• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Though if you're talking about his ostentatious clown get-up, yeah, if that's a call back to "fabulous" gay male stereotypes, I can get why that bothers you. On the other hand, we know so, so little about Lord Roswaal that I'm leaning towards giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I have a feeling that what we perceive as stereotypical fabulous gay stereotypes isn't necessarily viewed quite the same in Japan. Roswaal's makeup to me suggests a joker, in the same style as Hisoka in Hunter x Hunter. Hisoka, and I believe Roswaal too, was not quite what he seemed to be when only taken at face value (i.e., Hisoka had far more layers than a stereotype). So right now, I see both of them as sort of trickster characters, as signaled by their makeup.

As for their affected style of speech, I think that too denotes something different for Japanese viewers. If you look at the character of Wang Qi (Ou Ki) in Kingdom, he bears all the hallmarks of what we'd view as stereotypically gay, with his flamboyant mannerisms and affected speech (even he jokes about it), but he's clearly heterosexual, had a fiancee, and is a legendary general, respected by nations (not that being gay would rule out the last part, but his fiancee was not a sham). So I think his characterization has something to do with court speech and customs, more than being code for gay.

It seems to me when anime is going for the stereotype, they land on transvestites and love-sick puppies (or sex-starved predators), usually with a 5 o'clock shadow. :/

But I could be completely wrong and talking through my hat, having never lived in Japan or knowing anything about the nuances of language and culture. Very Happy So ymmv, take with a few kilos of salt.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know this was going to be a 2 season series, I thought it was only going to be 13 eps. I'm really happy it's continuing so I don't really have any complaints about the latest episode just because of that
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Being the first episode of a new arc does not give the series a free pass to get sloppy on either the artwork or the storytelling.

But, again, I'm expecting that this is an aberration rather than a normal thing for this series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Being the first episode of a new arc does not give the series a free pass to get sloppy on either the artwork or the storytelling.

But, again, I'm expecting that this is an aberration rather than a normal thing for this series.

I don't recall seeing any sloppy artwork that would ruin an episode. Care to give me some examples?
Showsni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Did kind of feel like they were rushing a little to squeeze all this setup into a single episode and get it out of the way - and once again, no time for opening or ending sequence. I read through the manga adaptation of the same events, and it looks like this episode covered about 5 chapters from Felix's visit to Felt's appearance. Don't know how long that took in the original novel version, but I think they trimmed quite a few bits from the manga version, at least spoiler[ (explaining about Earth Dragons and talents in general, the thugs getting reinforcements, Rom saving Subaru and Priscilla more explicitly and talking more about his situation, the thugs returning after Emilia finds Subaru and being driven off by Rem, Subaru being told by Rom the appa seller can contact him, Subaru being found by Priscilla's knight when he tries to meet Rom via the appa salesman and being taken by him to the carriage, Priscilla's knight explaining more of his own story to Subaru in the carriage... etc)]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
While I would not say that I disliked the episode, I do now kind of understand where people are coming from. The episode does feel hasty, like they took the points from the source that they wanted to be covered in a single episode and staked that they could get them out of the way with minimal problems.

I think that I too noticed some art problem, for some reason Rem's character was kind of bothering me like it did not belong in several scenes, which somewhat overcame that I liked a general shift in her character after the previous arc. Could be that some things were off model or not too impressive because I think that they may have diverted some resources to make the city feel busy with all the various city goers walking around with a number of unique looking models.

Yes some new characters might seem a bit cliché at the moment, although I have some trust that we might see something more from them. And similarly I think that Subaru doing something against the wishes Emilia is something the show may be aware of enough to use. Talking about characters, I kind of like the guy wearing a helmet despite his chest open.
xyz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't think last episode was that good to get an A and this episode was that bad to get a C+. Anyways, things are getting a little too convoluted and for the length remaining I probably won't even have an idea of how the outline of the whole puzzle looks like. Most likely I won't be able to find out why Subaru was pulled to this world. Maybe it's not supposed to be relevant anymore.
Australian JRPG Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I had a strange feeling that it was going to be Felt.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Australian JRPG Gamer wrote:
I had a strange feeling that it was going to be Felt.

So you Felt it?
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Man, the reviewer was harsh this week! I personally enjoyed the episode, and really liked the humor throughout (Subaru being picked up instantly by Presciel (?) amused me greatly).

