• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Patrol Luluco (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:27 am Reply with quote

Space Patrol Luluco (TV)

Genres : comedy, science fiction

Plot Summary: Ogikubo is the name of the specially designated area in space in the Milky Way where Earthlings and aliens can live together. Luluco is a female middle school student who lives with her father, and no matter where she is, Luluco is a common, "super normal" girl. As she is living her normal life, one day the mysterious transfer student ΑΩ Nova abruptly appears before her. That meeting will change Luluco's fate.
------------------------------------------------

Episode 1

This appears to be a shorts series, that alone means there will not be a lot to talk about but I think I have a bit to do so after the first episode. This is being done by Trigger, but not only that it is being directed by Imaishi and it really feels like it. My immediate thoughts is that it is quite similar to Kill la Kill, more specifically if fully followed Mako's pace.

I found it a lot of fun. Alone I laughed at just the introduction of the weird flaming skeleton guy with black desk as so humorously out of place, and then the continued "under arrest" and free bit. Or the gun transformation. Feels really fun for being so short, and looks good too with its style.

The ED was bugging me, this tone felt familiar. It finally hit me that it is a lot like the OP from Yurikuma Arashi, and sure enough it is performed by Bonjour Suzuki.
law240

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying this A LOT I've already re-watched it like a dozen times.

it's professionally "cartoony" it's not going for gripping realism or movie like cinematic's

it's color pallet is simple bright and loud. with that absurd body transformation you can only get from Trigger now it seems.

Anime wise it's just right.
oansun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:39 am Reply with quote
Broken family/orphan: check
Jokes based on repetition: yep
Absurd body contortion/movement: betcha
Big Bright Colors~!: much so

If you like Imaishi and need that output before his presumable next big project, devote the 12 minutes here. Not being the biggest fan of his, I enjoyed this experimental (more than usual even) adventure for him. And we aren't even fully into the Space Patrol yet. Hoping the best is to come as it's started fun.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm not usually big on humor-by-repetition though here it doesn't become annoying. There were enough amusing things going on in the first episode for me to watch more.

Did anyone else think of Police Squad when the revolving light appeared on her head?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Is her town modeled on the Shinkuju district?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Is her town modeled on the Shinkuju district?

I don't think so. There are nowhere near the amount of skyscrapers in Luluco's town to be modeled after Shinjuku. Her town is most likely modeled on the real-life Ogikubo.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:42 am Reply with quote
For some reason, I like this series more than the Kiznaiver one so far in terms of comedy. A lot of craziness going around still and I like the whole space pirate theme from the latest episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Midori rocks my world.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:39 am Reply with quote
Episode uh... 6? I think? What is up with their episode numbering? I think we've had a season finale 3 times now.

Why didn't they just microwave him in the first place? Anyway, I believe I detect Life Fibers...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

*clapping*
I took a break for a bit and just caught up on the new episodes. With the appearance of her mother appearing to have life fibres in her clothes I was kind of enjoying the little nods to Kill la Kill, but then we had this episode. It was super Kill la Kill, a Life fibre planet, Guts aliens, but best of all there was Before my Body is Dry after the life fibre creature pulls a Satsuki or Ragyo like shining light of presence moment.

Luluco has an obvious similarity to Mako, so it had a kind of funny moment of if Mako was the star instead and the Life Fibre hilariously catches itself on fire, after Luluco is totally ignoring the evil monologue. I really enjoyed this as a fan of Kill la Kill.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:25 am Reply with quote
So we didn't get to see what Nova's ultimate desire is did we?
Brett-Butler

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
At the end of the episode, Nova referred to the Ultimate Desire as a "he", which either suggests that a) It's not Luloco, or b) something was lost in translation (I believe that Japanese doesn't have gender specific pronouns? Correct me if I'm mistaken).
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:07 am Reply with quote
Brett-Butler wrote:
At the end of the episode, Nova referred to the Ultimate Desire as a "he", which either suggests that a) It's not Luloco, or b) something was lost in translation (I believe that Japanese doesn't have gender specific pronouns? Correct me if I'm mistaken).
It does, they're just not mandatory. The one Nova used was 彼, kare, which is exclusively masculine in modern Japanese.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
I had the humorous thought that he saw the same thing as Luluco, himself.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Ah the Kill la Kill OST from the start of the "third season". Still great to listen to Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2