• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What anime do you want to see redubbed?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
With the rise of anime dubbing kickstarters, which anime do you think deserve a better English dub cast? My pick is the second YYH movie cause I can't watch it without the Funi cast doing it. Also the Devilman OVA tbh.

Last edited by Lizzie_B on Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I cannot think of anything.

I would have said Sailor Moon S and SuperS, but I think that is being taken care of by Viz.

I have not heard any other dubs that bother me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
12skippy21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Easy. The Higurashi no naku koro ni dub. Still the only dub that I have zero tolerance for. From memory this is the only bad dub I remember which was for a great show. There are plenty of bad dubs but some are pure gold, i.e. plenty of hentai fit into this catergory (the dub is the only reason I would recommend Bible Black to anyone).
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
^ Personally, I never thought Higurashi's dub was bad persay- just meh. It sure was pointless, though! When the day comes when I take on the full series, I'll be watching it in Japanese.

In my opinion, Nanoha really needed a better dub, and I only watched the first ten minutes of the first episode before bailing out. I've heard mixed reception for the series back in my early high school days, and I decided to try it out. To this day, Nanoha is the ONLY dub that made me cringe.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Patlabor: The Movie. The dub was so bad that that I stopped watching after the opening credits ran.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Just a reminder: no one-liners or listing, which for purposes of this thread means "just saying a title or two with no explanation of why they should be redubbed."
mbanu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. The animation is gorgeous, but the (not very good) dub-only release discourages a lot of people from watching it.

The English voice-acting industry has matured in the past decade -- if the cash could be raised to attract top talent away from the higher-paying games market where they normally reside, I think this could do pretty well.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Boy, I find myself thoroughly disagreeing so far on all of the dubs that I'm familiar with (which means not YYH or Nanoha). Granted, I may be a little more lenient on English dubs than many Western anime fans, but I never thought any of those were even close to being problematic.

My first pick here is Fantastic Children, a great series saddled with an absolutely (and inarguably) horrific English dub; really, I challenge you to find anyone who thinks that dub is even tolerable in English, much less good. The other, more well-known choice would probably be Crest of the Stars. The casting choices were reasonable, the dubs for that franchise did gradually get better, and not all of the performances were uniformly bad, but too many of the dub performances in the franchise's first entry came off stilted. Hence I principally blame the direction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
My top pick would have been Noein. The southern accent used by physicist Ryouko's voice actor made her sound like she had just left a meeting of the Birmingham, Alabama, chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy. I didn't find the kids' actors very persuasive at all either. I switched back and forth between the English and Japanese tracks during a couple of conversations between Haruka and Ai and thought the English actresses were distinctly inferior. And, of course, there's the issue with poor accenting on the English pronounciations of the Japanese names like "Ha-ROO-ka" for the much more softly accented "Haruka." It seemed as though the English director and the actors never really listened to the Japanese track before doing their performances.

I had hoped that Funimation might redub this show when they took over the old Media Blasters license and re-released it some months back. I haven't done a careful comparison to my MB DVDs, but It sounds pretty much identical to what I recall of the original, so I think Funimation just included the MB dub, warts and all.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
@yuna49 What does pronunciation have to do with anything? If we followed your logic, the Japanese version of Cowboy Bebop is bad because the pronunciations aren't exactly like they are supposed to be.

Before you go, "the English crew have a reference in the Japanese version", no. Just no. Pronunciation of the same word in two different languages can vary due to linguistic differences.

You can't even pronounce "Daesh" in English. My Arabic name cannot be 100% reproduced in English. The difference between Arabic sounds and English sounds does not allow for that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_the_Islamic_State_of_Iraq_and_the_Levant#Daesh_and_variants

Stop complaining about a non-issue.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I can pronounce "Haruka" with same sounds and syllable accenting as the Japanese actors in Noein do. Why can't the English actors? It's not a "non-issue;" the pronunciation sounds wrong if you have listened to the Japanese track. It's nothing like the difference between Arabic and English. Heck, just yesterday I heard a discussion on the radio with someone who said the Arabic spoken in Egypt is sometimes incomprehensible to Arabic speakers from Dubai.

Let's just agree to disagree. It's not worth taking up space here.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
For the record, as an Arab (albeit a Jewish one) I'm well aware between the differences in Arabic dialects and sounds. I understand both Gulf and Yemeni Arabic.

My point stands, though. But yeah, I won't delve into dub pronunciation. Too much hassle.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
My first pick here is Fantastic Children, a great series saddled with an absolutely (and inarguably) horrific English dub; really, I challenge you to find anyone who thinks that dub is even tolerable in English, much less good.

Oh lord yes. I tend to have a pretty high tolerance for dubs that most people consider mediocre at best (hell I'll even give the Crest of the Stars one at least a shot whenever I get around to it), but the warnings against Fantastic Children in English were so overwhelmingly dire that I didn't even consider trying it for a moment. When I bought the DVDs I finally tried sitting through a few minutes, just to see if it was really as heinous as everyone said...it was worse. The fact that a major R1 distributor actually thought that outsourcing a dub to Odex of all people was a good decision still blows my mind.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:43 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
My first pick here is Fantastic Children, a great series saddled with an absolutely (and inarguably) horrific English dub; really, I challenge you to find anyone who thinks that dub is even tolerable in English, much less good.

::sheepishly raises hand:: I absolutely agree that it's a terrible dub. However...I have gotten used to it, because I honestly enjoy listening to Edward Choy Keng Choong's voice (Thoma). Embarassed So I put up with the rest of the cast for this and Zipang and Shonen Onmiyouji just to hear him, and in the process have grown quite comfortable with the crew he usually acts with, though I still can't say I really like them. So yeah, terrible dub, but more than tolerable for me. Very Happy
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:46 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
The fact that a major R1 distributor actually thought that outsourcing a dub to Odex of all people was a good decision still blows my mind.
Or that two major R1 distributors (Bandai and Geneon) did the same thing on multiple occasions, for that matter. Though I did find Karin to be mostly-listenable.

Some possibilities:

Happy Lesson:

Speaking of name mispronunciations, there's getting vowel sounds wrong, and then there's completely omitting the final "e" in "Chitose" to make the main character sound like he's named after a dangerously cheesy snack product. The liberal scripting was good, but the dub could've used better name pronunciations and overall acting experience.

Green Green:
Just a bad hentai-tier effort all around, where only Yuusuke and Midori's voices were anything approaching good.

Those Who Hunt Elves II:
It's not bad by any means, but part of me wishes it had gotten a more liberal "Fosterized" dub for consistency with the first season. (Though Steven Foster only directed eps 7-12, Tristan MacAvery's direction and scripting of eps 1-6 was philosophically similar to Foster's.)

Elfen Lied:
This dub was generally okay/competent, but seemed slightly "off-kilter" throughout. Hard to describe; maybe it was a cumulative discomfort with all the killing, incest, nudity, child abuse, etc. being combined with general cuteness and comedic hijinks.

Revolutionary Girl Utena:
While perhaps not completely terrible, it's not as good as the material deserves. I chalk the flaws up to the show being released earlier in the dubbing scene's development. Perhaps a crew of veteran VAs with more experience with "anime weirdness" would be more adept at handling Utena's oddities and curveballs with a "sure, let's go with it!" attitude.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4