• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Macross the Universe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Macross has been done such a disservice from both sides of the Pacific. In Japan, they've driven the idol element into the ground by having it completely dominate the Macross narrative now. The entirely point of "The Minmay Defense" is culture shock to the Zentradi. This new series with its idol superheroes is a sad mirror to the degeneration of Japanese culture via the utter deification of (and perverted standards for) idols. Macross 7 was a freak show, Macross Zero was a frustrating waste of potential, and I can barely remember anything about Frontier outside it's soundtrack. It's the original SDF Macross and Macross Plus that has all the innovation and creativity in the franchise, with DYRL a spectacular revisiting of the original series. Plus is the height of narrative and thematic elements, driven by the brilliance of Shinichiro Watanabe, who compensates for Kawamori's flaws.

The first Macross was a bit of a spare-parts assembly:
It was originally envisioned in the planning stages as a comedy Gundam spoof (the anti-gravity engines rip out of the ship and fly off into space, the all-female "Bridge-bunny" crew are cute bumbling girls) before the ship design turned it into cool action, and the Minmay subplot was supposedly inspired by "Lili Marlene". (The girl-worth-fighting-for character in the song, and the fact that Allies and Germans found common ground both sobbing into their beers over one Marlene Dietrich song.)
That disorganization gave it a unique quality from other Gundam-esque mecha shows, in that the characters had a bit of an odder battle to fight, and what happened during and after the battle took the story into other more original places.

But yes, in Macross II, we see government-sponsored idols sending ships into battle with love songs about Valkyries--which is supposed to represent how the Minmay Defense became corrupted and commercialized in the complacent post-spacewar society--and when Basara goes on his first ambitious-newbie "Hear my song!" raid in 7, the pilots complain "Another kid who thinks he's the next Minmay that'll win the war..."
Delta just represents an anime that's now in the post-Love Live! era, where anime has to sell idols as well as shows (and do the "respectable" job of earning its own keep while appealing to horny NEET otaku), which seems even more corrupted and commercialized in our universe.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Here is my requisite "Macross 7 is good" post. It's a show that should be terrible on paper, but is very clever and fun, and I think it's representative of the best qualities the franchise is capable of (I actually like it more than the original series please not in the face not in the face). It's original and full of spirit.

That's the one whose lack of release kills me more than anything, since I get the feeling it's capable of a reception similar to G Gundam - there's another weird franchise show that had a lot of hate and misunderstanding before it actually became widely available. Although of course, unlike G, M7 has the additional baggage of requiring some knowledge of the previous series and/or DYRL. It does seem like the general attitude towards it has softened since digital fansubs have been out there, but still, sure would be nice to just point to Hulu or a box set or something...
Mr March

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, that article certainly ran the gamut of the franchise. I haven't read a massive Macross retrospective article like that in years. Not all the much new in there for veterans, but a great summation for casual fans and an excellent introduction for those yet to be. It was a good read. I'm also glad to see Ollie's interview article from Forbes getting some press. It's a great piece!

Macross Delta is definitely on the more ridiculous side of the Macross stories, but it's not as bad as some have made out. Or perhaps after the absurd Macross 7 series, we're all a little more numb to Macross when it takes a silly turn. If nothing else, Delta is fun to watch and discuss. It's certainly worth a try, especially if you're curious about it. Myself (and a couple other fans) are running a fun Recap Show for Macross Delta. BEWARE OF SPOILERS! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0EFP8ABH2k.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
80s and 90s. Maybe you bought the one on the left at Suncoast, or the one on the right at K-B Toys! These were EP-speed, quick and dirty releases of that weird dubbed version, with the “kids” version also having the bonus of numerous edits for violence, nudity, and all of the other great stuff we watch anime to see. Looks pretty goofy, right?

God, I wish I'd kept my copy of Clash of the Bionoids, incomprehesible and VHS-EP crappy looking as it was, if only for the weird melange of English-Speaking-Asia accents it mashed together: slightly British here, a touch Australian there, etc. At least the YouTube hive-mind has saved Fokker flying drunk for future generations.
Quote:
Satelight have really staked out an aesthetic that sets them apart. All of their hit offerings in recent years, like AKB0048, Bodacious Space Pirates, and yes, Macross Frontier, have a certain look to them. They're all vivid and bright, depicting a version of interstellar space travel that's candy-colored and adventuresome.

