anticipating to how bad it is, sometimes Nintendo fans themselves make me cringe.

Thank you good sir.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Ugh, this line of thinking again. When will Japanese devs realize that pandering to Western aesthetics does not equal to mass appeal and success? .

You could say the same thing about pandering to the "typical" Japanese VN market. It's well known that the first two ZE games sold poorly in Japan, and it's probably because the ZE games have a mostly adult cast and don't take place in a high school among other things. The irony is that this third game is getting made partly because the first two games were a success outside of Japan.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
FalconPunch wrote:
*Claps* Finally a great opinion and not anticipating to how bad it is, sometimes Nintendo fans themselves make me cringe.

Thank you good sir.

If there's one thing I find worse than complainers, it's the people that go out of their way attempting to sweepingly malign them, particularly when their grievances are legitimate. There are reasons most people express their frustration towards Sticker Star and [recently] Color Splash and they go beyond them "just not being like that of Paper Mario 64 and The Thousand Year Door."
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
If there's one thing I find worse than complainers, it's the people that go out of their way attempting to sweepingly malign them, particularly when their grievances are legitimate. There are reasons most people express their frustration towards Sticker Star and [recently] Color Splash and they go beyond them "just not being like that of Paper Mario 64 and The Thousand Year Door."

I'm speaking of the majority I've encountered, to be clear. I haven't really had the experience of speaking with many folks who rationally explain their reasons for their dislike and preconceptions of in-development titles. So no, I'm not worse than the complainers. Don't try to make me into some kind of "all fans are idiots" finger-pointer please, because that's not what I am.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:41 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
Ugh, this line of thinking again. When will Japanese devs realize that pandering to Western aesthetics does not equal to mass appeal and success? .

You could say the same thing about pandering to the "typical" Japanese VN market. It's well known that the first two ZE games sold poorly in Japan, and it's probably because the ZE games have a mostly adult cast and don't take place in a high school among other things. The irony is that this third game is getting made partly because the first two games were a success outside of Japan.

See, it's so easy to just assume those shallow criteria alone are enough to be considered anathema to Japanese audiences when other games like Biohazard, Gyakuten Saiben and many others are as much of a hit in Japan as it is overseas.

And when top VN's like Baldr Sky, Muramasa and White Album 2 Closing Chapter are in most Japanese fans favorites, then it kinda puts your argument into question as well.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:03 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
See, it's so easy to just assume those shallow criteria alone are enough to be considered anathema to Japanese audiences when other games like Biohazard, Gyakuten Saiben and many others are as much of a hit in Japan as it is overseas.

And when top VN's like Baldr Sky, Muramasa and White Album 2 Closing Chapter are in most Japanese fans favorites, then it kinda puts your argument into question as well.

Fair point, but remember I said "among other things"? Here's a Uchikoshi quote from a 2013 Gamasutra feature/interview (bolded mine):

"I extract the characters that I need to make it work," he says. This story-led style is unusual for Japan; generally Japanese creators concentrate on strong casts of characters over intricate plotting -- "as basically that is what sells."

I haven't played Baldr Sky, Muramasa, or White Album, so I can't comment on them, but since those aforementioned games have an adult cast, don't take place in a high school and were successful, I'm just surprised that the Zero Escape games, which share those same qualities, sold "in the red" as Uchikoshi tweeted. Nishimura is a popular artist and I doubt anyone thinks the ZE games have terrible writing. Furthermore, if those three VNs you mentioned are also story-driven, rather than character-focused VNs, then I'm really surprised that the ZE games flopped so hard in Japan.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:53 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
irfanf wrote:
Uchikoshi said that this was to give impression that the series have evolved and uses more 3d cinematics, and so that it's more likely to be well-received on the west

Ugh, this line of thinking again. When will Japanese devs realize that pandering to Western aesthetics does not equal to mass appeal and success? For what it's worth, Uchikoshi's art is more distinctive compared to Tomono's. It just look like Tomono aped Steins;Gate's look and somehow made it bland looking. Blaming it on technical issues sounds like a complete cop out to me.

You're not an economist. Thank God you're not.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:16 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

And I suppose you are? Paiprince didn't claim to be an economist. Not sure what your angle is. What's the relevancy?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
The main games actually tell fairly dark and decent coming of age stories, especially Burst/the original. I guess that would require one to look past the gratuitous fanservice the game's have though. I didn't enjoy SV because character arcs weren't balanced.

Hopefully, Estival's different in that regard because I really dig the character arcs that the main games have.
"I'd rather masturbate to actual hentai."
~ Jim f*cking Sterling son

"This is not to my tastes so no one else should be able to enjoy it either."
~ A killjoy
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

And I suppose you are? Paiprince didn't claim to be an economist. Not sure what your angle is. What's the relevancy?

Not much for him.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Alrighty, I think it';s time for everyone to take a breather and calm down.

For starters BadNewsBlues & Fronzel you both need to stop making trollish posts that only serve to antagonize others. Poking at a bad situation does nothing to help and only makes things worse. You both also have done this before in other threads. So both of you consider this your first official warning. Do not exacerbate situations with trollish posts like the ones right above my post. Stay on the topic of the thread or move on to another.

As for you Paiprince and NearEasternerJ1 consider this the FINAL warning either of you will receive. You both have been warned multiple times about your conduct and behavior. Your last posts were deleted and PM's are being sent to you both. I suggest you read them and I highly suggest you both move on from this thread.

Any further insulting or trollish posts, from anyone, in this thread will simply be removed on the spot. Thank you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2