• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Flying Witch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
4.5 stars for episode 10. There was no literal magic, but the execution and characters' interactions felt very magical this week. I had so much fun with this episode that it felt very short. This episode pretty much secures Flying Witch as my favorite anime series of this season.

Crunchryoll reported that episode 11 will be delayed a week on Japanese tv. I hope this does not screw too much with CR's streaming.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/06/11/flying-witch-japanese-broadcast-schedule-delayed-by-1-week
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
As a Japanese linguistics nerd I really loved episode 10, as it was the most dialect-heavy episode so far with lines by the father, the cooking teacher, the ladies helping out at the farm and even Nao (still a bit funny that they hired an A-list VA who's actually from the area to mostly speak standard Japanese aside from two very short lines in this episode). The teacher's caught me off guard at first, since her first lines were just standard Japanese with a weird intonation, so I assumed she was from Kansai or something. Didn't realize that Tsugaru dialect's pitch accent placement was so different from standard Japanese (but then, Mikami Shiori did mention in an interview that she has to use an electronic dictionary to confirm standard pronunciations all the time). And they actually used the "Tsugaru dialect sounds like French to other Japanese people" gag! Plus the irony of the one bringing it up being Akane, the character who has actually been to at least one French-speaking country.

Other than that yeah, Nao's struggles with cooking were very relatable and the information about apple farming was interesting.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
To me, what she ended up making was meatloaf, not hamburger. Her original idea of just make a patty and fry it is a hamburger. Smile

But I think that's a translation issue? There must be different words for the patty they get at WacDonald's (which is essentially what she described) and the sauce covered "hamburger steak" she ended up making.

Those cookies. Kinda too literal a take on "lady fingers" biscuits, but an image search suggests others have had the same idea... Smile
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
To me, what she ended up making was meatloaf, not hamburger. Her original idea of just make a patty and fry it is a hamburger. Smile

But I think that's a translation issue? There must be different words for the patty they get at WacDonald's (which is essentially what she described) and the sauce covered "hamburger steak" she ended up making.

I see it translated as Salisbury steak, mostly. Guess they went the lazy way out though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I think I usually see it in anime as "hamburg steak," which is essentially Salisbury steak.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Imagine this. It's an anime. A cooking class in high school. A girl nervous about her cooking skills for good reason.

But we get no fires, nothing boiled over, nobody poisoned or turned blue when forced to eat something. No inedible mess with the requisite fish head sticking out of it. No clouds of smoke or rancid miasma.

Instead: the girl learns something and produces a passible dish.

Ladies and gentlemen a revolution has just occurred. Hell froze over. We are in a new age. This is just not supposed to happen because it defies all known laws.

I just don't know where we can go from here.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Is cutting all the flower but one on apple tree a Japanese things? I've been to plenty of apple orchard and usually every branch bear tons of apples (the branch sometime get so heavy they get close to touching the ground). Plus manually removing every flower from every branch from every tree would take forever.
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Is cutting all the flower but one on apple tree a Japanese things? I've been to plenty of apple orchard and usually every branch bear tons of apples (the branch sometime get so heavy they get close to touching the ground). Plus manually removing every flower from every branch from every tree would take forever.

They definitely thin them. Maybe not down to to one apple per cluster, but they are definitely thinned, and even after thinning, you will have multiple apples per branch and yes the branch will still be weighed down.

It depends upon the apple tree as well... dwarf and semi-dwarf varieties need to be thinned more than regular, large sized apple trees because they're smaller. The height of the trees in the show looked about semi-dwarf height (10-15 ft), but I could be wrong, they could just be pruning standard trees to that height, especially with the whole "we only let the side branches grow" stuff.

And yes, removing all the little flowers is a ton of work. You can thank migrant workers for that.

Gah, this show, it's like all my old lady hobbies rolled into one.

Also, Nao reminded me so much of my husband, who is terrified of cooking, in this episode. Right down to the awkward "oh shit he's gonna hurt himself" onion cutting.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:27 am Reply with quote
Starting to look like an animated cooking and gardening show, I know I got some tips. I had heard that some shows for kids in Japan were being deliberately educational in home economics, especially shows for young girls. I'd guess this might be one but if so, Japanese men and women of the future have some good cooking to look forward to at this rate.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:56 am Reply with quote
DrunkAyanami wrote:
They definitely thin them. Maybe not down to to one apple per cluster, but they are definitely thinned, and even after thinning, you will have multiple apples per branch and yes the branch will still be weighed down.

When we were kids we used to eat the apples off of trees that weren't thinned. The apples were small, crispy, and sour. I always much preferred those to the oversized, oversweet, waxy sugarbags that the market prefers.

Edit: That last apple you ate is 100 times sweeter than anything found in nature.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the sweet or sour flavor is a function of thinning so much as the variety of apple. But the market does seem to favor bigger fruit, so thinning is required.

I really miss the wild apple trees where I grew up too. I think that variety is now being sold at a premium as "lady apples" (not to be confused with Pink Lady apples), although even those are a little squashed looking, where ours were at least apple shaped (and the size of a tangerine)
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
4.5 stars for episode 11 and 5 starts for episode 12. I missed not having an episode of Flying Witch 8 days ago, but the wait was so worth it as the last two episodes delivered on the best aspects of the series: highly likable and charming characters; finding joy in everyday life and great atmosphere and tone. I feel satisfied with this show.

And even though I can only give Flying Witch a Good rating (a lack of story being the main reason why my grade cannot be higher), I really enjoyed it. This series is hands down my favorite anime of Spring 2016.
Muffum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Man I'm gonna miss this show a ton. Easily my favorite of the season, and likely one of my favorites of the past few years. Everything in it's just so impeccably done and comes together so well; episode 12 was a fantastic finale, serving as a microcosm for everything wonderful about the series. Even if there's almost no chance for a season 2 ever, I'll hold onto hope for as long as I possibly can.
Reibubba

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Thoroughly enjoyed this show ! Every season needs at least one anime which can be best described as "feelgood". No need for drama, histrionics, emotional turmoil etc, just well designed characters, great backgrounds and good scripting. Non non biyori was the same - just leaves you with a warm, fuzzy glow Anime smile
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
This was such a lovely slice of life series with a healthy dose of magic sprinkled on top!

I liked how the characters didn't act like "typical anime characters" but more natural, like regular people. A lesser series might have given us the usual "accidental fanservice" trope for example which seems to be mandatory in anime when a teenage girl lives under the same roof as a teeange boy and i very much appreciated the lack of that. Also cats. Cats make everything better, of course. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7