• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High School Fleet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
ep 5,

Captain girl has been mildly annoying throughout the series with her spacing out and doing things on a whim, but now she really needs to be removed from command. She spaces out AGAIN in the middle of combat and then runs off by herself, abandoning her ship to do...something. considering that the battleship just sunk an entire fleet of smaller ships I don't know what she was trying to do, other than use the powers of friendship to save the day. I'm not sure if we're supposed to be sympathizing with her but if that is the case then the series is doing a miserable job of convincing me to do that. Probably has to do with the fact that I'm in the military so I have a biased view on this type of thing.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Damnit I was wrong! I though the beach episode (whose only real purpose is showing all the character in swimsuit) would be 7 but it was actually 5!

Anyway, it's kinda hard to take the fight seriously (did they really shoot out an incoming shell with there own shell at the end???) because of the show huge hard-on for WW2 era ship. The much more advance ship just get wasted, despite having the advantage in almost everything (there only disadvantage would be main artillery, but those are relic nowadays, torpedo have longer range and better accuracy and damage). Of course to make that work they have all the advanced ship go in knife range... because...hum, they were trying to board the Musashi or something? Yeah its hard to take them seriously.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Damnit I was wrong! I though the beach episode (whose only real purpose is showing all the character in swimsuit) would be 7 but it was actually 5!

Anyway, it's kinda hard to take the fight seriously (did they really shoot out an incoming shell with there own shell at the end???) because of the show huge hard-on for WW2 era ship. The much more advance ship just get wasted, despite having the advantage in almost everything (there only disadvantage would be main artillery, but those are relic nowadays, torpedo have longer range and better accuracy and damage). Of course to make that work they have all the advanced ship go in knife range... because...hum, they were trying to board the Musashi or something? Yeah its hard to take them seriously.

... because they were trying to figure out what was going on the Mushashi and you can't do that at range? Hey, I saw Zipang and even those guys wouldn't get close to Yamato class battleships. To the show's credit, I did a sense a "Oh yeah, battleship. Why did we arm them again?" response from that ship sent in to investigate.

Why are they armed again? I think they're supposed to be fighting pirates... I think... but once you introduce subs manned by boys, the fleet of battleships crewed by girls seem showy somehow.

Oh right, forgot where I was for a second. I can take Girls Und Panzer seriously... actually no because how many times could I attribute the thought "Normally, I'd be dead right now..." to characters? Too many to count... I could take the combat seriously because it was presented as a sport but here, I don't take anything seriously. All we know about their regular missions is that they go to where they're instructed but we still don't know what they would do under normal circumstances when they get there. Under these abnormal circumstances when the ships are infested with psychic rodents from nowhere... as a viewer, I can only think "Yeah, stuff's gonna happen and it's not gonna matter to me, is it?"

I don't think it's boring but Girls Und Panzer had understandable stakes introduced early and they only raised them with each episode; "Underdogs!" "Got to win each battle!" "Enemies get stronger every time!" "If you lose, school's out forever!" crowned by "Oh @#*#, the Maus." Here, there's no tension only bemused interest because I don't know or understand the consequences of their actions.

And there doesn't seem to be any. Somehow. It's live ammunition, there's got to be something. Right?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm fairly ignorant of military ordnance, so could someone explain to me the advantage/necessity of those torpedoes they launched? Why not fire them underwater like a sub? Or drop them from above-water ports (I think I've seen that in old movies)? Why launch them into the air in a look-at-us-we're-shooting-at-you fireworks display so high that you need to deploy parachutes to keep them from self-destructing on impact, then what, secondary rockets underwater? That seems like an awful lot to go wrong that could turn a torpedo into a dud. I could see it if you were shooting at something several miles away, when speed is important and stealth isn't an issue, but surely something different would be better for close-range encounters?

I'm also completely in the dark as to who has what kind of ordnance (training vs live), and how much, and why, and how much damage the training weapons can inflict. Sometimes it seems like they have lots, sometimes the training ammo seems lethal, while other times it seems like paintball. In this episode in particular, why do the teachers seem to be equipped only with training ammo, while the students' battleship is fully armed with live ammo?

