• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

I understand that most of your critics think fanservice shows are trash, but i hope you understand also that this stance are alienating a big part of the anime fandom and that ANN could try to reach that part of anime fans also.

[...]

It would be good if a critic that can understand the place of fanservice in this genre of shows would tell if this is a good fanservice show or a bad fanservice show. But of course if is the thinking of your critics that "Gratuitous fan-service and other pandering tropes are bad writing" then in noting we can do except to looking in another sites for this kind of information.

I must say that that I do not think that you read very many of the reviews here. I certainly do not read all of the reviews here, and yet I can tell you unequivocally that that Theron Martin is a fan of fan service (Is that a punny pun? I guess it is! Laughing ). ANN does have a variety of critics; but it is not ANN's responsibility to identify them for you. The onus is on you to identify them.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:

I understand that most of your critics think fanservice shows are trash, but i hope you understand also that this stance are alienating a big part of the anime fandom and that ANN could try to reach that part of anime fans also.

[...]

It would be good if a critic that can understand the place of fanservice in this genre of shows would tell if this is a good fanservice show or a bad fanservice show. But of course if is the thinking of your critics that "Gratuitous fan-service and other pandering tropes are bad writing" then in noting we can do except to looking in another sites for this kind of information.

I must say that that I do not think that you read very many of the reviews here. I certainly do not read all of the reviews here, and yet I can tell you unequivocally that that Theron Martin is a fan of fan service (Is that a punny pun? I guess it is! Laughing ). ANN does have a variety of critics; but it is not ANN's responsibility to identify them for you. The onus is on you to identify them.

Yhea,you right. I just have read some reviews from him and i can see that there are at least a critic that are making different reviews of fanservice shows than what i usually see in ANN.
I have been clouded by so many negative reviews here that i had quit looking of fanservice show reviews here. Most of reviews i had read just had tell me that because X show have lots of fanservice or is another LN adaptation or is otaku bait and so and because of that is a bad show. But if there is a critic that understands fanservice enough to tell me if that anime is good or bad than i only have to thank ANN and looking for Theron Martin reviews of fanservice shows and for the other critics reviews of the other genres.

Thanks nobahn for the info.
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:39 am Reply with quote
A bit late to this party, but Bamboo Dong would also occasionally have something nice to say about a fanservice show in her Shelf Life column (back when she used to write it). Like Senran Kagura (well... sort of; she didn't think of the fanservice in that show as part of its problems) and High School DxD, which she was largely positive about. Monster Musume is also one of the shows where everyone has been more or less positive about. I don't remember if it was Erin or Bamboo, but Strike Witches were also relatively positively received by one of them in the Shelf Life column.

Might be because over the last couple of years, fanservice vessels have dared to be a bit different about their approaches and more creative about the fanservice. It's a double-edged sword too, because when a show gets creepy about its fanservice, it can really get creepy about it too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8