• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bungo Stray Dogs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Gta0012 wrote:
I'm enjoying this series I just think it's trying to be really funny when its not. maybe the manga is like that as well I'm not sure. The art and the story are great I'm interested to see where it goes. I wish they would just slow down the forced humor and land fewer but stronger comedic moments.

While the manga does still have goofy jokes, the anime is definitely placing a lot more emphasis on humor, simply because that's what the director likes. (This is the same director who did Ouran.) And while I enjoy the humor very much in the moment (I know it has its detractors, but I like silly anime faces, what can I say?), I do think the added emphasis is sort of wrecking with the tone consistency.

So I'm not sure this was the best choice for adaptation style, but I'm having a lot of fun with it anyways, so I guess it's fine? Confused You can tell the adaptation crew is enjoying themselves here, which honestly does do a lot to make it work for me. And at the very least, the voice acting is fantastic, which helps sell the humorous bits.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
I sort of expected as much, but it feels like things have gotten a little too serious a little too quickly.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:00 am Reply with quote
Finally things are picking up, this looks like it will be a well made action show.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:34 am Reply with quote
Eps. 3 - well that escalated quickly.

So far it's about cool characters and cool superpowers. But the story could have been much smarter. Especially for one dealing with a detective agency, the mysteries in the three eps felt shallow and overly-used already.

I might miss something from eps 3, but I think there needs to be more explanation on spoiler[how would the blonde girl know that Atsushi will be the one appointed by Doppo for the job, so that they can trap him. Or maybe how, no matter who got the job, Atsushi would get caught in the end. Yeah there could be some possible explanations, it's just the way it's not properly explained makes it felt un-mystery-story-ish.]
And I giggled a bit when spoiler[a seemingly (or supposedly) intelligent character, Akutagawa, who was angry at the blonde girl for harming Atsushi's life, in the end decided to cut him in half and said that it's okay now for him to take his life whatsoever.]
Gta0012

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:

While the manga does still have goofy jokes, the anime is definitely placing a lot more emphasis on humor, simply because that's what the director likes. (This is the same director who did Ouran.) And while I enjoy the humor very much in the moment (I know it has its detractors, but I like silly anime faces, what can I say?), I do think the added emphasis is sort of wrecking with the tone consistency.

So I'm not sure this was the best choice for adaptation style, but I'm having a lot of fun with it anyways, so I guess it's fine? Confused You can tell the adaptation crew is enjoying themselves here, which honestly does do a lot to make it work for me. And at the very least, the voice acting is fantastic, which helps sell the humorous bits.

AH ok thanks for the insight! My GF and I enjoy it and that's what matters in a show really. You can pick it apart and say it sucks here and is great here etc. but in the end if you enjoy it thats what matters. As of now I enjoy it. I look forward to see where this goes.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
his talent shares its name with his best known work, later turned into a film by Akira Kurosawa. (Although the actual story is called “In a Grove,” most people tend to think of it by the movie title.)

Huh? I may be wrong since I've read these a decade ago... but aren't "Rashomon" and "In a Grove" two different short stories?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:32 am Reply with quote
Let me double check that. It could very well have been my brain trying to get a Sedar together for 25 people while writing this that smushed some facts together. Embarassed (Off the top of my now exhausted head, I think elements of both stories may have been used for the film; like I said, I'm double-checking!)

EDIT: The film "Rashomon" is based on two separate stories by Akutagawa: "Rashomon" and "In a Grove." Somehow my brain made them into one story known by two titles. Shocked Confused Sorry about that!
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Kinda felt like the entire episode was a lead-up to that hilarious sequence at the end.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow the background characters in this episode were really badly drawn, most were just ovals. It wouldn't be too bad if they were far back, but some were right behind the character.
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Kinda felt like the entire episode was a lead-up to that hilarious sequence at the end.

Yuuup.

