• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bungo Stray Dogs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
+ 光

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
I don't know what you've been watching lately, but I kind of feel like every action series these days would have killed the siblings off there for shock value. I actually appreciated it not going there, but only until Yosano's ability was forgotten the following arc for the sake of doing something I thought they had moved past.

Either you have the awesome super healer, or you don't. If an Uzi clip to the back or evisceration by Rashomon are treatable wounds in this setting, don't suddenly pretend that a couple bullets to the chest are something dangerous. The villain this week even made a point about how the brain still functions for eight hours after the heart stops. As long as a show is consistent unto itself, I couldn't care less whether the death is "real" or not.

Okay, so there's a reason for Yosano not healing those other two.

So, episode 6 and 7 are based off the prequel novels (yeah, Atsushi was not suppose to be there). And because it's a prequel to the manga, dead characters A and B do not appear in the manga. I mean, they technically did die before Yosano was part of the Agency. Now the next question is: Why the hell did the writer/director decide to do it the way they did?

The answer is: Because there was no better place for it. From here on out in the manga it's a continuous narrative that keeps on building and building, and it can't really be interupted by something like ep 6 and 7. And the Kunikida-focused episodes were necessary, because spoiler[dead character A does make an appearance later again, but not in the way you think. That appearance will be so much more significant because of ep. 6 and 7.]

Now for the actual question: The plothole due to the fact that ep. 6 and 7 did occur in the anime when it did, so Yosano should have been able to save them. Well, except for the one vague reason I mentioned above, honestly, that's a patch you have to think of for yourself. I kind of went with "oh, well, Yosano's power is probably only effective on members of the detective agency (those admitted by the President), and enemies in combat (Kaiji)."

I still enjoy the heck out of the show, and I'd like to make it as fun as possible for others. I think the show will be most rewarding to those who wait it out and not judge it too critically.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
So the short answer is that it is an adaptation induced plothole, but it isn't just a cheap excuse to keep that thread from coming up again. I just have to wait.

I can live with that, actually. It's just a bit jarring as a series comp choice for someone unfamiliar with the source material.
+ 光

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I think it was jarring for those familiar with the novel as well. I only made the connection to the manga by accident, really.

Sorry for the confusion (I know I'm not responsible , but I still feel the need to apologize)

Thanks for understanding!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I get it, Atsushi had a tragic past. Please stop repeating that footage. He's become this series' Obito.
+ 光

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I get it, Atsushi had a tragic past. Please stop repeating that footage. He's become this series' Obito.

On the one hand, I do agree that the big part of the flashback, which we've seen a few times, is unnecessary. On the other hand, it's possible that if they only show the part of the flashback, like where the man says "you're life will have no meaning if you can't save a single soul" (or something like that), it could cause a kind of knee-jerk "where did that come from?" reaction. Now, the audience can certainly connect those dots themselves, yet they still use that teeth-grating 'build-up' every time?

I suspected in the 3rd and 4th episodes that they merely used the extended flashback as a kind of 'filler', BUT in episode 8 Atsushi needed the flashback more than the audience did, really. The last flashback was not complete filler, at least not the last 0.4 seconds of it, since it triggered Atsushi's resolve to try and save other people in order to gain some meaning to his life.

If it bothers you, the least you can do is just skip over it the next time it appears (and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that... ... ...)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
What I'm objecting to is that it's always the same images and dialog every time. If they'd show a little variation and creativity in bringing it up, I'd be fine with it.

The last time I complained, he was walking down a street alone, and it would have had much more impact if it had only been the voices in his head, while we see his pov of the street, distorted as he reels his way along, or those teachers looming in the shadows as he goes, or something like that. Anything to change it up a little. It just pulls me out of the story when they keep repeating it exactly, since I'm rolling my eyes and headdesking so hard.
+ 光

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:05 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What I'm objecting to is that it's always the same images and dialog every time. If they'd show a little variation and creativity in bringing it up, I'd be fine with it.

I agree, definitely.

Quote:
The last time I complained, he was walking down a street alone, and it would have had much more impact if it had only been the voices in his head, while we see his pov of the street, distorted as he reels his way along, or those teachers looming in the shadows as he goes, or something like that.

Yeah, as I was typing about Atsushi on the train in my earlier post, I was also thinking "you know, I'm saying this now, but a voice-over would've done the job just fine." Perhaps the makers are afraid to exercise their creative muscle, or they're just lazy.

Quote:
they keep repeating it exactly, since I'm rolling my eyes and headdesking so hard.

Haha luckily I don't head-desk, I just heave a 10-ton sigh.

If only I could charge into that studio and take whoever's in charge by the collar and shake them around a bit until they agree to be more original. Unfortunately, the most I can do now is menace them on twitter (not that I've tried it. But soon...very soon...)
TheConqueror

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Could someone explain why Kunikida was cold toward atsushi? I still did not get it even after the reading the review.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
TheConqueror wrote:
Could someone explain why Kunikida was cold toward atsushi? I still did not get it even after the reading the review.

Because Atsushi is still a fugitive and if his involvement with the Agency got out it'll be bad for business.

For a pretty boy dominated series I'm actually enjoying it far more than I'd expect. Atsushi is the kind of character I can really get behind and the introduction of Kyouka has sweetened the deal. I'm so hyped for next week's showdown!
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:49 am Reply with quote
At this point, is it safe to regard Atsushi as the main character? I know he's always served as the audience's POV, but early on, I got the impression that Dazai would be the central focus.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
So now i'm waiting with bated breath to find out whether Dazai was also a poor little orphan that got taken in by the Port Mafia or if he voluntarily (*gasp*) joined The Evil Organisation...
+ 光

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
At this point, is it safe to regard Atsushi as the main character? I know he's always served as the audience's POV, but early on, I got the impression that Dazai would be the central focus.

Yes, he is. Dazai is VERY important though, and so is Akutagawa. Heck even Kyouka is.

I just have to say I love the chemistry between Dazai and Chuuya already. I hope the show digs more into their backstory later on.

I also love the little set-ups the show is making along the way. As someone who is familiar with the manga, I know that little things the characters say and do will be brought up later (in the flashback the show oh-so-loves to use).

On the topic of flashbacks this episode: It put us inside Atsushi's mind so we know what he's thinking about, but I still see it as a sort of filler. Which is fine. I actually noticed something about that as well <- It's only Atsushi that gets flashbacks. Not Dazai, Kyoka, Akutagawa or the rest get any flashbacks. This is probably obvious since:
1) he is the POV character, so the creators might think "better put this in here just in case the audience have the memory span of Dori!" -or-
2) Atsushi is, out off all the characters, the one who lives most in the past.

That's it. *bows out*
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:57 am Reply with quote
Man, not a single mention of Rampo? He stole the show.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:25 am Reply with quote
Hey, I can't give away ALL the best parts in the review - gotta leave something for people to find on their own! Very Happy
DJShay13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:

Yes, he is. Dazai is VERY important though, and so is Akutagawa. Heck even Kyouka is.

I just have to say I love the chemistry between Dazai and Chuuya already. I hope the show digs more into their backstory later on.

I really dig the chemistry between all 3 of the main characters, Kunikida, Atsushi, and Dazai. With Dazai as the comedian and Atsushi and Kunikida as the straight men, to me it's the funniest anime of the season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12