• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Taku Kishimoto, Scriptwriter for Usagi Drop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
lelliel wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Zac mentioned this interview on his twitter a few days ago. I can sense his tears even now.

I'm still hopeful that things will somehow work out in the anime like I hope.

Out of curiosity, what did that Twitter post say?

"Editing an interview with the scriptwriter for the Usagi Drop anime. God, how I wish I hadn't read that spoiler."

http://twitter.com/#!/ANNZac/status/85163831034265600
innerchihiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Usagi Drop, based on the hit josei manga of the same name, follows 30-year old Daikichi Kawachi's perilous journey through the most dangerous game of all: parenthood.

*Snort*
Parenthood?! more like...

(Major creepy weird spoiler so seriously don't read if you don't want to)
spoiler[ PEDOPHILIA ]

I mean, seriously? How can these people compare Daikichi and Rin to themselves and their children??
I already got screwed over by this manga series, don't let others be screwed over by the anime...
Niyari

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
which tries to depict not “an adult-like kid”, but an actual “kid-like kid”.

thank you
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you hear just the basic story, that a 30 year old male happens to live with 6 year old girl, in the context of Japanese anime, you may assume that the show will target the male audience with some sexual connotations, but of course, this show doesn't.

Um, spoiler... spoiler[he develops and allows a sexual relationship with the girl he adopted/raised from a very young age], how does this not target the creepy male audience? And the connotations don't get more spoiler[sexual] than that.
lelliel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
lelliel wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Zac mentioned this interview on his twitter a few days ago. I can sense his tears even now.

"Editing an interview with the scriptwriter for the Usagi Drop anime. God, how I wish I hadn't read that spoiler."

Thank you.
----

The spoiler gets a little more creepy once you realize: spoiler[Daikichi looks like a younger version of his grandfather who is Rin's biological father.] Honestly, how much creepy can you put in an ending anyway?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
lelliel wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
lelliel wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Thank you.
----

The spoiler gets a little more creepy once you realize: spoiler[Daikichi looks like a younger version of his grandfather who is Rin's biological father.] Honestly, how much creepy can you put in an ending anyway?

And that is why I called the ending "ultra creepy". I didn't say it for dramatic effect, I said it because that really is what the situation (of the ending) is.

Over the last seven years, I've read a ton of manga series. Some really great and not so much. I've also read manga series with a sudden twist or a unexpected element thrown in, but I've got to say, Usagi Drop takes the cake.

I've read the manga and before the time skip, there was nothing (not even a minor reference) that the manga would end like this. Nothing prepared me for the time skip change, it was that unexpected.

But what I don't get is spoiler[ why did the author choose this route? Daikichi could have easily ended up with Rin's childhood friend's mother or at the very least, another woman. And Rin could have easily ended up with the childhood friend or like Daikichi, anyone else. ]
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

But what I don't get is spoiler[ why did the author choose this route? Daikichi could have easily ended up with Rin's childhood friend's mother or at the very least, another woman. And Rin could have easily ended up with the childhood friend or like Daikichi, anyone else. ]

I don't quite understand that either. Getting over the fact that spoiler[Rin has barely experienced the outside world and what it has to offer, there are several viable routes she could have taken. No one mandated that she had to definitively end up with anyone in the first place. In my perfect world, Daikichi and Kouki's mother would have hooked up, Kouki and Rin would share a sibling-like relationship, and they would date people in their own age range or be satisfied not dating at all (for the time being).] Obviously, my perfect ending was a bit off from the actual ending. Though I honestly would have been fine without the time skip at all.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

I don't quite understand that either. Getting over the fact that spoiler[Rin has barely experienced the outside world and what it has to offer, there are several viable routes she could have taken. No one mandated that she had to definitively end up with anyone in the first place. In my perfect world, Daikichi and Kouki's mother would have hooked up, Kouki and Rin would share a sibling-like relationship, and they would date people in their own age range or be satisfied not dating at all (for the time being).] Obviously, my perfect ending was a bit off from the actual ending. Though I honestly would have been fine without the time skip at all.

Thank you, I asked a friend about this a while back and he (rightfully) wondered how it even got to that point, much less the ending.

spoiler[With the ending you had in mine, that is exactly what I would have wanted as well. I had a feeling that both Daikichi and Kouki mother liked each other and really did think towards the end they would get together. As for Kouki and Rin, you have a point and it would have just as work able to have them end with someone else entirely.]

Since I like time skips, the concept of one is fine, but had I known that the time skip would lead the series to become like it is, I'd be fine without one like RestlessOne.

