• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Twin Star Exorcists

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amuris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote
wow, I wasn't sure before but now I'm positive. They are seriously trying to avoid as much of the plot as possible. Really, I don't even think the issue of how developed of a villain Yuto is is even that important...because the problem with Yuto was only suppose to be 30% of the main plot to begin with. Really, what happened to the other, more interesting villain they're suppose to be fighting around now? They haven't even introduced him or his group...and he's suppose to be before Yuto.

Also, why would you add filler if your already skipping on, not just 70% of the main plot but all of the side character's development?
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:17 am Reply with quote
I'm not a manga reader and was never quite as critical of this show as some others, but damn, this was painful to watch, completely pointless and not even remotely funny...and what's worse, it seems we'll be getting more of the same next week.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
And the quest of Making Two 14-years-old to Hump continues...

If the comedy had worked, I might've had a more positive opinion, but alas. I hope there'll be more action scenes or further character development; those elements are still quite enjoyable.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
At long last, we might get back to manga material next episode.

please don't screw this up please don't screw this up please don't screw this up
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
Yeah this episode was weak. Well at least next episode they'll finally get back to the main plot.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
"Ep 11 review wrote:
Twin Star continues its rom-com run this week, though it doesn't work quite as well as it has in the past.

We probably could have just ended the review right there but I guess they won't let you do that. Reasons.

The only thing this episode really did for me is to remind me of how tired I am of the usual rom-com tropes. What business is it of hers what he reads, and what gives her the right to get mad at him over it and tell him he can't? Just once I would like to see the guy get righteously mad instead of reflexively defensive.

It could have been much more interesting but they were more intent on trying to wring comedy out of having the supposed adult in the room totally mishandle this arranged marriage thing. If this were somehow a real life situation the whole thing could be solved by a single frank discussion but no way they are doing that.

It was such a mush that the high point of the episode was having Benio sew her skirt into the needlepoint and for once we see she isn't superior to Rokuro in absolutely everything.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
[quote="HaruhiToy"

It was such a mush that the high point of the episode was having Benio sew her skirt into the needlepoint and for once we see she isn't superior to Rokuro in absolutely everything.[/quote]

I actually have appreciated how the filler episodes have taken Benin down odd of her pedestal a bit. It makes her a bit more three dimensional, and likable, and evens out her relationship with Rokuro a lot.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
It's far from my biggest beef with the series, but good lord, have the visuals taken a nosedive over the last couple weeks. The characters seldom look the same from one shot to the next, the proportions are all over the place, and certain shots are almost surreally off-model. I didn't expect the show to maintain the first episode's top-shelf production values throughout its entire run, but I never thought things would go so south so quickly.

I actually caught myself laughing at some of the generic comedy this week, but I suspect I was channeling Crow T. Robot watching Hobgoblins. "Part of me is laughing. I think it's the part of me that hates life."
hurafloyd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
What a disappointment this anime has been... been reading the manga for some years now and when I read the news of an anime release I was quite happy.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
It's far from my biggest beef with the series, but good lord, have the visuals taken a nosedive over the last couple weeks. The characters seldom look the same from one shot to the next, the proportions are all over the place, and certain shots are almost surreally off-model. I didn't expect the show to maintain the first episode's top-shelf production values throughout its entire run, but I never thought things would go so south so quickly.

Pierrot's not known for high budgets; just look at the rough patches in Tokyo Ghoul, a significantly shorter action series.

With Baby Steps, that was a far less action-intensive series, so Pierrot could afford to save their meager budget for the few scenes that really needed it. But thanks to whatever idiot went for 52 episodes on an action series with no budget, they don't have that option, so everything looks terrible because they're overstretched.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:

Pierrot's not known for high budgets; just look at the rough patches in Tokyo Ghoul, a significantly shorter action series.

With Baby Steps, that was a far less action-intensive series, so Pierrot could afford to save their meager budget for the few scenes that really needed it. But thanks to whatever idiot went for 52 episodes on an action series with no budget, they don't have that option, so everything looks terrible because they're overstretched.

Not to mention the production for the series started very late. (4 months production for a 50 episode series wtf?)

Whoever is producing the series needs to get fired immediately.
Amuris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:51 am Reply with quote
eh? this is going ta be a 4-cour? Ah, that makes sense. I thought they were just trying to take out any plotlines that would take more than one season and come up with an orignal ending to isolate it from the original...I know, it sounds/is dumb. If only I never had to witness such a thing. Anyway, the stalling is ok then.

More importantly, best villain is finally here!
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
Ep 12 review wrote:
I still couldn't help but clap a little bit when he showed up to punch out Kamui before he could deal the killing blow to Benio.

Yeah that was pretty predictable but a hell of an epic punch. At first it looked like it wasn't going to have any effect but then there was this delayed-physics thing where Kamui goes flying a second or two after impact. It worked.

Mostly what it showed is how much more power Rokuro has than Benio. She has speed and skill but that didn't count for much this time.

More interesting to me about this episode is how much Rokuro has decided to invest in this domestic harmony agenda. He actually tries Benio's concoction and uses the word "considerate" (at least in the sub) that she made it. His normal mode is jagged-tooth shouting at something other. That's gotten tiresome for a while now. Seeing him focus on something relationship-oriented is something I hope we see more of.

My other takeaway from today is where has Kamui been all this time? It has been some years since he did in Benio's parents why haven't all these hyper-powered exorcists dealt with him yet?
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
My other takeaway from today is where has Kamui been all this time? It has been some years since he did in Benio's parents why haven't all these hyper-powered exorcists dealt with him yet?

His sudden appearance definitely raises a lot of logistical questions, to be sure. The infrastructure of the Exorcists is actually something I wish the show would spend more time exploring. I can never get a handle on just how many of them there are, how often they communicate, what the roles of different groups are, etc. It would not only help with the world-building, but it would help cement the stakes of the Kegare threat a whole bunch more, too.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone still laugh at "the female lead is a terrible cook" jokes? I mean, I'll take them over "the male and female leads fall on top of one another" jokes, but that isn't saying much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 16