• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Signs Deal With Fuji TV to Exclusively Stream Noitamina Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kushiel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
I'm under the impression western anime fans are volume watchers, not individual show watchers. As in, quantity over quality. A wide selection is more important than one prestige show, as opposed to the streaming services using a couple of high-profile shows to draw subscribers in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:27 am Reply with quote
I don't have Amazon Prime and I'm not interested in paying for yet another streaming service. Already subscribed to Funi, Crunchyroll, and Netflix and I have a free membership to Hulu. Just like Daisuki or Neon Alley, spreading out anime titles for exclusive streaming only comes off as non-user friendly and a total chore to keep up with each sites's library. At least with Funi and Crunchyroll, if the two sites shared streaming rights, you could bounce between them if their player cooperative. As excited as I was for Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, I might have to reconsider the method of watching the series. Same goes for future Noitamina block anime.

@kushiel: I sort of feel the same way about U.S anime fans particularity newer fans. There is a minority where people will watch only the most popular/controversial shows and another minority that prefer to select shows that end up as cult classics (not popular but has a dedicated and LOUD fanbase). Personally, I like convenience over exclusive in terms of watching any show online where as with purchasing, if the show is worth it I'm willing to pay for the best release possible.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:36 am Reply with quote
I may have shouted "NOOOOOOO!" out loud. (Fortunately, I was alone in my apartment.) Seriously, though, I can't justify paying $99 for a single show a season, even if that's a noitaminA show. It's really a shame. And it sucks even harder for those living in regions Prime isn't available in. (It feels like streaming is telling those regions to just suck it even more lately...)
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:38 am Reply with quote
Why... Well whatever. I'm going back to torrenting. I'm not going to pay for Amazon Prime and if CR ever gets to a point where it can't get as many shows anymore due to everyone jumping on the anime bandwagon then they're not worth a subscription either.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:48 am Reply with quote
Unless a new company comes along, I doubt we'll see anyone else getting into the business. Viewster is closing up shop, licensing wise. All the streaming sites in the US either already are streaming anime or are associated with TV channels which do not play anime, and therefore have no interest in streaming it. Who else could get in the market?
Relairknight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:50 am Reply with quote
I love amazon prime, if you order a ton of stuff, which I do, it ends up paying for itself in the free 2 day shipping. Getting prime video is a great bonus, I look forward to more anime like this being available!
chito895

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:03 am Reply with quote
¡VIVA AMAZON, GODDAMIT!

So I was getting excited for the "Scum's wish" adaptation to only learn (2 minutes later) that Noitamina series will be only streamed at a service that is only available for North America. And then there's Saekano, which will most likely be available at Crunchyroll because it is owned by Aniplex, but still!

Usually Noitamina block series are very enjoyable and entertaining (Ping Pong, Erased, Terror in Resonance) and I'm always looking forward to those shows. So this really sucks. (And the worst part is that I can't even use proxys to watch them)
MavenRaven

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:36 am Reply with quote
Eh, guess I won't be watching it then. I have Prime, but I'm letting it expire soon because I don't get enough use out of it. Adding one anime a season won't change anything either.

It's sad, because Noitamina has had well-regarded anime, such as Psycho-Pass, Your Lie in April, and Erased. I'm really hoping that the exclusive rights are only for Amazon Japan, and that Crunchyroll or Funimation will still be able to get some of the shows.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:
Screw you, Amazon. Why would I pay $99 a year for this?

It breaks down to $8.25 per month, and you get two day shipping and a few other services thrown in. The only real problems are (A) regional restrictions screw over non-American fans, and (B) this furthers the fragmentation of streaming services.
Johnamine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
MavenRaven wrote:
Eh, guess I won't be watching it then. I have Prime, but I'm letting it expire soon because I don't get enough use out of it. Adding one anime a season won't change anything either.

It's sad, because Noitamina has had well-regarded anime, such as Psycho-Pass, Your Lie in April, and Erased. I'm really hoping that the exclusive rights are only for Amazon Japan, and that Crunchyroll or Funimation will still be able to get some of the shows.

Amazon gets the worldwide streaming rights of "Kabaneri Of the Iron Fortress", so it is more likely that Amazon gets the worldwide streaming rights of other upcoming Noitamina shows under the same deal.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
rahzel rose wrote:

It breaks down to $8.25 per month, and you get two day shipping and a few other services thrown in. The only real problems are (A) regional restrictions screw over non-American fans, and (B) this furthers the fragmentation of streaming services.

Maybe so, but current "normal" for a show on DVD/BD is around $40, so the point stands, why pay $100 to watch 1 show when you can just wait for it on disc for half the price. If you're gonna pay the same price to watch it ANYWAY why not own it. And the fragmentation is ridiculous. I agree with others that the market has a limit on how many individual services they're going to accept. If Japan shoots itself in the foot by giving "exclusives" to a dozen different services, MOST of those services are gonna fold and the anime industry is gonna be setting itself up for another "bust" end of the cycle.

It's disappointing that this show has to be the "test case" for this, since I knew nothing about it but after checking it due to this story I'm intrigued by Haruhiko Mikimoto character designs, but I am NOT paying for ANOTHER streaming service.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

Maybe so, but current "normal" for a show on DVD/BD is around $40, so the point stands, why pay $100 to watch 1 show when you can just wait for it on disc for half the price. If you're gonna pay the same price to watch it ANYWAY why not own it. And the fragmentation is ridiculous. I agree with others that the market has a limit on how many individual services they're going to accept. If Japan shoots itself in the foot by giving "exclusives" to a dozen different services, MOST of those services are gonna fold and the anime industry is gonna be setting itself up for another "bust" end of the cycle.

It's disappointing that this show has to be the "test case" for this, since I knew nothing about it but after checking it due to this story I'm intrigued by Haruhiko Mikimoto character designs, but I am NOT paying for ANOTHER streaming service.

Actually $40 a show assumes one disc per show, when it's more like 3. So it's actually $120 per show not $40, so $100 is reasonable. Though if they get one show per season, that puts it down to about $25 per show, which is better than even your quoted price.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Actually $40 a show assumes one disc per show, when it's more like 3. So it's actually $120 per show not $40, so $100 is reasonable. Though if they get one show per season, that puts it down to about $25 per show, which is better than even your quoted price.

Do we know how long Kabaneri is going to be? In America (don't know about other countries) a 1-cour (11-13 episodes) show is normally around $40. Go look at Amazon right now and there's plenty of shows in that range, which is why Aniplex gets so much grief for going outside that range.
Hersh31

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
If this show makes it's way onto Amazon Prime Streaming in the USA, that would just be icing on the cake for I have Amazon Prime Student.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
rahzel rose wrote:

The other part of the post was "I don't want to support this business. I hate its business practices and I never use the site at all." These are my feelings too. I don't know how many of us there are, but we have good reasons to choose not to support Amazon in any way, and restricting a show to its service does effectively bar us from watching it. I refuse to pirate media too, so I'd be compromising my conscience either way.

(I'm aware it's a privilege to choose not to support a company, rather than having some reason you literally can't access it.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7