Man, oh man, you ain't kidding. Earlier this week, I skimmed through some of Satelight's 2012 Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse for my Anime Central panel, and its bright colors were a real shock coming off of this winter's Scharzesmarken, set in the same fictional universe but for which Liden Films apparently prohibited its writers from ever beginning a scene with the term "EXT. DAY". Even though the show might have been more accurately called "Muv-Luv Alternative: Troubled Production", it sure looked pretty; one reason I cosplay Muv-Luv is that those pointy uniforms' teal accents pop so much in the Satelight production, even more than in the source VN.

Well, as someone (Daryl Surat, maybe?) said a while back about Satelight, even when they're not making Macross, they're making Macross.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I entered Japan and Saitama Super Arena first the first time and after the opening Animelo Summer Live 2011 duets heard May'n sing "Kindan no Elixir" (Macross Frontier Movie Sayonara no Tsubasa OP). So I investigated the Macross Frontier series and movies and music. The four other times that I've heard May'n live she sang something from Macross Frontier (along with other songs).
A few years later I heard Yoshiki Fukuyama singing Dynamite Explosion from Macross 7.

Beyond official releases with English subtitles, I wouldn't need dubs to watch any of the franchise but if they were available they would make the franchise more accessible.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I've expressed my undying love for Do You Remember Love for years now. It's precious to me, perhaps my favorite anime overall if not one of my favorite films. It's what I consider the epitome of 80s anime, where the real look of science fiction was headed that SDF Macross and Crusher Joe had pioneered just a short while earlier. I was so turned off from the 2012 release, as it was tied to a game and received those weird cuts, that I don't think I've fully rewatched the film in HD yet, so I'm definitely looking forward to this new BluRay.
Mike wrote:
I then made the mistake of asking a couple of Macross-loving pals about whether or not I really needed to see that TV series after watching the two movies, which compile the series plot while also providing a brand-new ending to the saga.

The answer is literally the same as it is for DYRL: it's condensed and you need the TV show for all of the surrounding context.
Mike wrote:
“Do you really want Robotech 7?” asked Tommy, wincing theatrically. “Robotech Frontier?” If part of that deal would deliver uncut Macross 7 and Macross Frontier to fans, then yes, I kinda do.

I want the complete dissolution of Harmony Gold (and I guess for all of the employees to find work elsewhere, separately, outside of anime) so that their weird stranglehold can end permanently. I don't want these people to continue making money off of Macross and I don't want any more Macross labeled as "Robotech". I don't want a Robotech movie that will probably look like Starship Troopers 3.

The only people who've even heard of Robotech, as something independently known via ties to Macross (that's how I knew of it except maybe seeing a VHS tape at Blockbuster, once), are all at least in their mid 30s. I know that's a gross generalization and I'll get a few outliers, but Robotech NEVER entered the public consciousness or as an item of nostalgia for the 80s like Voltron did. All of those "I love the 80s" or "80s Kids Remember" will drudge up stuff like goddamn Beverly Hills High or Starcom: The U.S. Space Force, but never a mention of Robotech.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
IThe only people who've even heard of Robotech, as something independently known via ties to Macross (that's how I knew of it except maybe seeing a VHS tape at Blockbuster, once), are all at least in their mid 30s. I know that's a gross generalization and I'll get a few outliers, but Robotech NEVER entered the public consciousness or as an item of nostalgia for the 80s like Voltron did..

To underscore walw6pK4Alo's point (if they're done editing their post): Robotech debuted when I was a high school senior. I'm 48 now.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I've expressed my undying love for Do You Remember Love for years now. It's precious to me, perhaps my favorite anime overall if not one of my favorite films. It's what I consider the epitome of 80s anime, where the real look of science fiction was headed that SDF Macross and Crusher Joe had pioneered just a short while earlier. I was so turned off from the 2012 release, as it was tied to a game and received those weird cuts, that I don't think I've fully rewatched the film in HD yet, so I'm definitely looking forward to this new BluRay.
Mike wrote:
I then made the mistake of asking a couple of Macross-loving pals about whether or not I really needed to see that TV series after watching the two movies, which compile the series plot while also providing a brand-new ending to the saga.