Quote:
...both the crew of the Harekaze and the instructor who shot at them in the first episode seem to have been cleared of any wrongdoing.

No, apparently Akeno and Tama are going to get a stern talking to when they get back to base.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:13 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm fairly ignorant of military ordnance, so could someone explain to me the advantage/necessity of those torpedoes they launched? Why not fire them underwater like a sub? Or drop them from above-water ports (I think I've seen that in old movies)? Why launch them into the air in a look-at-us-we're-shooting-at-you fireworks display so high that you need to deploy parachutes to keep them from self-destructing on impact, then what, secondary rockets underwater? That seems like an awful lot to go wrong that could turn a torpedo into a dud. I could see it if you were shooting at something several miles away, when speed is important and stealth isn't an issue, but surely something different would be better for close-range encounters?

I'm also completely in the dark as to who has what kind of ordnance (training vs live), and how much, and why, and how much damage the training weapons can inflict. Sometimes it seems like they have lots, sometimes the training ammo seems lethal, while other times it seems like paintball. In this episode in particular, why do the teachers seem to be equipped only with training ammo, while the students' battleship is fully armed with live ammo?...
I think it safe to say that what is shown in Ep5 is more a concept than an actual weapon in current use, like that blimp and high-speed watercraft. Actually, water-skimming cruise missiles are currently used rather than these sort of torpedoes because of speed (up to 2100 mph!), 100-300nmi range, sonar-quiet and too low to show on radar until ~16mi/28sec away. However, if you wanted a medium range anti-ship torpedo this is the way you'd do it. Deck guns are for short to medium range (0-10nmi) and the energy used every second traveling through air at a given speed is worth something like 1000 seconds traveling in the water (close to the total running time of a torpedo), which is why you wouldn't just drop 'em into the water and let go. Also, high speed torpedoes of modern design are essentially underwater rockets (Google supercavitation) because the skin drag is much reduced and higher speed is achieved. However, this comes at the price of running time/distance due to their relatively small volume.

I also have never heard of "training rounds" for ship artillery or with torpedoes and it seems a fairly risky thing to do with ships costing a good fraction of a billion dollars these days, but ship's steel hulls are about 1" thick with cross-beam supports so I could imagine 50 pounds of black powder making a good "boom" without risking a hull breach. As a point of reference, it took greater than 400 pounds of shaped explosives to put a 40ft hole in the USS Cole. Man, I'd never give a crew of these girls actual shells and missiles, it really doesn't make sense

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Tue May 10, 2016 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:36 am Reply with quote
Well, I was saying drop 'em in the water because they were about 500 yds away, if that, not 10 mi. Smile But ok, I'm glad it makes as much sense as giving teenagers who don't seem to be taking things all that seriously even when under fire a billion dollar ship to crew with no adults on board.

To me, training rounds would be essentially harmless dummies that were solely for the purpose of hands-on teaching of aiming and firing procedures to the shooters and evasion tactics to the target crews. Like, you know, with no explosives inside (maybe a small smoke bomb), and casings that would crumble on impact or something.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:39 am Reply with quote
I would like to think that the apparent numerous mutinies are due to the rodents' influence, but then we have the Musashi seemingly armed with live ammunition. Maybe a predetermined act against the Mermaids?
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I doubt training round for these things actually exist. Torpedo are really expensive (probably upward of 10K per torpedo, if not much more) so wasting that kind of money on training version makes little sense, especially since you can just have computer running simulation.

