• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Incomplete "Complete Collections"

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLHarrie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
So, Sentai has done it again. I know they are not the only ones to do this, but it seems they drop the ball in this way more than any other company. In this case I am speaking of the Fate / Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya 2wei! "Complete Collection" on Blu Ray. The package clearly states "Includes all 10 episodes & shorts", but this is not true. Now, I will grudgingly forgive them for not bothering to include the OVA with the set (though they managed to do so for season 1), as the packaging makes no mention of it. But the fact that they only included 3 out of the 5 shorts is really frustrating and disappointing. It can't be "Complete" or "all 10 episodes and shorts" if 2 are missing. So, my questions are as follows: Does this qualify as false advertising? More importantly, is there any way to force Sentai to take note of the issue and cease making false claims / producing sub-standard products? I don't want to make a profit off of this, but I do want to be heard and I want them to change this practice. In other words, I want to give Sentai a virtual "smack" and I want this community's help to do so. I look forward to your comments and suggestions.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Based on what you've said, the packaging only says "includes all 10 episodes and shorts," not "includes all 10 episodes and all 5 shorts." So technically it's true, if you interpret the text as saying "includes all 10 episodes and some shorts" or "includes all 10 episodes and at least 2 shorts."

Though I do agree that it's an unfortunate situation.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:48 am Reply with quote
JLHarrie wrote:
So, my questions are as follows: Does this qualify as false advertising? More importantly, is there any way to force Sentai to take note of the issue and cease making false claims / producing sub-standard products? I don't want to make a profit off of this, but I do want to be heard and I want them to change this practice. In other words, I want to give Sentai a virtual "smack" and I want this community's help to do so. I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Well you could always complain on their Facebook or Twitter pages and maybe other people will complain too giving them the "virtual smack" that you desire. Just remember that it might not have been done with the intent to be misleading or malicious, it could have been just plain laziness on their part (companies unfortunately do that too). The other thing to recall is that it might have been all that they could get from Japan and Sentai isn't holding back on fans to just screw them and technically it is "complete collection" for North America since they wont be able to get the rest from the license owners (Though I do recall them having the OVA for Elfen Lied for years and they just kept re-releasing the show without it). Not that I'm defending Sentai (god no) and I do think it is worth pointing out to them (without being nasty otherwise they will just delete your comments) that they could describe their titles better. Maybe they should have said "The Complete Season with/and extras".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1