The answer is literally the same as it is for DYRL: it's condensed and you need the TV show for all of the surrounding context.

In that DYRL is not actually the show recap, it's the movie-within-a-movie History of Macross movie the ship made about the battle for propaganda purposes--
Which is why Minmay is already a star when Hikaru first meets her, why she's the focus of the climax, and why the series saga is wrapped up neatly and differently unlike the dozen-odd "Reconstruction era" TV episodes we get after the end of the battle.

It's got things to like that the series doesn't (a different, shorter meeting for Max and Miriya), but that's why it's not my favorite-favorite compared to the original series.
Minmay was much more sympathetic--not the "whiny" character that Robotech-raised fans keep demonizing her--when we see her relationship with Hikaru start from the beginning, and both characters' fames end up splitting them apart.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Here is my requisite "Macross 7 is good" post. It's a show that should be terrible on paper, but is very clever and fun, and I think it's representative of the best qualities the franchise is capable of (I actually like it more than the original series please not in the face not in the face). It's original and full of spirit.

I'm by no means a veteran Macross fan (I mainlined the whole franchise in about 4 months after Delta was announced) but I'm 100% with you. While I thought 7 was slow to start, I looooooove the character designs and color work way more than anything else in the franchise, and it has by far my favorite cast. It's definitely sillier than most of the Franchise, but honestly I think that plays to its strengths better than Frontier's more self-serious demeanor.

So far Delta seems like a blast, and I'm hoping it'll deliver better than Frontier did (that show also started off fun as hell, but man did it deflate in the 2nd half...) and I'm curious to see what they'll do with such a large cast.

(also somebody help, Ikenai Borderline and Holy Lonely Light have been dueling for airtime in my brain for months now how do I make them stop?)
MrBonk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
fudge you,Harmony Gold.
That is all. Wink

I can't think of any funny witty insults. I wish I could Sad
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This meant that I went from shop to shop in Akihabara, trying to figure out who had the best prices for Gundam Breaker 2 and Puyo Puyo Tetris.

That's funny, I'm going next month and will be looking for Puyo Puyo Tetris too! Last time I was there they just had the regular ~$60 version, but now that the cheaper special version is out, I'll be keeping my eyes open for that.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I grew up on Robotech. It lead to my love hard core anime, but i don't like Harmony Gold continues to ruin everything for everyone who wants to see Macross franchise.

That's said, I love Do You Remember Love? movie, it was best of Macross. I remember getting a copy of it with Australian accents as a dub. Uncensored. It was amusing. I wish I could convert the thing into a DVD.

As for the future, i don't have high hopes. Unless someone buys out Harmony Gold, US isn't going get anything. Meaning we have fend for our selves.

Having watch 2 episodes of Macross Delta, I'm not impressed with series. I'm not into idol groups, its goofy concept. From Macross TV to this....I guess if your Macross 7 fan, this is truly a sequel for you. Not me.

Last edited by Wrangler on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
I can't think of any funny witty insults. I wish I could

I could teach you, but I run the risk of Psycho 101 unleashing his horde of mummy ninja sharks from the sixth dimension, those guys seriously want my Alien vs. Predator DVD collection. Razz
Quote:
fudge you,Harmony Gold.

I can agree with this though, remember two years ago when they tried that kickstarter that blew up in their face and mere days before it expired they cancelled it?

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-08/04/robotech-academy-cancelled
Darthtabby

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Despite the first Frontier movie reusing a substantial amount of material from the series, the movies and TV series are ultimately quite different. Even who lives and who dies isn't consistent between the two versions. There are also changes to the characterization and relationships between the three leads. Ultimately the movies correct some of the TV series flaws, but also lose some things in the process. Personally I'm more of a fan of the TV series but Your Mileage May Vary.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Darthtabby wrote:
Despite the first Frontier movie reusing a substantial amount of material from the series, the movies and TV series are ultimately quite different. Even who lives and who dies isn't consistent between the two versions. There are also changes to the characterization and relationships between the three leads. Ultimately the movies correct some of the TV series flaws, but also lose some things in the process. Personally I'm more of a fan of the TV series but Your Mileage May Vary.

I'd heard that they were quite different. In that case, does anybody know which version is acknowledged by Delta as canon?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5