• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - First Impressions: Senran Kagura: Estival Versus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Smash seems like an odd choice to use though. It's a casual party game and the lengths people have to go to to make it a competitive fighter essentially destroy the entire point of the game. Removing items and dynamic stages pretty much kills the appeal of the game for me.

Tell me about it. People have essentially turned all of the Smash titles into the second coming of Street Fighter, putting everyone into tiers and debating who's at the top and bottom of the ladders. I remember when the original Smash was all about having wacky fun with Nintendo characters hilariously beating the crap out of each other. But if you ever dare to point that out, you get labeled a "filthy casual" and accused of "not knowing how to truly play Smash". It's quite nauseating. That's why I completely avoid Smash 3DS's For Glory mode; no matter how you play, your username gets put up on GameFAQs for everyone to bash and insult. I'm so glad I stick to online matches with my friends.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
Smash seems like an odd choice to use though. It's a casual party game and the lengths people have to go to to make it a competitive fighter essentially destroy the entire point of the game. Removing items and dynamic stages pretty much kills the appeal of the game for me.

Tell me about it. People have essentially turned all of the Smash titles into the second coming of Street Fighter, putting everyone into tiers and debating who's at the top and bottom of the ladders. I remember when the original Smash was all about having wacky fun with Nintendo characters hilariously beating the crap out of each other. But if you ever dare to point that out, you get labeled a "filthy casual" and accused of "not knowing how to truly play Smash". It's quite nauseating. That's why I completely avoid Smash 3DS's For Glory mode; no matter how you play, your username gets put up on GameFAQs for everyone to bash and insult. I'm so glad I stick to online matches with my friends.

But......but......the whole point of Smash was to be a casual fighter that didn't take itself seriously....I.....I think I have to go lay down my head is suddenly starting to ache for some reason.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
But......but......the whole point of Smash was to be a casual fighter that didn't take itself seriously....I.....I think I have to go lay down my head is suddenly starting to ache for some reason.

Exactly my point. As I said, it's been turned into the second coming of Street Fighter. Its original intention as a wacky casual fighter has been apparently nullified by these crazy tourney-obsessed freaks.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm a Senran Kagura fan but I can understand why the author and many others on this thread are uncomfortable with this series, considering the large amounts of fan service that has been prevalent since it's humble beginnings. Also, sorry this post might very long.

That being said I'm really digging Estival Versus. Wall attacks are a really cool addition to the gameplay and for the most part, the re-balancing of the character move sets and stats has worked out in my advantage. So far my favorite characters to play are Asuka, Hikage and Shiki. I feel that Katsuragi and Haruka got a downgrade in damage output, since Shinovi Versus (I won't compare there Deep Crimson counterparts as that series works differently when compared to the versus series).

I'm a little sad that they trying usurp the title of main character from Asuka. While I like Yumi, she just doesn't have the full on shonen spirit that comes with Asuka's character. Hell, spoiler[Hanzo even stole Asuka's side quest arc from her (which was still pretty funny)].

The story has been pretty cool this time as well. It still follows the "Duty vs. Ideal" types of story lines from past games. spoiler[It's been nice to see the girls reunite with their loved ones and struggle with their decision to either return home or stay in this new paradise.] There has been plenty of character development and the comedy has been on point so far. I can't wait to play more of the game.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
That's what I've been wondering myself ever since the color-commemorated Special Edition 2DS bundles of Pokémon were debuted in Europe, but not in America. Why the gaming companies are constantly giving their American customers the shaft when it comes to Collector's Edition's, I'll never know. Confused

It used to not be that way. I remember when it was the opposite, that North Americans got the bundles while Europeans got nothing. Then, the Mario Kart games were given priority in Europe when it was discovered they sold better in Europe than any other region, and I guess it kind of snowballed from there.

Europe IS a major market, and with some franchises, it's the biggest market of all.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:24 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
It used to not be that way. I remember when it was the opposite, that North Americans got the bundles while Europeans got nothing. Then, the Mario Kart games were given priority in Europe when it was discovered they sold better in Europe than any other region, and I guess it kind of snowballed from there.

Europe IS a major market, and with some franchises, it's the biggest market of all.

Mario Kart selling better in Europe than America... That's news to me, considering how generally smaller Europe's market is compared to that of America...
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
[/quote] I imagine it's a label used to identify what the average gaming culture is like these days. I imagine to be a real gamer you have to watch streamers on Twitch and YouTube, play all the overhyped AAA games, all the fad indie games, collect Funko Pops, live on Doritos and Mountain Dew, and maybe dabble in D&D or Magic the Gathering on the side. I don't do any of that so I always hesitate to call myself a gamer considering that's what the word means in most media these days and if I ever admit to someone in public I like video games they assume I do all those things.

-Stuart Smith[/quote]

No. Real gamers don't play COD either. A gamer plays Mario, Pokemon, Sonic and games where garbage storylines and graphics overshadow the gameplay. I don't like either Japanese or Western gamers. They're both misguided non-gamers.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:37 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
No. Real gamers don't play COD either. A gamer plays Mario, Pokemon, Sonic and games where garbage storylines and graphics overshadow the gameplay. I don't like either Japanese or Western gamers. They're both misguided non-gamers.

Reminds me of one obnoxious dude who spread BS like game design is universal for every genre (i.e. you should design RTS the same way you design 2D platformer). Sometimes it's great to think more openly.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Mario Kart selling better in Europe than America... That's news to me, considering how generally smaller Europe's market is compared to that of America...

Yep, it's been that way since at least Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Even now, if you look at the people online in Mario Kart 8, Europeans outnumber Americans (both continents) and Japan.

Europe's population is about 500 million, by the way, with a very fast Internet infrastructure. And video games are nice and compact, not needing a lot of space. Together, it's easy to see why Europe is such a big and enthusiastic market.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Yep, it's been that way since at least Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Even now, if you look at the people online in Mario Kart 8, Europeans outnumber Americans (both continents) and Japan.

Europe's population is about 500 million, by the way, with a very fast Internet infrastructure. And video games are nice and compact, not needing a lot of space. Together, it's easy to see why Europe is such a big and enthusiastic market.

No it hasn't. DD sold 3.8 million in the US. It sold 800,000 in Japan. The game sold 7 million in total.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, that's odd. Maybe I'm confusing it with another Mario Kart game. What were the numbers for Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Hmm, that's odd. Maybe I'm confusing it with another Mario Kart game. What were the numbers for Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8?

I couldn't find any sales numbers for Mario Kart 8, but according to VGChartz, Mario Kart 7's sales in the U.S. is 4.62 million, while Europe's is 3.77 million.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

I've been ignoring you until you wrote this piece of work. Pray tell how you third world master race gamers contribute to "hardcore gaming?"
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

Gamers play whatever they want like they've been doing since the days of the Atari and all those other awful 80's game consoles
(sans the original NES.)

I honestly didn't know that there was a prerequisite for being labeled a "real gamer".
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I couldn't find any sales numbers for Mario Kart 8, but according to VGChartz, Mario Kart 7's sales in the U.S. is 4.62 million, while Europe's is 3.77 million.

Hmm, okay then. Looks like I was wrong.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Gamers play whatever they want like they've been doing since the days of the Atari and all those other awful 80's game consoles
(sans the original NES.)

I honestly didn't know that there was a prerequisite for being labeled a "real gamer".

When you have a divide in a group of fans, or a new group of fans pop up with little in common with the existing fans, "No True Scotsman" inevitably will come up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6