• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Twin Star Exorcists

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
HIGANO wrote:
SkerllyF wrote:
AmineIdriisi wrote:
Hijirimaru is character in the manga...... i think you mean Chijiwa...
People really hate the anime...even fan of the manga like me still enjoy this..
´

I´ve seen some ep. reviews. Is this series showing us more of the guardians? That´s a good idea, as we know little from them in the manga up to this point. And even them, "people only care about the source material. Itz da best". I wonder how they will qualify this adaptation. At least it´s not Tokyo Ghoul.

And also, you mean that the name of the 11 basaras are like rank titles? But I think they dont have the same appearance as these(not that I´m being a purist)

They have no plan to adapt anything from the manga. form ep 19 to the end of the show will be orginal anime stuff....
and there no connection between anime and manga...the anime is more like another dimension from the manga...

First, knowing that the manga is a monthly one, I don´t think they are going to do that. Let´s see in the next chapters. And, actually, the next arc in the manga would be basically like 10 or eleven episodes, so I see why they are running original stuff now.

Second, for you and the others, we clearly have forgotten what adaptation means. It doesn´t mean "make a copy of the story from this medium to the other". It means that if changes and new content are needed, they are going to be put. America has a long history of not following faithfully the source material in their adaptations. So Japan doing it shouldn´t be as bad as if you are being burned alive, God. Let´s mature and be open minded already.

Third, the original stuff it´s not at all that bad. The Dragon Spot case happened in the manga too,in chapter 29 I think, only with minimal explanation of why(but not exactly in the same way, but it makes sense in the universe of this series, and if it´s mentioned or used in the source material, it can work). And the guardians have more screentime and introduction than in the manga. Instead of waiting forever, I´d prefer to see them here first. And at least it´s not Tokyo Ghoul, where the original stuff was in its mayority non sensical in its universe
HIGANO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
HIGANO wrote:
SkerllyF wrote:
AmineIdriisi wrote:
´

I´ve seen some ep. reviews. Is this series showing us more of the guardians? That´s a good idea, as we know little from them in the manga up to this point. And even them, "people only care about the source material. Itz da best". I wonder how they will qualify this adaptation. At least it´s not Tokyo Ghoul.

And also, you mean that the name of the 11 basaras are like rank titles? But I think they dont have the same appearance as these(not that I´m being a purist)

They have no plan to adapt anything from the manga. form ep 19 to the end of the show will be orginal anime stuff....
and there no connection between anime and manga...the anime is more like another dimension from the manga...

First, knowing that the manga is a monthly one, I don´t think they are going to do that. Let´s see in the next chapters. And, actually, the next arc in the manga would be basically like 10 or eleven episodes, so I see why they are running original stuff now.

Second, for you and the others, we clearly have forgotten what adaptation means. It doesn´t mean "make a copy of the story from this medium to the other". It means that if changes and new content are needed, they are going to be put. America has a long history of not following faithfully the source material in their adaptations. So Japan doing it shouldn´t be as bad as if you are being burned alive, God. Let´s mature and be open minded already.

Third, the original stuff it´s not at all that bad. The Dragon Spot case happened in the manga too,in chapter 29 I think, only with minimal explanation of why(but not exactly in the same way, but it makes sense in the universe of this series, and if it´s mentioned or used in the source material, it can work). And the guardians have more screentime and introduction than in the manga. Instead of waiting forever, I´d prefer to see them here first. And at least it´s not Tokyo Ghoul, where the original stuff was in its mayority non sensical in its universe

I firstly.....i have nothing against the anime even it's original stuff i still think it's enjoyable..
After they remove ''island" from storyline in the anime ....the chance of the second and third arcs in manga get animated pretty damn low. considering how important of the "island" in main story and plot ....
and we still have one more cour .....
But.. I still hope to see those arcs animated.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
HIGANO wrote:

Is this your own speculation or confirmed from a news announcement, press briefing, or something similar.
HIGANO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
HIGANO wrote:

Is this your own speculation or confirmed from a news announcement, press briefing, or something similar.

Nah...... it's just my speculation....
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Damn that Kuranashi, ruined a possible 2nd great confession moment.

I completely forgot about Yuto, probably because I thought he was dead.

Ah that last part on the preview, finally get to see what Kuranashi looks like?
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Ok I watched from ep. 22 to 37, and I understood what´s the problem with Pierrot´s fillers. I´m not against unfaithful adaptations of source materials, as long as they´re good. I still don´t understand why it´s SO IMPORTANT for people that any anime has to be faithful to its source material, you might as well not read the source and only watch the anime(everyone does the same with any JoJo series), but at the same time I can unsertand why people hate fillers.

That the manga is better is no discussion. But even then the manga subverts less the shonen tropes as much as it relies a lot on them(remember, the MCs recieve a lot of asspulls for their battles, oh, and Benio is supposed to be strong but most of the time she is defeated, and now is useless at all). As its own product. this anime is not Tokyo Ghoul, it´s just mediocre(not bad,not great). You still can watch the good stuff in the fillers that I point out here, but then again Pierrot has done better filler episodes than this, they need a quality control in the writing front.