But I keep thinking there is supposed to be some meaning and or logic with this ending, but I am truly not sure what (if one truly does exist) it is.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Thank you, I asked a friend about this a while back and he (rightfully) wondered how it even got to that point, much less the ending.

spoiler[With the ending you had in mine, that is exactly what I would have wanted as well. I had a feeling that both Daikichi and Kouki mother liked each other and really did think towards the end they would get together. As for Kouki and Rin, you have a point and it would have just as work able to have them end with someone else entirely.]

Since I like time skips, the concept of one is fine, but had I known that the time skip would lead the series to become like it is, I'd be fine without one like RestlessOne.

But I keep thinking there is supposed to be some meaning and or logic with this ending, but I am truly not sure what (if one truly does exist) it is.

I normally enjoy time skips as well. This one just wasn't handled properly. Daikichi's struggles with Rin took a backseat to love lives.

spoiler[I liked how Daikichi and Kouki's mother could identify with each other. It wasn't the same circumstances exactly, but they were single parents raising kids. Kouki and Rin had some cute interactions as children and, being that they grew up together, them feeling like siblings seemed totally feasible and normal.]

I don't think there is much logic, other than that there are people that like that sort of thing. Also, the author tends to write romance. And then there's that shift in focus. Before the time skip, anything dealing with romance was more subtle. The main plot and struggles involved raising Rin and the secrets and mystery behind Rin's mother.

spoiler[I think one of the true letdowns for me was that I had thought I had found a series that truly treated adoption seriously. So many times I run across series that treat the person differently because of that, as if adopted or step-siblings aren't 'really your relative'; you know "I can sleep with her because we're not really related", "I am inexplicably attracted to my brother who I have known since I was a baby and--OH HO HO, we're not related! Score!", and "I adopted you so we could sex it up!". And such. It is really quite strange, and makes me wonder if the authors share those viewpoints. And, really, if you were raised with someone, knowing they were your sibling/parent, you don't suddenly become attracted to them because you aren't blood-related.]
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
I don't know what to say...

I really loved the volumes I've read and had such high hopes for the anime. This interview just reaffirmed my feelings that this story is genuinely about a man who adopts a child and raises her as her father. It is so rare to see parenthood realistically depicted in anime and manga, let alone the struggles of a single father...

I can't even say that I wish I hadn't read the spoilers, because my blissful ignorance would have been shattered as soon as Yen put out the latter manga volumes. Crying or Very sad

Now I just hope that the anime changes the ending. And if they are looking for family stories for next year, noitaminA should consider "With The Light," a wonderful josei manga about the trials and tribulations of raising a child with Autism. (I know it's had a drama adaptation, but not an anime).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote
lelliel wrote:

From the Interview wrote:
The original dialogue in the manga is written by a mother of two, so it's already realistic.

Shocked That makes the ending more interesting... and maybe more creepy...

The anime should definitely follow the real manga ending.
Then in a media promo, they should invite the mother of two on stage for her comments! Laughing
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:30 am Reply with quote
I really like Bunny Drop, but spoiler somewhat ruined it.

I hope that they just make Childhood arc as whole one season with some original episodes. The script writer is parent, so she should have some ideas on writing original story on raising kids.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:12 am Reply with quote
Odekerk wrote:
The manga finished in April. 9 volumes, 55 chapters.

Can't remember specifically where the story takes it's turn, but it's after the time skip towards the end.

From what I understand, every scanlations I'm aware of go as far as chapter 50 where it begins to hint that. And this isn't to say I don't buy manga. I just needed to know what the hell happened with this creepy ending everyone keeps talking about since Yen Press isn't even halfway finished releasing the volumes yet. But what I don't understand is if Yen Press doesn't release volume 4 of Bunny Drop until September and no scanlation is past chapter 50, then how on earth is everyone so thoroughly aware of the ending? Did everyone import the last volume or something?
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:23 am Reply with quote
Last volume tankobon of Usagi Drop comes out later today. The issue of Feel Young (Usagi Drop serialization) which the final chapter 55 was included in supposedly sold out quickly and scans never hit the web. Most people are probably basing it on a translated summary of the chapter posted on 2ch. Unless it was a 2ch troll or the author changes the ending in the tankobon, it will be confirmed or denied in the coming days when people begin to acquire their copies of volume 9.
TC-man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:49 am Reply with quote
The people who don't like the ending shouldn't read the manga or watch the anime at all. I understand that a lot of people feel uneasy about the ending (if the ending is really like that; I just heard it from the internet etc.), but it's not like we are talking about the male protagonist that's like Fritzlspoiler[ who kidnapped his own daughter and sexually/mentally/physically abused her for more than 20 years and was pregnant with his children and raising them as his sons & daughters.] We are talking here about mutual love between 2 people. And that's a big difference, although it's still quite different what people are used to in "normal family" when spoiler[two people are "blood related" getting together as a couple, incest has always been a taboo everywhere].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3