• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - First Impressions: Star Fox Zero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Japanese angst is mellow, brooding, and somber. Pretty boys in internal monologue, and the like.

American angst is loud, revenge filled, and angry. It's about destroying stuff. Kratos is a pretty awesome character to play, but I have no love for the former.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Japanese angst is mellow, brooding, and somber. Pretty boys in internal monologue, and the like.

American angst is loud, revenge filled, and angry. It's about destroying stuff. Kratos is a pretty awesome character to play, but I have no love for the former.

The emo era that was popular in the West shared a lot of traits of "mellow, brooding and somber" so I can't say that you can categorize a certain angst into nationalities. The flip side also happens with Japanese pop media as seen in Berserk, Scryed and Jojo. The one thing that Japan's rage angst has over Kratos though is that they know to not cross the point of being an utter joke of themselves or are self aware of their wangst.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:31 am Reply with quote
That's the thing--the emo period came and went because people made fun of emos to the point that they're no longer relevant in the mainstream. And westerners, particularly Americans DO make fun of those angsty Japanese types all the time. Just look at the divisive reactions to characters like Sasuke in Naruto or Hitsugaya in Bleach.
toddc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Waffitti wrote:
hey Todd, when it comes to mouse-over text on segments written by guest writers, do you handle those alongside the other ones or does the guest work on them as well? Has any guest actively asked to write them?

I write all the title tags, though one's ever asked to write 'em in my place.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:23 am Reply with quote
No mention this week of Sega's Gunstar Heroes? tsk tsk

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3