• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
I really liked the track that played during this week's opening recap sequence. Very heroic in an American superhero movie way. Anyone know what it's called?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Jeezaloo! All Might's face in this episode scared me! I mean, he was all kinds of pissed. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Not often he deviates from that s-eating grin very much.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

I got really confused during Todoroki's fight. At first it seemed like he was revealing to the audience that he was on the villains' side, but then not. After he freezes a bunch of people, he thinks, "Where is he? I went to the trouble of bringing this whole crowd too... Killing All Might." over a shot of the Big 3 baddies, but then starts musing how most of the villains are useless.

Was that a translation problem or a transcription problem? If he's the hero he seems to be, either the "I" needed to be "They" or there needed to be quotes around his thoughts if he was recalling what they said. If neither of those, then I still don't get it.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Was that a translation problem or a transcription problem? If he's the hero he seems to be, either the "I" needed to be "They" or there needed to be quotes around his thoughts if he was recalling what they said. If neither of those, then I still don't get it.

Todoroki is remembering what the lots-of-hands villain said and trying to make sense of it. In the Viz translation of the manga, Todoroki's line is:

"'We've brought along so many playmates.' They want to kill All Might... at first, it seemed like they were elite. They'd use their numbers to overwhelm him. But taking a closer look, the pawns are just here for us... nothing but a gang of low-level cannon fodder. As far as I can tell, there are only about four or five really dangerous individuals here."
nomyx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
good to see that they didn't censor the blood and arms crushing scenes, that episode was so dramatic and awesome. Can't wait for next ep.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
@ BSP: Thanks. There was absolutely nothing in the onscreen text (or even hearing the words in the original speaker's voice) to indicate that he was recalling others' dialogue, other than the odd content, since I didn't have last week's script memorized. Smile
Realquick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Besides that last fight the animation has been quite mediocre for the series. I wouldn't be so disappointed if it wasn't for the fact that the series was already really popular before the anime and this is BONES who is known for quality animation like recently BBB and Death Parade.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
The fight scene this week definitely my favourite one of the series and I loved the animation BONES used for it as well as All Might's dramatic entrance. Also I enjoyed seeing Bakugo and Todoroki's quirks in use as well and the way the characters act to the situation
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

I kept wanting Todoroki to freeze all three of them. Sure, Nomu can break out of it, but it took him awhile, and there's no evidence the others could. Seems like it would've helped. BUT! I realize had he done that, it would've sucked all the drama out of the big battle, so it's not a mark off the writing or anything. I really got no complaints about this episode.

Interesting reaction when Handy-man lost one of the hands covering his face. Still trying to figure out what the red connectors are for and why all the hands have plug ports. I'm sure we'll get an answer soon, but it's intriguing in the meantime. So no manga spoilers please.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I didn't like about this episode was that there were some noticeable animation hiccups. They weren't episode 3 of "Dragon Ball Super"-level, but they're there.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
^ Care to be more specific? I tend not to notice anything but the worst muck-ups, and after Sam's praise in the review I'm curious about what you saw that he didn't, or whether you just interpreted what you both saw differently. Seems like often one person's bug is another person's feature when it comes to animation.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
They were mostly off-model still shots. Again, they weren't distracting. I just notice things like that.
A Man named RJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
The only thing I didn't like about this episode was that there were some noticeable animation hiccups. They weren't episode 3 of "Dragon Ball Super"-level, but they're there.

episode 3 of DBS?

What was bad about episode 3?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Sorry. Meant to say episode 5.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
ep 13,

WOHOOO, 2nd season confirmed (very end of the episode).

Excellent adaptation of the anime and great show overall, definitely a top contender of anime of the season (hard to pick a best show as there are so many different genres being represented). Looking forward to more of this in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 81