The case with Pierrot is that they don´t know how to write good material. Of course, sometimes they do(The Power arc of Naruto anyone?), but for the mayor part, they mess up with the canon material they´re given, when filler episodes shouldn´t in the first place. A good test for them would be making an original series, but even them you´re not sure if it´s going to be good.

Back onto this series, the first filler episodes were definetely the worst. Selling more a rom-com with ocasional action sequences rather than the mash of genres that the manga is(A mash of romance, comedy, tragedy and action of course). These ones we got right know are better, but not by much. I´m gonna sum it up like this:

The Good:
-At least there´s character development, even if it´s not much.
-The rest of the Heavnly Guardians were introduced. Zeze and Sakura got the most development, but for me the highlight was Tenma. He is OP as heck even in manga form.
-This latest chapter didn´t forget the romance side of the story.
-Even as not great of a role, Sae tied in with the part that our protagonists had to learn how to breed a child
-These arcs still stick with the core mythology of the franchise
-Some manga parts are reworked for these arcs, and they fit. Yes you read that right, they fit in the franchise

The Bad:
-Pierrot doesn´t use the material for what should be epic moments. Instead you´re left with a sense of average action
-The core plot is obviously poorly planned. By now it feels like a Power Rangers overarching plot.
-The villains in the manga that are not Kegare, apart from Yuto, are one dimensional. Hijirimaru and the other guy have little to no development, and the Basaras´ plan by now is the typical "destroying the world" plot, by absorbing exorcist powers. But they were more menacing and terrifying than the original villains right now. Probably because the writers stuck with the one dimensional villain shtick, but they´re so typical.
-The emotional moments are overwritten. There´s little to no build up and the payoff is... souless to say the least.

Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel wrote:
I completely forgot about Yuto, probably because I thought he was dead.

Actually Yuto is not dead. Episode 20 only showed him falling to a big hole. His powers are pretty high for him to die early, and there´s still mystery about him.

Quote:
It's too early to say whether Yuto's appearance will prove to be an interesting return of the series' best villain, or if it will just come off as a sloppy melding of the manga material with the anime-only stuff.

Some of the filler moments seem to be consulted to Sukeno, the author of the manga, before writing. So if they brought him back it must be that. Sounds like an good idea, but it´s better not to expect much with this writing move

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:25 pm Reply with quote
So, I stopped watching this series after their first major battle with Yuto when it started the filler arcs, are those still ongoing or has it gone back to canon material at all? If it has please let me know which episodes are non-filler, thanks
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:27 pm Reply with quote
^Nope still filler or non-canon if one prefers. I don't know if or when it will return to the source material
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
So, I stopped watching this series after their first major battle with Yuto when it started the filler arcs, are those still ongoing or has it gone back to canon material at all? If it has please let me know which episodes are non-filler, thanks

Everything after that major battle has essentially been anime only. It's incorporated stuff from manga, but it has been worked into original plotlines that heavily revolve around original characters.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:19 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:

As I said, You still can watch the good stuff in the fillers that I point out here, but then again Pierrot has done better filler episodes than this, they need a quality control in the writing front. That is if you want

The Good:
-At least there´s character development, even if it´s not much.
-The rest of the Heavnly Guardians were introduced. Zeze and Sakura got the most development, but for me the highlight was Tenma. He is OP as heck even in manga form.
-This latest chapter didn´t forget the romance side of the story.
-Even as not great of a role, Sae tied in with the part that our protagonists had to learn how to breed a child
-These arcs still stick with the core mythology of the franchise
-Some manga parts are reworked for these arcs, and they fit. Yes you read that right, they fit in the franchise
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
^Since you've said it twice now breed is probably not the best word choice. Raise a child would be better. Breeding a child, aside from being awkward, means something different than what you mean
diamoundheadx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
HIGANO wrote:
SkerllyF wrote:
AmineIdriisi wrote:
´

[img]http://www.xn--p8ja1d9cb8mc.jp/wp- content/uploads/2016/09/%E7%A5%9E%E5%A8%81%E3%82%B3%E3%83%A9%E3%83%A0-%E2%91%AA%E5%8E%9F%E4%BD%9C%E3%83%9A%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8.jpg[/img]

that's not true the tokyo ghoul anime was really really great
diamoundheadx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
HIGANO wrote:
SkerllyF wrote:
AmineIdriisi wrote:
´

[img]http://www.xn--p8ja1d9cb8mc.jp/wp- content/uploads/2016/09/%E7%A5%9E%E5%A8%81%E3%82%B3%E3%83%A9%E3%83%A0-%E2%91%AA%E5%8E%9F%E4%BD%9C%E3%83%9A%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8.jpg[/img]

that's not true the tokyo ghoul anime was really really great
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:20 pm Reply with quote
^Hopefully they are speaking of √A and not the first season
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:28 am Reply with quote
This was really good to watch.

Seigen's past, him and Mayura fighting together to save Yukari, and the passing of the torch made me love this episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16