• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Signs Deal With Fuji TV to Exclusively Stream Noitamina Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:16 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Unless it's hidden, that option isn't available in the US

You might have to do a lot of digging to find it. They don't publicise it in the UK and it's very well hidden, but it does actually exist.

In the UK it's hidden on the "Upgrade Your Prime Membership" section of the site, but you have to be logged in and already a Prime member (or on a Prime trial) to access it. There's probably another way, but I couldn't find it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
So here we are after seven pages, and not one comment about this might be a benefit for those of us who are long-standing noitaminA viewers?

noitaminA was always intended as a programming slot with more adult-oriented content supported by advertising revenues. As far as I can tell, that has been a difficult course to maintain. After the recession, noitaminA seemed to lose its distinctiveness as revenues dried up. They tried to compensate via streaming deals with Crunchyroll and Funimation, but Amazon offers the prospect for more substantial and reliable funding.

Also Amazon clearly has a very good idea what types of shows sell to its customer base from its years of DVD, BD, and manga sales. This decision tells me that Amazon sees value in anime that targets an older audience. Their investment may enable Fuji to continue offering shows like Hataraki Man, Nodame Cantabile, House of Five Leaves, and ERASED.

I'm already a Prime subscriber, but I can understand people's frustration with the continued fragmentation of the streaming marketplace. I expect this may reflect more the growing pains of a new method of anime distribution. I used to think all streaming would ultimately become consolidated by the Japanese licensors themselves. Now as Netflix and Amazon expand into foreign markets, I can see them becoming the primary vehicles for anime streaming worldwide.

I watch Funimation and Crunchyroll over the web from a computer running Ubuntu connected to an LG TV. Amazon certainly has not been the friendliest platform for Ubuntu users, but I think streaming to PCs will become less and less important in the years ahead. Along with standalone devices like the Roku and Amazon Fire, most modern TVs now come with built-in players and apps for all main services like Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu. Most people aren't interested in using a PC to stream video; they'd rather buy a Roku box or a "smart" TV that comes preconfigured to use with their preferred service providers.

One thing the article did not make clear for me: It sounds like this deal is solely between Fuji and Amazon. Is Sony/A-1 no longer a partner in noitaminA? When Sony joined in, the slot expanded to a full hour, with one show from A-1 and one from a different studio under contract to Fuji (e.g., Samurai Flamenco + Galilei Donna/Silver Spoon 2). The slot contracted back to half-an-hour in 2015 with, apparently, A-1 getting two shows per year and Fuji the other two. Is Amazon only funding the Fuji shows and leaving Sony to finance the others, or did Amazon contract for all four shows each year?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7