• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xyz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
They did a good job tightened things up then. I don't really see any importance in the skipped stuff. And the other revelation isn't surprising.
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
Right - unless any of the skips (like, maybe some of the explanation of what Divine Protection means) actually end up being plot points later on, there didn't seem to be anything too major cut out.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm not annoyed with Subaru in this episode, as some people seem to be. Yeah, Emilia told him to stay put, but Subaru knows dang well that he needs to be close to her in case something happens and he needs to time loop. I completely buy his needing to be close to her. As for annoyance with his conversations, i'm not really sure which ones people are referring to. Maybe it's just subjective, but ever since the more poignant moments of the last arc i pretty much forgive any 'lengthy' conversations he has. The snappy banter works for me more often than not.

Calsolum wrote:

I mean has there been any anime series where the relationship between the protagonist and a major character of the opposite sex is not love, hate or indifference(rhetorical question to be honest)?

Back when Kubo still cared about his characters, Ichigo and Rukia from Bleach had a relationship that qualified. I see your point, though; those kind of relationships simply aren't common. I don't think Subaru has a "harem", though; he's consistently and clearly made known, publicly, that he's only interested in Emilia, and while he obviously cares for Rem and Ram, I don't see those becoming romantic relationships.
Mitrospeed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
You have to realize that they have to keep volume 4 ( which is the intro volume ) short so that they can adapt volume 5-9 in a proper pace.

Since volume 4 has mostly irrelevant scenes that rightfully got skipped they can allow themselves to adapt it in 2 episodes.

Really, the only noteworthy scene was spoiler[Al's reveal] and this was shown to be rearranged. They did this with various scenes in arc 2 and it always worked out perfectly fine ( or even better than the LN ) in the end. So no need to throw a tantrum there.

All in all this speed up of the pace is very much needed and it will be apparent very soon why this is a good directive choice.

While I didn't see the animation/art as "subpar" the participation of Nexus might explain any changes compared to other episodes. They did episode 5, 10 and 12 which were mostly build up or bridge episodes, so they should be back to usual with episode 13.

About Subaru's behavior. Let me say it like that. The author has a clear intention and a reason why he lets Subaru act like he does.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't a tantrum or even a complain... xD

Just some stuff i would have liked to see animated even though i completely understand the reasons they left it out. I mean, we all know that Re:Zero will be going to "grim dark" territory, so i wanted a bit more slice of life to enjoy before stuff happens. Well, i know there's more slice of life stuff happening in the future, but yeah, what i wrote was a bit of a "in the moment" kind of thing.
Mitrospeed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
@AksaraKishou Wasn't only directed at you but more at everyone here Smile!

You're reading/watching a story about suffering and struggling against the odds, fun times are over Very Happy!

It's alright. Episode 13 should make this one more bearable Smile
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
a young woman who is supremely full of herself, to the point that she believes that the world is laid out perfectly for her.

I don't have any novel/manga knowledge, but it would not be weird if the world beign laid out for her was the case.
LightYapper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote
While I understand how this episode doesn't sit right with most people here, Re Zero never once pulled its punches when it comes to the actual thing. For one thing Subaru's lengthy speeches never came across me as particularly annoying, or even jarring. (Guess I'm used to his character, huh) Haven't read the novel yet, but I'd heard from a friend that this arc is going to be intense, so I don't know how this set-up episode could've been better. The introduction of new characters remains a minor weakness (they couldn't be more archetypal, IMO), but it'll be exhilarating to see which direction they'd take to develop these characters, after what was done with Rem/Ram.

AksaraKishou, I'm not sure if you've seen that or not, but there is this sequel to Re Zero which features these characters in a more slice-of-life angle. These 3-minute shorts might as well compensate for your desire for more slice-of-life stuff.

@maximilianjenus
The case in itself isn't all that weird, but should they rely on just that to excuse her behavior, I simply can't think of any reasons other than laziness on the writer's part.
Mitrospeed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:06 am Reply with quote
LightYapper wrote:
The introduction of new characters remains a minor weakness (they couldn't be more archetypal, IMO), but it'll be exhilarating to see which direction they'd take to develop these characters, after what was done with Rem/Ram.

Well we saw only about a minute of them ( Priscilla being a bit more ) so we don't know anything about them.

Right now it comes across as Ojou-sama, Tomboy and a demi-human [this is not 4chan], I understand that.

It is good to know that the author actually despises these tropes and turning them around is one of many things he likes to show that they're overdone and plain bad.

I know how these characters develop from the source material so I can't really talk about it because of obvious reasons but note that nothing is as it seems like. If you wish to get a little insight on each character without any large context towards the story then I'd be glad to help you out. Maybe then I'd be clearer what I mean with that.

