• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Macross the Universe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
stowrag wrote:
I'm still unclear though: with all the legal entanglements, how did the original Macross get a faithful release in the west back around 2012? With a new english dub with Vic Mignona and Monica Rial, (not to mention Mari Ijima)?

It seems like a lot of effort to go through.

Especially considering what a horrendous dub that was. Just because Ijima can speak English, doesn't mean she can act in English. She clearly couldn't. ADV had some of the worst directors, too, because even Monica Rial was lackluster in it, and completely miscast. Funimation has gotten so much more out of her than ADV or Sentai ever did/has.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Frontier should be an okay jump in point. It was for me. Macross Plus is not really relevant to the main time line, though it is a good stand alone show.

I would agree with this generally.. Just about any of the Macross series can be watched without really needing background... not that it doesn't add some depth to the Series as there are references everywhere....

As for Macross+ I'd recommend that as a start point.. its relatively easy to acquire and not real expensive.. right stuff just recently had a sale on it.. And its relatively light.. not the 20+ episodes of frontier.. and don't get me started on 7!

Frontier does kind of give you a run down on the events that transpired up to it's time period.. and Macross+ is not needed to understand it.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Thank You Mike for this article. I'm a big Macross junkee and really enjoyed it.

When I first moved to Los Angeles in 1989, I was doing temp jobs through an employment agency named Friedman Talent Agency (not sure if they exist anymore). I got a call from the agency regarding a receptionist/secretarial gig, and I'm quoting, "this tiny little company on Sunset, I'm not sure if you've ever heard of them but they're called Harmony Gold." I was a huge Robotech fan and had to stop myself from screaming into the phone "YES OMG YES I'LL TAKE IT!!!!" I went to bed happy and excited and prepared to start the temp job at the company that did Robotech. At the time I was living in a shoebox apartment near UCLA and was parking my car in the street. The next morning, I ran out to my car, and found that someone had hit it in the middle of the night. I just stood there in shock. A person on a balcony of a nearby apartment building told me he had actually seen my car get hit by a black pick-up truck which drove away after it slammed into my vehicle. Apparently the guy was a drunk driver, and no one was able to get his license plate number. My car was towed to a local mechanic, and it took them one month to repair the damages. I went back up to my apartment, called the temp agency, told them what happened, hung up the phone, and cried like a four-year-old who had his favorite toy stolen and smashed in front of him. Years later, seeing all of the vitriol that HG has accumulated, I'm almost thankful I didn't get that job. It all worked out; I even got to meet Carl Macek not once but twice through friends at the industry job I eventually got at Warner Brothers Animation. Your article and pictures of Harmony Gold reminded me of this, some 27 years later. Smile

Angel'sArcanum wrote:
So I hear the original Plus blu-ray set was a bit problematic because the subs weren't great or something and it was only subbed on one version (OVA or movie format) while dubbed on the other without subs or something, I forget all the details, but I hear it wasn't a great release, but now there's a new release of the movie version that came out earlier this year, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if it has subs or not as well. Yesasia hasn't mentioned anything about it, so I'm not sure. I found the Manga US DVDs a little while ago, but I may want to upgrade if there are subs and the quality is worth it.

Then there's the Macross Frontier movies, I know they too were subbed in some special edition box that, like the Plus Blu-Ray box, is now OOP and such, and was a bit pricey at the time if I recall, but they put out both movies individually now and I'm wondering if they have subs too or if this is like the whole Jojo thing where they had subs for the early 2-3 episode Blu-Rays but removed them for the 9 episode sets. Can anyone clear this up for me?

I'm not sure if anyone has fully answered your question, although I've seen bits and pieces of answers, so I'll try to help. I own both the Macross Plus Complete Blu-ray Box and the Macross Frontier Blu-ray set which has both Macross F movies. Plus has the International Versions of the 4-episode OVA. There are no English subtitles on any of the OVA's. The first 3 episodes contain the Manga dub, but the 4th has a weird hybrid dub with David Hayter from Metal Gear as Isamu instead of Bryan Cranston. The only two voices that are unchanged are Myung's and Steve Blum's part. My understanding is the Japanese could not obtain the English dub from LA Hero and made their own. At any rate, the disc syncs up perfectly with Manga's dvd release, so whenever I watch episode 4, I listen to the Manga dvd with no problems. As for the Macross Plus movie, I find the subtitles to be fine. There's some weird slang and an occasional misspelled word, but considering the crappy Hong Kong bootlegs I've suffered through over the years, I'm more than happy with the quality. Also, the picture and sound quality is spectacular on both OVA and film. It's like I'm watching them for the very first time.

The subtitles for the Macross F movies are nearly perfect, but it helps to check out the Macross World podcasts as Gwyn and the gang actually worked on the subtitles and noted that some odd changes were made. It doesn't detract from the overall quality of the subtitles, however. No complaints. No dub, either. The subsequent Blu-ray re-releases, as others have noted, do not contain English subtitles.