For shell, it wouldn't make much sense. First of all, wether there's explosive Inside or not, getting hit by a shell would still kill someone, so they'd never fire it at other people for training purpose. Even then they wouldn't serves much purpose since factoring out the explosion robs it of any training purpose.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
Actually, torpedoes cost in the range of $1M each which is why there are actually "training" versions where the warhead is removed and some mechanisms for flotation and dye release are added for recovery and reuse but these are for use almost exclusively on submarines. If one of those hit a ship, it wouldn't do anything but go "bonk". In thinking over my reply to Gina Szanboti I realized that the "torpedos" in Ep5 were actually anti-submarine torpedo-missiles also known as ASROC, which are quite real and used on current US and Japanese ships, range ~10nmi and they are deployed more or less as shown. I doubt they would be used against a ship because they are designed to launch and deploy vertically over the presumed location of an enemy sub before the ship got into their torpedo range. The delivered torpedo is intended to dive down, limited maneuverability might keep it from turning horizontal. I guess I'm too much into this, so I'll shut up now.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:25 am Reply with quote
Don't worry, the show was built for you, so you're allowed to geek out over it. Smile Thanks for the additional info. As little to nothing that I know about this, it's nice to get some confirmation that there was something wrong with that whole deal, even if I didn't know what!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
ep 6,

so the musashi took out 16 ships and not one single person died? ok

so it is a virus that the rats are affected with. the question is what exactly does it make people do. If it just made people go crazy or enraged then the crews wouldn't be working together to run a ship, they would just be fighting each other. And then there's the question as to why all electronics fail at critical times, apparently the rats do that as well somehow?. I hope the final reveal of whoever is behind the whole thing and their motive is well done considering we are half way through the series and its still a mystery.

Oh, and the captain runs off AGAIN! At this point if she's just going to run after anyone who is in trouble she should just step down from being captain and join the search and recovery team. The whole point of the captain is to be in charge and give orders to everyone in the ship so that everyone is working in sync with each other.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Ep6

I smell a real mutiny starting, if I were Mashiro I'd be looking up the procedure for dealing with dereliction of duty by the captain.. I think the hamster-rats will turn out to be a breed of "electric mouse" (pikachu). I can relate to Wilhelmina, a friend took me to a "German" restaurant run by Hispanics and that wasn't sauerkraut! Wasn't horrible, hand-made fresh, just weird-tasting pickled cabbage. And thanks to Animegomaniac, I couldn't help but see and agree that "Mi"'s 18 inchers outclass the 14 and 16 inchers on the Harakaze, one of the girls even embarrasingly defends the 5 inchers. And those grown men in Ep5 launching all those torpedoes hoping to score a hit on the Musashi below the waterline, with her underage schoolgirl crew too, but of course none of them has a chance of getting to target. Even though she's big, she is fast and agile! However, I don't get the crack in the bath that "a portable shrine should be light and stupid" Confused Can't wait to see next week.
Sitensis

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I actually think this anime has a great pace, a very good balance between SoL and action moments for its genre. It's also sort of unpredictable in which topics it takes a light hearted approach and in which a serious. I truly wasn't expecting the crew to put a distance to Misaki, and they would shrug it off in the joy of her safe return.

What's starting to bug me though, is that all weapons seem to be nerf guns. I'm not expecting an anime of this caliber to show death, but at least it would be nice if we could see some ships taking actual damage, rather than just bouncing around like the Toumai ships in the last episode.

And come on... Blowing a naval mine with a puny skipper and still being in once piece? GuP somewhat pulled it off by portraying the battles as sports tournaments and using non-lethal ammo, but that's not the case in Haifuri,so...
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
This show is quite interesting in the aspect that on the one hand, we have nice comedic, "nice-n'-fluffy" SoL moments, and on the other hand we have nicely-animated, good-sounding action sequences, that are somewhat undermined by the lack of consequences. At the start of episode #6, the Musashi has sunk some 30 ships according to the reports, but aside from a few light injuries, all of the personnel was unscathed. And then, near the end, the skipper was on top of a mine(!!), not so much as a bruise Rolling Eyes

I don't particularly want to see "down-n'-dirty" gore and death scenes, but all this "safe driving" theme is derailing the show's attempts to create heavier atmosphere.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
The higher-ups were discussing about what ships to use against Musashi right? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5