LightYapper wrote:
The case in itself isn't all that weird, but should they rely on just that to excuse her behavior, I simply can't think of any reasons other than laziness on the writer's part.

When the author something well then it is characterizing and developing his characters, even the smallest of the support characters. It simply takes time; the story is insanely huge in content after all.
LightYapper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
Mitrospeed wrote:
LightYapper wrote:
The introduction of new characters remains a minor weakness (they couldn't be more archetypal, IMO), but it'll be exhilarating to see which direction they'd take to develop these characters, after what was done with Rem/Ram.

Well we saw only about a minute of them ( Priscilla being a bit more ) so we don't know anything about them.

Right now it comes across as Ojou-sama, Tomboy and a demi-human [this is not 4chan], I understand that.

It is good to know that the author actually despises these tropes and turning them around is one of many things he likes to show that they're overdone and plain bad.

I know how these characters develop from the source material so I can't really talk about it because of obvious reasons but note that nothing is as it seems like. If you wish to get a little insight on each character without any large context towards the story then I'd be glad to help you out. Maybe then I'd be clearer what I mean with that.

LightYapper wrote:

When the author something well then it is characterizing and developing his characters, even the smallest of the support characters. It simply takes time; the story is insanely huge in content after all.

Sure, go ahead. Although it's also advisable to put spoiler tags on when posting those, since I have this feeling that their deeper sides might become major plot points for this arc. I'd surely read that sometime sooner or later.

BTW, it's surprising to me that the author hated these archetypes (more so, he'd even admitted that). I hope those hardcore otakus wouldn't just sue him just because of that. Very Happy
Mitrospeed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
LightYapper wrote:

Sure, go ahead. Although it's also advisable to put spoiler tags on when posting those, since I have this feeling that their deeper sides might become major plot points for this arc. I'd surely read that sometime sooner or later.

BTW, it's surprising to me that the author hated these archetypes (more so, he'd even admitted that). I hope those hardcore otakus wouldn't just sue him just because of that. Very Happy

Of course I put them into tags Smile!

Yes Tappei hates the current state of the anime/manga/light novel industry and he actively expresses his disliking. Instead of rambling on and on about that he simply decided to do it better. He is a pretty sarcastic and cynical personality so he doesn't mind baiting his readers into thinking something just to make them eat their words a dozen times over and over.

Alright I'll start

First of there is Priscilla spoiler[She comes across as the Ojou-sama archetype which usually results from a pampered environment. She comes across as a sheltered girl that talks big but when it comes down to business she is a little frightened girl. In reality she comes close to what you could call a Black Widow. She is 19 years old and has been forcefully married 8 times already. Almost all of her husbands have died in mysterious ways. Not only that but after their death Priscilla got the ownership of their land and turned it into a land full of prosperity. This obviously lured more and more men into her web and by doing that over and over she managed to become rich and a noble with a lot of influence. She is also merciless as she has lovers and if they bore her she simply slices them in half. ]

Next is Crusch. spoiler[I think the first things that crossed your mind when you saw her were "Tomboy" "strict military girl". Well in fact she is the exact opposite and she only has a hard shell on the outside. She is a really young widow as she was married to a prince of Lugunica who died out because of the epidemic. This hurt her a lot since it was her sole pillar of support. The thing is she couldn't even grief as her family house forced her into the position she is right now. In order to not get abandoned by what she had left, she had to develop a thick pelt otherwise she would break. Once she is alone and released from her duties her inner self starts to come out. Well she gets major development because of a certain event but that doesn't belong here ]

Ferris. spoiler[Ferris is currently known as a male cat-human that likes to crossdress and who is one of the best magic users in the kingdom. His "trap" like personality and appearance is a result from a traumatic childhood. He basically is the child of an affaire and therefore considered a bastard He also was the only demi-human in his family. He was born at a time when demi-humans were hunted down due to the racial wars so he was eventually pursued by his own family. In order to hide his cat ears and tail he wore girl like cloths and survived by being a male child whore. He left the majority of his past behind when he was found by Crusch and taken in but one thing remained until today. He developed some kind of personal disorientation which makes him keep this female appearance and he coats his fears through an overly extroverted and happy nature, similar to Subaru. He also has a severe view on death. He only feels contempt for people who lost their will to live and rather executes them on the spot than healing them. There is a phrase that says "Ferris water turned into whine" which basically expresses that he killed and not healed someone again.]

