• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High School Fleet

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:01 am Reply with quote
I was really surprised at this how, mostly the second half of the first episode.

Wasn't expecting fleet girls with naval warfare and serious stuff. I think this has a lot of potential and I'm quite interested to know more about the characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
As much as I want to watch this, I want to make sure there's no panty shots or non-consensual boob groping first, because those ALWAYS turn me off to a show no matter how interesting the rest of it is, and I don't want to end up getting tricked.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
As much as I want to watch this, I want to make sure there's no panty shots or non-consensual boob groping first, because those ALWAYS turn me off to a show no matter how interesting the rest of it is, and I don't want to end up getting tricked.

There's nothing quite there yet but I think it'll come pretty quickly. We already had a pointless shower scene and a character with wet transparent cloth (and just a hint of yuri, cause why not?). The girl also have a big bath in there war ship for some reason, so I wouldn't be surprise if at some point we'll have the classic "let me grope you to see if your boobs are bigger than mine". I'm guessing episode 7 will be a beach episode and all.

On the show itself, it's alright. I'm actively trying to block my brain from thinking too much about it and mostly enjoying the hi jinks happening. Nothing amazing but it's not bad either. I'm surprised there really going all out with the student actually be in danger when really the show would have worked just as well if they were in mock battle as part of there final exam. The reason girl are running the ship was pretty terrible (as a sign the ship won't be used for military purpose, as if girl couldn't attack people, why not just remove there weapons instead?) considering they could just have some ship being crewed by man and other by woman (the crew is going to spend month at sea with just themselves, make sense not to make them mix). And the reason given for japan being submerge was weird, I don't see how exploring the underwater methane make island sink? Kinda lame that there trying to avoid talking about climate warming. But anyway, those are mostly through I try to block and replace by "Awwwww the fat cat as a captain's hat".
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this show so far, hoping it manages to keep it up throughout it's run.

Personally I'd like the crew to act a little more serious since it seems we're going full force into this mutineer plot, but that's a personal preference and frankly it doesn't feel too jarring yet. It feels like the lower crew members genuinely don't grasp the full implications of their situation. There's danger yes, but they're just concerned with their jobs right now. That said I do like the calmer moments. It adds levity and build rapport between the crew. Honestly I'd rather not have to suffer through an "idiot crew members decide to turn on the captain" plot.

spoiler[The ending cliffhanger with the Musashi screams TRAP. The big imposing close up of the Musashi, clearly undamaged, really does not bold well for the Harekaze. Moka herself looked rather distressed when she made her call so who knows maybe she's decided to defect like our mysterious German friend. Honestly I'd prefer if the Musashi went along with the Harekaze the "friends fighting on opposite sides of a battle trope" is another one I don't want to suffer through.]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
And the reason given for japan being submerge was weird, I don't see how exploring the underwater methane make island sink? Kinda lame that there trying to avoid talking about climate warming.

Really? Wow, ok; Science time! Carbon dioxide or CO2 is the prime agent for global warming at its produced by humanity in gigantic quantities; it's your classic "greenhouse" gas but it's part of the natural process and even has its own natural cycle... which gets more overwhelmed year after year. More of it gets trapped in the atmosphere year after year.

Methane on the other hand... yeah, this is the one we don't talk about, for many reasons. There's no natural process for eliminating it, it's a natural byproduct of both living animals and those dead, rotting animals under in the sea or trapped in frozen tundra and its heat index as a gas compared to that of CO2 is several magnitudes greater. It's the greater threat but for now, its amounts compared to CO2 are minuscule.

However, most global warming projections are based on the rising levels of CO2 but once land long frozen unthaws and releases is methane banks, the situation's going to accelerate and things are going to get wet. But actively mining for it as a source of fuel? Really? One good "spill" and everything goes south, quickly.

The show's fine, a little derivative... but to me, it's less Girls Und Panzer and more The Irresponsible Captain Tylor oddly enough.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

Early on, but it feels like it is sticking to the level of Girls und Panzer, which might sound bad if you have not seen that show, but it is actually pretty respectable, there is no need to throw in panty shot or boob jokes. We have a couple bathing scenes, but I don't think they are too overplayed for fanservice, more getting across a time of relaxation for a group or making the situation bare as in showing the main character showing her actual thoughts.

The reviewer is saying Girls und Panzer and KanColle. Well rather than KanColle I am thinking of Arpeggio of Blue Steel if we are to do naval combat, and even then I think the tone is closer than ship waitfus. Wait, there are ship waifus in Arpeggio, but it is not quite the same thing. I am thinking more Stella c3-bu than Upotte.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Really? Wow, ok; Science time! Carbon dioxide or CO2 is the prime agent for global warming at its produced by humanity in gigantic quantities; it's your classic "greenhouse" gas but it's part of the natural process and even has its own natural cycle... which gets more overwhelmed year after year. More of it gets trapped in the atmosphere year after year.