The show's still in the "just how bloodthirsty is this going to get?" stage, and after the obligatory shockingly violent third episode tonal shift, the answer seems to be, "not very." So instead of being about how poor Nakajima brings death and misery everywhere he goes, it's about him finally finding a group of people crazy enough to keep up whatever BS seems to follow in his wake.
MakoMori

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
The above statement seems like an accurate summary of the show Very Happy

I think the reason for the show being on the slow side with the actual plot could be that, as Jacob wrote in the preview guide, it has already been greenlit for a second season. They are taking their time introducing the characters and the setting, with some action every now and then.

Me, I'm enjoying this show quite a bit. I too hope it'll start moving a little faster soon, but I like all the characters and I have less problems with the humour, mostly. The mafiosi being chucked out of the window was definitely hilarious!
+ 光

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sadly he does not take into account that the Port Mafia was out to get the Agency long before he and his bounty walked in the door

I don't blame him. Atsushi's mentality of 'everyone will be better off if I'm not around' is very prominent, and his key character development centres around this. At the end of this episode, Doppo Kunikida (in essence) tells Atsushi his place is with the detective agency, although he does it in a roundabout way. But it works, since Atsushi has an emotional moment where he smiles while crying. He's sort of realized he belongs, and his characterization will be built from there.

Quote:
rather than the latest incarnation of the oversexed nurse trope?

Wouldn't exactly phrase it like that, but OK.

Quote:
Next week's episode will feature an actual crime that needs detecting[..], so maybe we'll see a shift in, if not storytelling, actual plot

The next episode is just going to be a big characterization episode for Ranpo. The rest of the story will not be filled with murder cases being solved. Episode 4 has already set up the next big conflict.

Quote:
Now it's really more than time to get the actual story going. Please tell me there's going to be one.

The story is probably the conflict between the Detective agency and the Port Mafia; of the Port Mafia's continuous attempts to capture the man-tiger and destroy the detective agency, but never succeeding. The characters undergo growth during these battles, and the characterization in between is supposed to let the audience grow to care for them (I don't think the show is succeeding at that at this point)

Going to go off on a tangent here but:

Dazai's scene may seem useless, but it may have a point. His scene follows directly after the scene where Akutagawa tells the girl he'll give her a reason to live. Dazai's lines to the waitress; of dying with her being his reason to live (or something along those lines), is a humorous but grim take on the matter. Backtrack to Atsushi, and you'll also find that he's struggling to find a place to belong. These characters, who are based on authors who have committed suicide, are searching for ways to live, and continue living, and this is possible through Kafka Asagiri, who Rebecca says:

Quote:
wanted to give them a second chance.
secondkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't say I'm thrilled with how Akiko Yosano is drawn this week during her “healing” scene with Tanizaki, but I do understand where they're coming from: ...
...but wouldn't it have been nice to see her portrayed as a more positive picture of female sexual agency rather than the latest incarnation of the oversexed nurse trope?

Thanks, I appreciate the context and comment for this scene because honestly I'm already getting tired of most of the comedic moments (and we're only in the fourth episode) like Atsushi's overreactions and Dazai's suicide ideation, but Tanizaki being preyed on by women and passing it off as humorous is the hardest to stomach (because it's always funny if it's the men being harassed, amiright?).
Ozzy4k

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
You guys said the same thing last time I personally enjoyed this episode I am enjoying this adaptation a lot as it corresponds and expands on the manga it's covered everything so far I guess your always gonna get those who not pick everything
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 review wrote:
I can't say I'm thrilled with how Akiko Yosano is drawn this week during her “healing” scene with Tanizaki ... So to a degree, taking off her shirt to treat Tanizaki can be seen as stemming from that reputation, but wouldn't it have been nice to see her portrayed as a more positive picture of female sexual agency rather than the latest incarnation of the oversexed nurse trope?

I have to agree. The "sexy torture kink" is an anime original thing, and I can't say I like it. Up to this point, I felt I would be pretty much fine with any adjustments that the anime made to the manga's material - it does tend wander around quite a bit before its plot really gets going. But this is kinda...egh. I just don't really understand why they felt the need to sex up Yosano's character. (Especially since the marketing for the anime in magazines and such seems squarely aimed at fujoshi...What did they think they stood to gain here?) I just hope she's treated a little better when we get to her character-focus story...

(Though other than that bit I enjoyed the episode quite a bit. It looked really good.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12