• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Twin Star Exorcists

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
The exorcist higher-ups seem to be oddly relaxed about that whole "making the super baby" thing.

I just figured "its a prophecy". ie. They WILL make the super baby, WHEN they do it doesn't really matter, nor does the growing strength of the Kegare because everyone KNOWS that the prophecy WILL happen. (now, if the show wants/wanted to go "dark", it can always point out that even if the prophecy says the two leads WILL make the super baby, there's nothing (I assume) saying everyone ELSE will be fine. People tend to make a bunch of assumptions based on what they know without giving much consideration to what they DON'T know)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
Ok, I know they took the time to tell us that Ryogo knew he was running short on talismans, but what kind of onmyouji opens and enters the spirit realm with no doorway back? Frankly, keeping well-stocked in the tools of your trade seems the least any onmyouji would do. Not, "Oops, running low, oh well, guess I'll go out on a mission anyway, not like I would ever possibly need them..."

So what was the candy Rokuro was eating? Where's Hotaru when I need her?

Edit: fixed name spelling - I keep getting him mixed up with Rokudo from Rin-ne. Very Happy

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
Rokura is turning into Saitama 2.0
MoMo990066

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:18 am Reply with quote
I really like the manga and was excited to see the anime but I'm a little disappointed now. The animation is not the best and these episodes have been very boring for me. I don't have a problem with them not going by the manga but they could have made it more interesting I just don't see them giving the manga any justice with this anime. But I can't say I completely hate this anime. I just want to see how it goes after this week's episode and hope they improve. I highly recommend people who are watching the anime but did not read the manga to read it because it is a lot better than what the anime is showing you.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
What a messy-looking, choppily-animated episode. I actually laughed at the shot of the frightened children fleeing the Kegare.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode #5:

That episode was a bit odd, production-wise; towards the end of the battle with the Kegare, the characters models started to look disproportional, with the head slightly bigger (or their bodies became smaller?), and their positioning compared to the camera. In some frames the characters even looked almost chibi-fied.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
The 50 episode rumor seems much more true now.

Anyways this episode was completely anime original and probably the weakest out of them all. They probably wanted to give Rokuro a good motivation to become an exorcist again by introducing Shimon sooner however it still looked weak overall. I hope they're just saving the budget for the canon episodes because it'll get really heavy in action later on.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I dropped the show after this episode. It'd been on verge of the drop zone for a couple of episodes but this was the nail on the coffin. Everything looked absolutely terrible, and the biggest (and maybe only) charm the show ever had was how cool stuff looked.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
The animation (if you can call it that) in episode 5 was downright embarrassing. I felt like I was watching a Sentai show with all the quick cuts and recycled scenes.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:52 am Reply with quote
yea, I didn't even watch this ep all the way through, just skimmed through it to get the gist of what was going on. It really is a waste that they're throwing in filler into a series this good, the manga is great, I devoured all the existing chapters in a single sitting. Well, the point of most anime is to get you interested in the source material so at least in that respect this series succeeded.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
When Tsuchimikado recalled Ikaruga in the middle of the fight, I muttered, "No biggie, I was only sent all the way here to introduce myself anyway." Then it turned out that was exactly the only reason he was sent!

It's never a good sign when your MSTie riffs are the actual plot.
LightYapper

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:03 am Reply with quote
I find it hilarious when all of you are pretty much badmouthing TSE and the 50-episode plan absolutely sounds stupid. It might actually get worse than Dimension W, IMO. Twisted Evil
Zilan

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I dropped this show after watching 10 minutes of episode 5. Like It's just ugly looking. The first episode was so good. but looks like they blew their entire budget on that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Not much to see here, but I at least got a laugh out of this:

Quote:
It bugs me a lot to see these flashbacks overused so much, because it communicates a lack of confidence on the part of the creators. They either don't think the audience can keep up with the story without pausing every three minutes for a refresher, or they don't trust their own ability to communicate characters' thoughts and feelings without them.

To me it seems like what they're doing is trying to get your attention by dropping you into a scene with no setup, or at a point where you feel like some unanswered questions got skipped over (esp. near the end of an episode), so you'll prick up your ears and go, "Wait, what's going on here? What happened between this scene and the last scene??" and then they do a quick backspace fill-in flashback to tell you so you don't get irritated at not knowing for too long. I've seen a lot of series resorting to this lately, even doing back-to-back backspaces. It's a cheap device and unnecessarily confusing, and I agree, the less it's used, the better.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:38 am Reply with quote
I think we're done with anime original episodes. Next week's content will finally be from the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 16