Well here's the things, if japan is collecting methane... well there doing so to burn it, which will make it become CO2... So wether there getting there energy from methane or coal doesn't matters, it's all the same stuff once it's in the atmosphere. Hence why blaming japan collecting methane from the bottom floor makes little sense. Also methane is already leeching from the bottom of the ocean and the permafrost anyway, so harvesting it or not make little difference (fracking also unlocked a huge amount of methane and last I check there's a huge methane well that's broken and releasing it's content in California).

It's just weird that bring in the idea that it's specifically japan collecting the methane that caused the problem rather than saying "it's global warming".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
happy that the show actually has some serious elements and isn't just another moe blob. I am actually curious as to what is happening as there are quite a few questions without answers at the moment. The question is whether the show ends up taking a dark turn later on or if it stays relatively light, kind of hard to tell honestly.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

Agreed. I initially assumed this show would be rife with such elements, but based on the favorable reviews it's been getting, that may not be the case after all.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much my kind of stuff.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Early on, but it feels like it is sticking to the level of Girls und Panzer, which might sound bad if you have not seen that show, but it is actually pretty respectable, there is no need to throw in panty shot or boob jokes. We have a couple bathing scenes, but I don't think they are too overplayed for fanservice, more getting across a time of relaxation for a group or making the situation bare as in showing the main character showing her actual thoughts.

Girls und Panzer is a masterpiece of animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:13 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
[The reason girl are running the ship was pretty terrible (as a sign the ship won't be used for military purpose, as if girl couldn't attack people, why not just remove there weapons instead?)

Well, at least I can agree with one thing you said. Smile

It's the "girly-ness" of most of the girls that's the turn-off for me, as there's been very little fan service, and it's so low-key it doesn't even qualify in my book - nudity =/= service to me. It all depends on what the point of the scene is, if there is one, or how leering the camera angles are, which in this so far, they haven't been. Anyway, given how inherently dangerous crewing a battleship is and the way the majority of these girls are acting, someone would definitely end up dead or maimed. There are only a couple of them I'd let run a backhoe, let alone a ship.

So at the start of each episode, I slog through, the first to see what the series had to offer, the second to see if there were any answers to the first episode. Both times, by 15 min in, I was ready to throw in the towel. But I will give this series one big kudo: they sure do know how to do a cliffhanger!

I'll be back next week.
r0verandom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:32 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

This is not another pointless harem LN adaptation, it's moe + war, only fanservice we will get is cuteness overload and military things.
There is not a single fanservicey (sexual kind) shot, yet. And I think it will stay like that. They even had the opportunity with bath scene or wet clothes, but didn't go for it.

I hope this will be as interesting and enjoyable and well made as Girls und Panzer was.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
There are only a couple of them I'd let run a backhoe, let alone a ship.

Heh. I entirely share this sentiment, though. While I've liked what the series has done overall, I don't think it's integrating the cutesiness in well with the more dramatic content. In fact, for me the two are working at cross purposes right now.

I think this would be a great series if they toned down the cutesiness a couple of notches and made it more of a complementary element than focal point. (As an example of a series which does this pretty well, check out Bodacious Space Pirates.) I know that's not going to happen because of the audiences that this series is aimed at, so I will probably just put up with it.

OTOH, I am already a fan of both the Captain and Vice-Captain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Edl01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I think this would be a great series if they toned down the cutesiness a couple of notches and made it more of a complementary element than focal point.

Funnily enough my hope is basically the complete opposite. I really liked Girls und Panzer and on of that shows best features is it's tone. It's a ridiculous concept but it's just goofy and happy enough that I rarely found myself cynical enough to question it.

If this show decides to go Dark and Grim I honestly feel the writers will be straying out of their comfort zone, which while could potentially be great I feel it would more likely be a disaster.

As for the guy at the top who asked about fan service I'm gonna mention that there is tons, similarly to Girls und Panzer. Not of the girls, no, actually most of the scenes with them are either very tame or rather tasteful in their portrayal of fanservice. The fanservice here is all in them boats, the creators here have shown this habit before if you look at the tanks in Girls und Panzer and I can say for sure I feel basically anyone even remotely interested in Battleships/Military hardware should give this show a look just to see some of them boats.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
ep 3,

This series keeps making more questions and almost no answers. So basically it looks like a bunch of ships are suddenly mutinying (the display at the beginning of ep 3 shows several sunk ships). However is it a conspiracy, or some kind of mind control or something, the german girl mentions all their electronics went crazy and then everyone started disobeying orders. I have a feeling their friend on the battleship also experienced a mutiny probably. This better not end up like puella madoka again
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5