I've already pre-ordered the Macross Delta Limited Edition box. For now, only the first volume is listed as having English subtitles. I really hope the remaining volumes will have subs as well, but I've heard no confirmation of this. It would be nice, since I'd like to support these releases with English subtitles so that Japan keeps 'em coming!

Hope this helps.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
ResistNormal wrote:
Any one want to start a kickstarter to raise money for Big West and Bandai to finally challenge Harmony Gold in court. Lol

Trust me. if every anime otaku especially maccross fans had the crapload of money and resources to do that, they sure as hell definitely would do it and put that abomination of a company six feet under once and for all,and with it all licenses and rights to stranglehold the maccross franchise from coming to the US. sure Manga Ent released maccross plus and ADV Films had the original super dimension maccross released and even went so far as to get the original Japaneese Voice Actress for Lin Minmay to do her english counterpart, it unfortunately didn't stopped those bastards from HG to bascially put the entire franchise for the western region on lockdown prevent newer series like frontier and delta from being released in the US. i swear US copyrights are so half-assed and so over baked at times its not even funny.

Mike Toole wrote:
Macross Zero is valuable, however, because it set the stage for Kawamori and his studio, Satelight, to continue pushing Macross forward. Zero wasn't all that great, but it was eventually followed by Macross Frontier, which I recently sat down and watched, officially, in English.

Uh when did that happened? cause from the info on the website, the series haven't been licensed by any english company at all let alone got an official english dub , unless that was the animax asia english dub version that is which is usually the norm for that region since their the main company that does english dubs for that region even though they suck as hell and puts all the crap dubs 4kids / 4k media and nelvana did to some anime series to shame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
@TarsTarkas @Stampeed Valkyrie Thanks! Plus is pretty short, so I might check that out, but it's nice to know I can just start with Frontier =)

Although, looking the series over, I might watch DYRL first as a nice refresher...
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:28 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Mike Toole wrote:
Macross Zero is valuable, however, because it set the stage for Kawamori and his studio, Satelight, to continue pushing Macross forward. Zero wasn't all that great, but it was eventually followed by Macross Frontier, which I recently sat down and watched, officially, in English.

Uh when did that happened?

Back in 2014, when they kindly decided to include English subs on the Japanese Frontier Movie boxset.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:08 am Reply with quote
I forgot to mention this but,despite all legal issues with the franchise outside Japan,Brazil managed to have both the original Macross AND the Do You Remember Love movie dubbed and broadcasted on TV in the 90's!Hell,the movie got two different dubs produced(and I have both recorded!)!
The original Macross was actually dubbed in the same time frame and even the same studio as Robotech's dub (with the same VAs voicing different characters through both series ,saving a few exceptions. )and both were broadcasted at the same in different networks.Crazy,huh?
Do You Remember Love was released on VHS in the early 90's with a dub cast unrelated to both Robotech's and Macross' and a second dub was produced in the late 90's(again,with none of the previous casts retained) when it was broadcasted on Locomotion(a channel that many Latin American fans have fond memories of.).Yeah,as a kid,I got to watch the masterpiece that was the Macross movie on TV .Back then,I knew nothing about the Macross franchise or its cultural impact,and now when I think about it and its legal issues,I realize I got to experience what few people managed to. Seriously,how many people here can say they got to watch the Macross movie being broadcasted on TV?
Mr March

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Mike Toole wrote:

Uh when did that happened? cause from the info on the website, the series haven't been licensed by any english company at all let alone got an official english dub , unless that was the animax asia english dub version that is which is usually the norm for that region since their the main company that does english dubs for that region even though they suck as hell and puts all the crap dubs 4kids / 4k media and nelvana did to some anime series to shame.

A note since it's on the subject of official translations, the Macross Delta blu-rays are the same region as North America and have recently been confirmed to have English subtitles. So you can purchase Macross directly from Japan and watch official English translations right on your blu-ray players.
stowrag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
stowrag wrote:
I'm still unclear though: with all the legal entanglements, how did the original Macross get a faithful release in the west back around 2012? With a new english dub with Vic Mignona and Monica Rial, (not to mention Mari Ijima)?

It seems like a lot of effort to go through.

Especially considering what a horrendous dub that was. Just because Ijima can speak English, doesn't mean she can act in English. She clearly couldn't. ADV had some of the worst directors, too, because even Monica Rial was lackluster in it, and completely miscast. Funimation has gotten so much more out of her than ADV or Sentai ever did/has.

Really? I thought it was pretty decent considering the quality of the animation they were attempting to sync to, not to mention the ridiculousness of the story. I loved Monica as Hayase (would love to see her play more older characters), and thought it was cool they got Ijima. Most people I've talked to really only had a problem with her accent.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
ResistNormal wrote:
Any one want to start a kickstarter to raise money for Big West and Bandai to finally challenge Harmony Gold in court. Lol

Trust me. if every anime otaku especially maccross fans had the crapload of money and resources to do that, they sure as hell definitely would do it and put that abomination of a company six feet under once and for all.....

Money is not the issue. Big West and Bandai would have sued Harmony Gold a long time ago if they thought they had a case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5