Anastasia appears as the cutesy time is money snowflake girl spoiler[ but in reality she is a pretty cold and rational person. She was born in Kararagi, an economic super kingdom where having no connections or company basically means starvation. She was extremely poor and only managed to survive by her own skill in management. She quickly worked her way up in the ranks eventually taking over multiple companies. She is extremely greedy and satisfying it will only result in disappointment and more greed. At this point she can't be calm unless she owns this kingdom and she will do anything to achieve that even trading with slaves. She describes her personality as having none]

Al might be more of a bro character right now and one of the less stereotypical ones but still here. spoiler[Al is actually from Japan just like Subaru. He got summoned to this world 18 years ago and experienced the results of the racial war. He was summoned in Volakia which is an empire where only the physically strong survive. Since he was a mere human from Japan he quickly was overwhelmed and lost an arm and the majority of his face as a result. He also faced one of the archbishops of sins by himself but couldn't kill her despite beheading her and crushing her heart. This experience was so beyond what he could comprehend at that time so he has a severe trauma from this. It's also likely that he also has some sort of looping power that he can't talk about]

So this were some really brief examples and they only depicted the original state of their characters. Of course they all develop majorly throughout these 30+ volumes of content.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I'm not annoyed with Subaru in this episode, as some people seem to be. Yeah, Emilia told him to stay put, but Subaru knows dang well that he needs to be close to her in case something happens and he needs to time loop. I completely buy his needing to be close to her.

I'm more annoyed with Emilia, actually. Subaru has proven time and time again that he is a capable ally, despite his lack of knowledge of this world, fighting or magic. He's willing to learn and is a quick study. He's good at figuring things out and acting quickly for everyone's benefit. Emilia is trying to protect him by keeping him ignorant so he won't get involved, but he is already involved. I'd argue that everyone who lives with Emilia at Roswaal's mansion is involved, and at risk of being caught in the crossfire if and when Emilia is attacked next. Subaru is especially vulnerable because of his power, but even though Emilia can't know that (because he can't tell her, because he's ~threatened~ every time he tries. I still find that plot point a sneaky way to ensure plot complications) she should still realize that keeping Subaru out of the loop will put him in more danger, not less.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:31 am Reply with quote
Don't know if this is considered spoiler since it's the name of the next 5 episodes but i'll put the tag.

spoiler[
Episode 13: Self-proclaimed Knight Natsuki Subaru
Episode 14: A Disease Known as Despair
Episode 15: The Outside of Madness
Episode 16: Pig's Desire
Episode 17: The End of Shame]
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm speechless after watching the newest episode this week.
If this story is going in the direction I hope it's going in, I think we're going to be given quite a... nasty treat to learn more about Subaru that will make him feel less like a self-insert MC and more like his own person.
I don't usually get worked up while watching anime. I might get emotional or sad or frustrated with bad guys who are deviously evil beyond all repair, but for the first time in a long time, I found myself yelling out loud at my screen, something like, spoiler["Subaru, you freaking idiot! Stop it! Just stop it! Don't do it. Don't freaking do it. You're a total FOOL...!"]
And for the first time in a long time, I feel like that's the negative emotional response the author was trying to get out of me. This was a nasty episode. Redemption is going to be a huge key element from this point on, and not just toward the other characters, but toward the audience. Man, oh man, I'm just hoping this series can pull it off...
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I'm speechless after watching the newest episode this week.
If this story is going in the direction I hope it's going in, I think we're going to be given quite a... nasty treat to learn more about Subaru that will make him feel less like a self-insert MC and more like his own person.
I don't usually get worked up while watching anime. I might get emotional or sad or frustrated with bad guys who are deviously evil beyond all repair, but for the first time in a long time, I found myself yelling out loud at my screen, something like, spoiler["Subaru, you freaking idiot! Stop it! Just stop it! Don't do it. Don't freaking do it. You're a total FOOL...!"]
And for the first time in a long time, I feel like that's the negative emotional response the author was trying to get out of me. This was a nasty episode. Redemption is going to be a huge key element from this point on, and not just toward the other characters, but toward the audience. Man, oh man, I'm just hoping this series can pull it off...

yeah i know exactly what youre talking about he did most of the things that generic harem protagonists would do, but was called out for it and it backfired horribly.

I was seriously rooting for him to spoiler[say something to those royal bastards and when he did he just made the situation it was sweet for a moment and when i saw that smirk from Roswaal i thought "yeah he wanted him to do this" but man the aftermath was painful. Even more so that his best chance at explaining why he's so desperate at times is silenced by those damn shadow claws.]

I get the feeling that if he loops again it might be after this episodes outburst or if its before then he'll be scarred and limited in doing what needs to be done out of fear of being treated the way he was.

Oh and seriously are we ever going to see another OP the runtimes on these episodes keep ignoring the OP and going on through the ED but this time i loved the sad music playing during the last scene
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 73