• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Princess Jellyfish [Omnibus] GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
he illegitimate son of a prominent politician, Kuranosuke maintains an emotional connection with the mother who dumped him on his father's doorstep by dressing in drag...

I recall a flashback scene from the anime (which perhaps simply hasn't occurred yet in the manga?) where a young Kuranosuke is spoken to by his weeping mother that strongly implied that she was being forced to relinquish him.

This complicates the situation even further since it means that if he could find her whereabouts she'd presumably welcome a reunion. Perhaps it also adds a further shade to Kuranosuke's appreciation of the "childlike" Amars since he cherishes his childhood where he got to be with his mother.
katscradle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
This series was very much a pleasant surprise to me because I usually run for the hills from anything that deals with geeks. So thanks to all the people who said it was worth it. It is really funny and sweet, even a bit of an indictment about society sometimes.I was vacillating about getting the English edition since I have so many volumes of manga already and will be moving again. But, I've ordered it anyway now as it isn't everyday a comic like it is available in English.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I haven't had the chance to pick this up yet, but I hope that maybe I can pick up a copy as a birthday gift sometime this month (well, in addition to two other manga I want and Black Butler III LE that I have on pre-order). I was definitely the "geek" growing up - and still am, honestly - so I'm able to relate to Tsukimi on so many levels.

I did check out this volume the last time I was at Barnes & Noble, however, and I thought the release was beautiful. ^^ Kodansha did a fantastic job with it! I just hope this title sells well enough for them to actually release it all (I remember reading they only licensed up to a certain volume because they weren't sure on how well it'd sell in English).
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Love this series, love that Kuranosuke, one of the best Wholesome Crossdresser trope examples out there.
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Ohhhhh..... That manga cover <3
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
This is quickly turning into one of my absolute favorite manga titles to read!
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:58 am Reply with quote
I loved the anime, but hated how short and abrupt it was (a travesty since it's so HQ too)!

I saw a copy while at work and snatched it up, but could only place it on hold (I'm so glad people are reading it though!). I'm going to buy a copy this weekend probably. ♥
I hope it does well over here, and I can't wait to see how deep and far the manga goes~.
Carlooo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:35 am Reply with quote
I loved the Princess Jellyfish anime. The exploration of how geeks behave and why is realistic, sometimes painfully so, while still having enough escapism and humor to not feel heavy.

Having also read Kakukaku Shikajika from the same author, I'm very interested in her author's notes. Higashimura Akiko really is quickly becoming one of my favourite mangaka.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
Loved this manga, but the art style has really changed for the worse in recent chapters. Not as bad as the end of the Fruits Basket manga, but still very noticeable.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many volumes of the manga were covered by the anime?
lys

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many volumes of the manga were covered by the anime?

Apparently the anime goes part-way through v5, (which will be in the third omnibus) but I haven't read the manga yet to compare or see how much content might've been left out of the anime.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Having previously read through volume 12 in French, they don't leave much out in the anime, but the story really progresses beyond it. More things are left out as we get closer to the anime's end, since they deal with what comes after.

As a note, the scene where Tsukimi sinks into the sidewalk when Inari and Shu walk past her without noticing her is anime-only, which I've always found a shame. That was one of the most honest scenes in the show, at least for me.
nykolaibasket
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I just bought this today, and started to read it. I then noticed that my copy is missing 20-30 pages, all of chapter four. Has anyone else had this happen?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:54 am Reply with quote
^No - that's awful! I'd take it/send it back to the bookstore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1