• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Flying Witch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:04 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Was Akane hinting that she appeared in an adult video or is my mind just completely in the gutter?
In the original she only said that the title was embarrassing and not the movie itself so the implication is a bit more vague than in the subs.
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
I had to look it up, but yea, "ostrich ferns" are better known as "fiddleheads" in the Northern US. You can find them in early spring and they are good pickled!

Linky: https://extension.umaine.edu/publications/2540e/

Getting excited about pickled goods (and gardening), adoring Chito-san like a cat lady, and enjoying a show where nothing happens... good lord this show makes me feel like an old lady.

EDIT: Less sure about what "victory onions" are... are they more like scallions or leeks? INQUIRING OLD LADIES WANT TO KNOW!

EDIT2: I can't decide whether that cafe's reclusiveness is a terrible business model or hipster genius.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
DrunkAyanami wrote:
Less sure about what "victory onions" are... are they more like scallions or leeks? INQUIRING OLD LADIES WANT TO KNOW!

More like leeks I'd say, since the other name is Alpine leek (Allium victorialis). Smile The Japanese word is gyojyaninniku. Google images for alpine leek to see what they look like (all the good pics are enormous).

I was a bit put out with Makoto for not asking the ghost waitress if it was ok to make her visible. It's like taking someone's picture without asking. :/
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
I'm with the reviewer, this episode was better for having more of the "everyday magic" and wonder in it. Lots of little things added to the charm, like the the unseen but inevitable spoiler[tree frog hopping onto Nao's face, the bear hearing the commotion from a distance] and getting frightened off, the cafe hiding in plain sight (sort of) and the delicious-looking "fiddle-head ferns" in sesame preparation (hey, again? No fair, share...) And "Miss Ghost" was just adorable, she is probably self-conscious of her slightly messy hair. Her method of communicating with note paper was utterly charming and considerate, no disembodied voices! I suppose objects in contact with her remain similarly invisible until they are set down which is a really unique idea as I haven't seen it employed elsewhere. I was wondering when she'd "show up" seeing her in the opener all this time. It'll be interesting to see who the other two girls in that sequence are and when they "show up". I really related to the opening sequence having an "old lady" tuxedo cat similar to Chito-sempai, especially the part where Nao is being "tail-whipped". My "Chito-sempai" will saunter up to me on the bed and if I don't start petting will get her face close to my ear and exclaim "meh!"
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
Another enjoyable episode. I enjoyed both halves of episode 7, and I am becoming kind of obsessed with the free-spirited Akane. And like most of the episodes in this series, I can only give episode seven 4 stars or a B+.

And it is not that I am not liking this series (it is my favorite show of this season), but it seems to be a case where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Muffum

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Flying Witch has pretty consistently been my favorite show this season, but even by the pretty high standards I have for the series at this point, this episode was fantastic. It was essentially a distillation of all the series's greatest strengths into one episode, to the point where I was both surprised and saddened by how quickly it all seemed to pass by.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Ep review wrote wrote:
I couldn't help but feel that a cafe whose very appearance demands performing a ritual and whose waiter can only communicate through sticky notes might have some difficulties in today's cutthroat restaurant market.

On the other hand they will have intense loyalty for the customers they do get. That's a facet of the restaurant market often overlooked. Near where I live there are two coffee houses that would be totally ignored by anyone traveling through from out-of-town in favor of the well-known Starbucks or Peets. They are in unique, almost hidden buildings but you don't have to pray or chant anything to get in. The all-wood furniture is sturdy but looks like it was scavenged from yard sales held by farm houses and no two chairs or tables are alike. But the coffee and pastries there are about 3x better than anything the large franchise chains can serve and when I go there the same people with occasional add-ons are always there. The only reason those places would go out of business is if the owners decided to call it quits.

So it raises the question as to just how many magical citizen live in the area anyway? Enough to support a cake and coffee house.

I thought we would have more remarks about The Herbs Nao Won't Eat but I guess we have a more classy audience here.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe Chito's the same age as my cat, who's now several years older than I was when I got her. She's a lot more active and flexible than my geriatric kitty, though.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
So it raises the question as to just how many magical citizen live in the area anyway? Enough to support a cake and coffee house. .

it's also hinted to be the only cafe at walking distacne, magical or not.

and deducting ghost wages and rent, and since it seems the blonde owner has got a side job, teh cafe should still be profitable. what is a ghost's wage in japan anyway ?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm mainly wondering whether ordinary humans see the café as "run down" even after witches say the chant, or, if the changes are visible to non-magical folk, why it doesn't seem to arouse any interest that a normally derelict building suddenly looks pristine, but only for short periods of time?

(Or maybe they explain all this in the episode; I actually haven't seen it yet since I only watch free streams so I won't watch it until this weekend, I'm just a spoiler-reader.)

EDIT: I've since found out that at least the manga goes into detail about how long the real version of the café is visible for after the bowing/clapping ritual is performed as well as who can see and enter the café, so, since the anime follows the manga very closely aside from sometimes padding the stories a little and switching the order of some stories around, it was almost certainly also explained in the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
I think Ep8 is the best so far for conveying the sense of wonder all around that escapes mundane people's notice. The "regular customers" are an enchanting group and I really wish there were a place so charming in reality. The people who inhabit this world show so much love too, but I'd have been worried at Makoto and Chizu's antics bothering the guests. @Tenchi they don't go into detail about the building's spell except to say that the building resumes it's appearance shortly after someone enters. I also think the appearance would invite curiosity if it appeared in the same dilapidated condition for over two centuries. Maybe Japan doesn't have the bum problem that the US does but I'd bet someone would try to check it out (neighborhood kids too). A minor "problem" though is that I believe Akane visits Vietnam which is 30 deg latitude west from Japan, so it'd be day in both places much of the time and it'd be later in the day in Japan. Still, love this show.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:26 am Reply with quote
I'm the glad the cafe's regulars were so amenable to being approached (and in the case of the ladybugs, doggedly pursued) by high-energy strangers.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:06 am Reply with quote
It kinda bothers me how disrespectful Makoto is to other entities (except the Harbinger), but her sister isn't really any better. First she outed the ghost. Then the ladybugs came for a nice quiet date, and chasing them around was not just stupid but rude. At least they asked the fox, but maybe because it could bite them. Chinatsu is picking up bad habits from them.

It would also have been a nice touch if they hadn't gone out of their way to emphasize that the ladybugs were a male/female couple. Just let people happily assume whatever they like, or self-scandalize by imagining two lady bugs on a date. Smile

Somehow I never imagined the Veil of Darkness as having nothing to do during the day. Unless there are one or two dozen Veils working out there, it's always struck me as a 24/7/365 job. If she doesn't keep moving, night won't fall to the west, and morning won't come in the east when she's passed by. Fantasia probably affected my thinking on that though. That and time zones...
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:13 am Reply with quote
I kept expecting Anzu to say something in response to the group badgering her customers, but aside from shooting them a mildly disapproving look when they were petting the fox, she seemed strangely unaffected. (Maybe she wasn't as cool with the ladybugs not having any money as she initially claimed.)
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Chinatsu is picking up bad habits from them.

They're obviously used to Muggles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7