It did seem rather strong but admittedly not out of character, Theron was clear about what he didn't like and its been consistent from the beginning so its not like he's just making up stuff per episode, that said i disagree about most of what he found disagreeable.

as much as i love subaru and i always have till now after such action packed episodes for him to go full otaku on us so quickly so fast it was unpleasant. The comedy about him acting like a child in the carriage was hilarious but his long conversations have overstayed their welcome. His banter with the helmet guy was funny but the others just seemed forced.
The stereotypical rich girl annoys me but i do want to see where they go with this before I hate her and what is with anime protagonists and harems?
I mean has there been any anime series where the relationship between the protagonist and a major character of the opposite sex is not love, hate or indifference(rhetorical question to be honest)?
Im mostly talking about Rem though rich girl will probably fall under love, I can understand that she's taken a liking to Subaru because of their ordeal but actually falling in love with him is just so... cliched. I mean why can she just like him platonically (like how takanashi loves small things)

and unsurprisingly Felt is another candidate for the throne, does make you wonder just how dedicated Reinhard is to making her king--err queen or is it priestess?

oh and as for me if i had to rate this ep id say it was a B+ or A-, its got everything i like after a big arc... but too much of it.

edit: oh right, before i forget a while back some people were theorizing that Roswaal might have been the one to firebomb rem and rams village, a supporting theory on that could be that the demon village was literally that, a village of evil people that needed(or rather acceptable) to be burned to the ground and while Roswaal was torching adults he saw 2 kids and decided not to torch them cause they might still be innocent although he might have attacked them thinking that they were dangerous because Ram certainly was till she lost her horn.
I mean that village elder was totally gonna kill those twins and while people objected they didn't really do anything to stop him till Ram displayed her natural talent, also correct me if im wrong but they were presumably the only children in the village.

Remember naruto where spoiler[itachi managed to convince the elders of konoha to spare his brother since he was the only uchiha(a child) who wasnt planning a coup ] sorta like that
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:39 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I read the links Ironmaw provided, and while they do clarify some things (some of which I already grasped), others remain unclear. I don't want to get into possible spoiler territory, but:

A (dragon) shrine maiden isn't a king, and re-establishing the pact doesn't necessarily mean that the person who re-establishes it becomes the next king. It could mean that they pave the way for the next king to ascend to the throne. And who writes these "prophesies", anyway? The Dragon? I'm guessing that the girls who have been found suitable were determined by the reaction of that one stone to their touch, but does each girl have a single, specific backer? Well, I'm sure at least some of this will be explained next episode, or soon afterwards, so I should just be patient. As it is, though, I am pretty suspicious of this whole process. Razz

Well my point is that what prophecy states and provisional government that is in place is merely following as the previous King did. Whether there is some ulterior motive from the Dragon or not is all we speculate.

As far as backers are concerned it seems like only Emilia has one because she is a only commoner without a major source of income on her own. Felt is in a similar situation.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:44 am Reply with quote
Re:Zero episode 12 is the start of arc 3 and already adapted over half of volume 4. Too many things were skipped....

Well anyone tell me if they want a summary of what was skipped.

PS: it's a lot <.<
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:47 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Re:Zero episode 12 is the start of arc 3 and already adapted over half of volume 4. Too many things were skipped....

Showsni summarized the omissions compared to the manga in this post, so if there are different omissions compared to the novel then I'd be interested in seeing a summary of them in spoiler tags.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:59 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:

Showsni summarized the omissions compared to the manga in this post, so if there are different omissions compared to the novel then I'd be interested in seeing a summary of them in spoiler tags.

spoiler[-Discussion in the beginning of Subaru's growing reputation as a scholar due to him introducing modern technology.
-A lot of Subaru x Rem moments throughout in which Emilia in the background is secretly jealous about and Roswaal teases the "lovers." It's usually Rem asking him to spoil her in which he does.
-Discussion of divine protection and whether or not Subaru possesses it. Rem possess divine protection of the wind.
-Pretty much all scenes prior to their initial departure to the capital was skipped and the carriage ride briefly summarized. (RIP no tsundere Beato this ep.)
-In the anime, Subaru flies off the carriage due to being reckless. In the novel, he wanted to sit next to Rem at the driver seat so he went out only to be blown away by the wind. He was saved by Rem as he was about to die and passes out only to wake up finding that Roswaal was giving him a lap pillow.
-At Kadomon's shop, Subaru was having monologue about how important the place was due to it being his first restart point in the world. Kadomon actually forgot about him but remembers when Subaru and Emilia were "flirting." He shows his kindness by having a nice chat and giving them extra appas.
-When Subaru first meets Priscilla cornered by thugs, they didn't argue in place until Rom comes like in the anime. The situation actually got dangerous that the two were running away until meeting Rom, thus causing the thugs to escape. Later, the thugs attempted to ambush them but Al and Rem beat them up.
-After defying orders to stay at home and meeting Al and Priscilla again, Subaru went to Kadomon to tell him to tell Rom he'll be searching for the missing Felt in the castle.]

Don't know if this will be explained on the next episode so read at your own risk.spoiler[-It was revealed that Al is actually a summoned Japanese like Subaru.]
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:03 am Reply with quote
Hardly any of that seems all that important or relevant. Some of it sounds pretty cringeworthy too. Doesn't make much of a difference that those scenes were skipped.

That last one can easily happen later. spoiler[It doesn't make sense for Al to drop a bombshell like that on Subaru and to just completely drop the issue immediately after. It'll probably happen in the anime when it's more relevant.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 73