• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Signs Deal With Fuji TV to Exclusively Stream Noitamina Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz201

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
lys wrote:
The other part of the post was "I don't want to support this business. I hate its business practices and I never use the site at all." These are my feelings too. I don't know how many of us there are, but we have good reasons to choose not to support Amazon in any way, and restricting a show to its service does effectively bar us from watching it. I refuse to pirate media too, so I'd be compromising my conscience either way.

(I'm aware it's a privilege to choose not to support a company, rather than having some reason you literally can't access it.)

Yes, and it's your "privilege" to not watch noitaminA shows. Fuji don't owe you a goddamn thing and if Amazon offer them money (and I'm willing to bet Amazon are paying a heck of a lot more than Funimation or Crunchyroll would), why shouldn't they take it?

As much as this is disappointing for fans, I certainly don't blame Fuji for taking the deal or Amazon for pursuing it.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
@Buzz201, yes, I'm quite aware. I don't expect or feel owed anything by any publisher/business, as a rule. I'm just reiterating that this is a disappointing move for fans for a multitude of reasons.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest, while I have Amazon Prime and I live in America so coverage shouldn't be an issue, this still really bugs me. I really don't like the possibility of the anime streaming space getting fractured to the point where I'd have to subscribe to a ton of different places just to get what I want to watch from the new season.

On an unrelated note, Amazon didn't also get the home video rights as well to keep the shows completely exclusive to Amazon Video (like their Amazon original series) right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Buzz201

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
I'll be honest, while I have Amazon Prime and I live in America so coverage shouldn't be an issue, this still really bugs me. I really don't like the possibility of the anime streaming space getting fractured to the point where I'd have to subscribe to a ton of different places just to get what I want to watch from the new season.

On an unrelated note, Amazon didn't also get the home video rights as well to keep the shows completely exclusive to Amazon Video (like their Amazon original series) right?

Amazon has said all of it's original series will get home video rights too, so even if they had it wouldn't be an issues.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

Maybe so, but current "normal" for a show on DVD/BD is around $40, so the point stands, why pay $100 to watch 1 show when you can just wait for it on disc for half the price.

But you aren't paying for one show. You're paying for a streaming service with multiple titles, no different from a CR or Funi subscription. Prime includes most (all?) of the Sentai library, including stuff from The Anime Network that's not available on CR, and several feature films like Patema Inverted and Letters to Momo, not to mention regular live action movies.

There are reasons why this sucks, but the price point isn't one of them.
Hidders

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Do we know how long Kabaneri is going to be?
Seeing as Battery and Fune wo Amu also been announced for July and October's Noitamina block, I think it's safe to say that both Kabaneri and Battery will be 1-cour series.

Last edited by Hidders on Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
Hidders wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
Do we know how long Kabaneri is going to be?
Seeing as Battery and Fune wo Amu also been announced for July and October's Noitamina block, I thik it's safe to say that both Kabaneri and Battery will be 1-cour series.

Fixed it for you
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
But you aren't paying for one show. You're paying for a streaming service with multiple titles, no different from a CR or Funi subscription. (...)
There are reasons why this sucks, but the price point isn't one of them.

My PERSONAL issue is with the fracturing. However, from a price perspective, if I wanted any of the other Amazon Prime programming I would ALREADY have Amazon Prime, the fact that I don't proves that it is not a driver (at best it'd be a "sweetener") for me. Which means, of the content I am CURRENTLY aware of, I'd be paying for one show, at which point I may as well just buy that one show.

Another PERSONAL issue I have with this is the same issue I have with FUNimation. I run Ubuntu (not Windows) at home, and in their zeal to protect their material FUNi and Amazon Prime both have their own utility that doesn't play particularly well with my operating system. That alone is ANOTHER reason I hate the fracturing. If there was one standard "portal" and CR/FUNi/Prime/etc were just premium "channels" (like HBO) then I'd be more inclined to subscribe to more CHANNELS. The FACT that I not only need to subscribe to multiple services but ALSO need to deal with each one's particular gimmick for presenting the material is just a giant pain in the @$$.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
^Have you considered getting something like a Roku? Effectively it turns the various subscriptions into channels (though their GUI is a little different between each channel). You don't have to worry about whether it will work with the operating system. Roku has all the streaming services, so you don't have to worry about availability. Plus you can watch it all on the TV. I don't know if you have access to an HDMI TV though.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^Have you considered getting something like a Roku? Effectively it turns the various subscriptions into channels (though their GUI is a little different between each channel). You don't have to worry about whether it will work with the operating system. Roku has all the streaming services, so you don't have to worry about availability. Plus you can watch it all on the TV. I don't know if you have access to an HDMI TV though.

Just thought I'd throw in there that my gf and I have a Roku. It is amazing and works brilliantly. We actually cut out the second dvr cable box and replaced it with the roku. Saves us some money each month and now all the streaming services we have are in one place in the bedroom. Still got the cable box out in the family room, but that's where the Xbox One is and where the PS4 will be.

As for the news itself while I can understand why Fuji made the deal it does put a black cloud over the streaming problem. A larger black cloud I should say. For anime fans it is becoming a bit ridiculous the amount of streaming services you have to be a part of to watch everything you want. You really have to evaluate how much you're going to use certain services before signing up. We just dropped our CR plan down a grade in fact. Don't need the ++ service. We currently have the all access pass for Funi but will probably drop to the sub only pass once the current one ends in 3 months.
laceblade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
This sucks. I try to avoid giving money to Amazon at all costs because I like and support independent bookstores. I'm far too lazy to track down illegal files, so I guess I just won't be watching anything in the Noitamina block anymore. :/
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Being "outraged" by this is tantamount to being "outraged" that any subscription-based streaming service other than your favorite gets a show you might have liked. It's a very straightforward business practice - Amazon thinks it has a chance to make a bigger splash in the anime streaming space than others, made a deal with a provider of that content, and became the distributor of the streaming of that content.

Based on my admittedly limited use of Prime Video, I prefer it over Funimation's video player. For a long time I didn't use Funimation's service at all because it was a pain in the butt. Heck, even now Funimation's player is a frustrating mess a lot of the time. Their new app is barely any better functionally than their last. If all this move by Amazon does is push Funimation to put more real effort into it's services, then that's great. Or, given the resources that Amazon has at its disposal, perhaps they can be the source of the consolidation that everyone keeps hoping for.

Or is criticism of Amazon's move simply because they "aren't an anime company" or solely a streaming provider the way Netflix is. If so, then that's an unfortunate position to take. For $8.25 a month, it is cheaper than most other streaming services, with the bonus of those sweeteners. I would suggest that Prime implement a quarterly or monthly option as well, to make the cost structure easier to bear, or potentially mix-match seasons as I know some people do with Funi and Crunchy.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Let's see how this experimentation will turn out.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:12 pm Reply with quote
This will blow up in their face. Streaming services are already stretched thin to begin with, and now they think people are gonna pay 99 dollars for another one? If it's good, most people are just gonna stream it or download it from the usual place.

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
SnowyLightning44 wrote:
Its weird that Amazon have just suddenly decided to getting into the streaming anime game just like that

Not really. They've had a modest back catalog for several years now, and with Netflix and Hulu getting into the streaming market big time... It was only a matter of time before Amazon decided that it had better get a slice of that pie too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7