• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Twin Star Exorcists

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 15 shows once again that TSE has an...interesting way of handling its source material. Fushihara did appear in the manga, but only as a mention. Two characters speak about him over the phone and they show a photo of that last shot of his broken and corrupted body as exposition to explain about Kegare corruption and lead into the Yuuto plot. The anime is very hit and miss with its adaption choices, but this was one I'm totally fine with. It took a very insignificant scene and fleshed it out in such a way that it not only filled the time in an interesting manner, but also developed some of the side characters. I'm liking this series more and more.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, they're actually going to follow up a manga episode with another manga episode.

I'm pleasantly surprised. Also Mayura a cute, so good job anime for showing that.
Australian JRPG Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh damn, poor Seigen.
MoMo990066

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I stopped watching this after the first episode of the second half...
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure the question has been asked, but does this really need to be 50 episodes? We're not even halfway there, and it already feels like the show is heading into its organic conclusion.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
^

~~ Disclaimer: I haven't read the source material, nor any related content about this series ~~

Looking at the pattern most shōnen franchises follow -- become a big fish in an ever-shrinking-for-them pond, meet Primary Antagonist/Rival/MC's Motivation and Reason to Win Personified, defeated, spend rest of series getting strong enough to win in the re-match -- I theorize that the pair will put up a nice fight, but will be beaten (maybe that kegare Basara will show up, just to drive home their utter defeat), and the rest of the episodes will be about tournament-like battles, where the pair fights lower-tier enemies upwards.

The show isn't boring, for it has its moments of humor, characterization, action, and suspense/thrill, but it also haven't strayed much from the above formula, going by the general guidelines that many other shows before it have followed.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I'm sure the question has been asked, but does this really need to be 50 episodes? We're not even halfway there, and it already feels like the show is heading into its organic conclusion.

Does it need to be? No. Will it be, without requiring a metric ton of filler? Yes. Will it have the folder anyways?

Yes.

That said, I liked the execution of the night before the battle. I'm cautiously excited for what comes next.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:42 am Reply with quote
It seemed like the camera avoided showing Benio's legs. Were they suppose to have been blown off?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:32 am Reply with quote
Something that I noticed about the episode, up until now all the attack/spell names were in Japanese, but now their "Resonance" versions were in English.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
It seemed like the camera avoided showing Benio's legs. Were they suppose to have been blown off?

Yeah. I was curious about that myself (haven't read the manga), and they were.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
A+, seriously? That was a bit of a too convenient power-up for my taste: so that bored Basara just happens to come along at the right time and considers Benio to be "worthy"? Yes, i do realize this is shounen where new powers tend to appear out of thin air, but this was stretching it a bit too much for me.

Also, all that screaming quite literally gave me a headache...perhaps i'm getting too old for this stuff...

Last edited by Merida on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah, A+ is a little much, especially given the imperfections he mentioned in the reviews, but not by much personally.

I think Benio's power up was good for the show. Benio was always competent enough, and recently they are at their greatest power when they work together with Resonance, but individually, Benio was always the weaker one of the two as Rokuro had his kegare arm. Now that she has the same power as him, it evens the playing field for them. She doesn't have to play the "badass girl who still isn't as strong as the male MC" but rather is now an equal partner.

And after seeing the images from the manga someone linked earlier, I think they made the right choice. Damn. Definitely not for kids.
B-K201

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
I am sorry but this show is horrible I cannot believe that I am still keeping up with this series, I've never thought of dropping a show this late in the game.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I really wish this show had a better budget; every still and cut-in of Benio and Rokuro's faces with the Kill la Kill-styled kanji made me wish I was actually seeing the super-fancy attack land in full animated glory.

At least Yuuto and Benio were great with their voices today.
AholePony

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
A+, seriously? That was a bit of a too convenient power-up for my taste: so that bored Basara just happens to come along at the right time and considers Benio to be "worthy"? Yes, i do realize this is shounen where new powers tend to appear out of thin air, but this was stretching it a bit too much for me.

Also, all that screaming quite literally gave me a headache...perhaps i'm getting too old for this stuff...

I hear ya on some of those issues. The main issue I have is one that's seemingly become more common in all anime with bad guys not just pure shounen, way over powered enemies right from the start. In this episode we had mushroom cloud creating attacks and atmosphere splitting punches and the bad guy does the equivalent (sometimes literally) stopping it all with one finger. Where do you go from there?

It could just be me but its always worked better when the protagonist gets at least a few legit hits in or you let the bad guy power up over time like so many dragon ball bad guys. But this practice of having a nigh unstoppable bad guy right from the start BEGS for deus ex power ups and huge gains in skill in mere days.
Skerlly Fc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
--A+, seriously? That was a bit of a too convenient power-up for my taste: so that bored Basara just happens to come along at the right time and considers Benio to be "worthy"? Yes, i do realize this is shounen where new powers tend to appear out of thin air, but this was stretching it a bit too much for me.

Also, all that screaming quite literally gave me a headache...perhaps i'm getting too old for this stuff...--

Merida, you may think this trope is overused in shounen, but it all comes down to the execution. I mean, Boku no Hero uses this right from the start, yet to this day in the manga, Izuku hasn´t had his powers fully controlled, he hasn´t won battles yet(except I believe Stain), but he has grown from generic crybaby to something more.

This argument is too old and it says that the shounen genre is dead when it´s not
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 16