• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Interview: Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I love Todd's desire to bring up Valkyrie Profile as much as he can.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you've enjoyed Pokémon Rumble World in its free-to-play digital form so much that you must have a physical copy, you'll find it in the 3DS section on April 29. It's a top-view action where the player raises and controls Pokémon in battles...and boosts their powers with Poke Diamonds that you can either earn in the game or buy with real money. I'm sure the parents of Pokémon-adoring kids are just thrilled by that feature.

Uh, you might wanna do some research before posting false information. The physical copy has no microtransactions in it. The game comes fully unlocked (meaning, you get the diamond mine that you have to pay for in the download version).

So either you have the digital version that you pay $30 to fully unlock, or you pay $30 for the physical version that comes pre-unlocked.
LightYapper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:22 am Reply with quote
So, is Valkyrie Anatomia coming out on Android? If it's a mobile phone game, and a prequel at that, its gameplay and quality would be worrying. Still, while I may not necessarily play it, I'll see how it turns out. Also, it's nice to actually see them actually try out something new to attract fans and redeem for their mistakes. Wondering if the end result is actually good, however, after hearing the reaction.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:48 am Reply with quote
Ah, interesting interview. I'm not that across games anymore, so I had not heard about this whole panty "controversy".

Though, this has reminded me...I still have a couple of Star Ocean games to finish. And have been meaning to pick up Neir. Laughing
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quote
LightYapper wrote:
So, is Valkyrie Anatomia coming out on Android? If it's a mobile phone game, and a prequel at that, its gameplay and quality would be worrying.

"A prequel to the original Valkyrie Profile, it's due out on Android and iOS devices in the spring"

^Take a few moments to read the article carefully and you'll get your answers.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
KH91 wrote:

If it doesn't affect the game then why consort with foreigners and cave to their demands thus changing your original vision of the design? It's one thing to edit the overseas version, but you screwed over your countrymen by changing the design on their version as well.

Sigh!!!

Really .. this whole Pantygate thing .. don't you think its all a bit silly? You had to try really hard to manipulate the camera to get a glance of her panties before. They made her panties a bit more "sensible" and I doubt very much it was ANYTHING to do with western sensibilities. Maybe they thought she might be feeling a little cold??

Like he mentions in the article alot of games just render a mysterious dark region if you try the same trick. I know that FF XIV does that, although admittedly you can strip your character down to their (rather sensible) undergarments if you want to!!

It's about the principle moreso than the case. Japanese devs are becoming misinformed that Westerners as a whole are subscribing to neo Puritan, sex-negative values which leads them to do alterations with "the overseas market in mind" (codeword for, "Guys! we need to appease our Western overlords or they will say our country is full of sex deprived weirdos!"). You could argue that this is a slippery slope, but current events in the industry is making the scenario of going back to the 90's localization scene more and more of a reality.

Anyways, it's a bit disheartening that SO5 is getting quite a bit of flak in sites like Amazon JP and such. The SO series usually excels more on the gameplay, but it's not to say the narrative and universe shouldn't have its own interesting twists and turns. The big revelation in the third game did well in throwing everyone else in a loop. I also don't understand the disdain over that as well. Gamers complain that RPG's are becoming cookie cutter, but then when an RPG tries to break the mold a bit, then they whine and moan over the internet that it's "stupid and dumb." Nevermind, JRPG fans, gamers as a whole are an entitled, spoiled bunch who really don't know what they want. Then again, the sky is blue. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Star Ocean 1, 2, 4, and 5 all had an established Japanese artist doing character designs and illustrations for the game.

This piqued my interest. Was the artist for 3 not that well known compared to the other installments?
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

Sigh!!!

Really .. this whole Pantygate thing .. don't you think its all a bit silly? You had to try really hard to manipulate the camera to get a glance of her panties before. They made her panties a bit more "sensible" and I doubt very much it was ANYTHING to do with western sensibilities. Maybe they thought she might be feeling a little cold??

Like he mentions in the article alot of games just render a mysterious dark region if you try the same trick. I know that FF XIV does that, although admittedly you can strip your character down to their (rather sensible) undergarments if you want to!!

As someone who plays FFXIV that's incorrect. The game enables and encourages panty shots what's a wide variety of selections of mini skirts. Unless they somehow coded them to be gone in the American servers (I play on a JP server) they are definitely present. Even on the loli like Lalafell.

Having a black void under skirt is usually an American thing, along with just having floating legs detached from the model. I'm having a hard time I'm thinking of a Japanese game that does that. Tales, Star Ocean, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Neptunia, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, and plenty others fully render panties. Even games that dont let you control the camera render them if you look at the files in a model viewer program.

Which is why I don't think this is a big deal. This seems like an isolated incident rather than a change of things to come, so I wouldn't be worried just yet. The director was just misguided and made a poor decision. There's plenty of other Square Enix games that pretty much give the middle finger to Western sensibilities coming down the pipeline.

-Stuart Smith
MrBonk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And if that game is Horizon: Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, or some other anticipated PlayStation 4 outing, established PlayStation 4 owners won't be happy.

That's only if you assume it wouldn't have ran like shit otherwise if the Neo never existed.

Which just will/won't be true.

There are SO many games on the PS4 that have performance problems and can't even maintain 30FPS properly. That's not going to change.
Quote:
On one hand, you lose a bit of that cinematic feel you get from more traditional JRPGs. On the other hand, it makes it feel like there's more meat to the game; that you spend more time actually playing. What used to be ten hours of pure cutscenes is now ten hours of gameplay

And i'd heavily disagree.

I can understand some scripted events and a mix of them and traditional cutscenes. But all of them being scripted events (Like in a lot of FPS games these days) just drives me crazy.
I prefer cutscenes.
Quote:
Valkyrie Profile 2, however, was more like a traditional RPG, and it wasn't as successful.
I'm sorry WHAT? Shocked VP2 IS A MASTERPIECE.
VP1 is too of course. But seriously, VP2 is just as good if not better IMO!

A good mix of the two would be great for a sequel. fudge that mobile game though. That should be on PSV/3DS too.

Last edited by MrBonk on Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:06 am; edited 2 times in total
MrBonk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:48 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

Sigh!!!

As someone who plays FFXIV that's incorrect. The game enables and encourages panty shots what's a wide variety of selections of mini skirts. Unless they somehow coded them to be gone in the American servers (I play on a JP server) they are definitely present. Even on the loli like Lalafell.

Having a black void under skirt is usually an American thing, along with just having floating legs detached from the model. I'm having a hard time I'm thinking of a Japanese game that does that. Tales, Star Ocean, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Neptunia, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, and plenty others fully render panties. Even games that dont let you control the camera render them if you look at the files in a model viewer program.

Which is why I don't think this is a big deal. This seems like an isolated incident rather than a change of things to come, so I wouldn't be worried just yet. The director was just misguided and made a poor decision. There's plenty of other Square Enix games that pretty much give the middle finger to Western sensibilities coming down the pipeline.

-Stuart Smith

Bravely Second and the first one would like your attention with all of their censored outfits.
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
A have put in a Pre Order for Star Ocean 5, looking forward to playing it.

Always been a big fan of Valkyrie Profile and played/owned all the game. Can't wait for it.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
Quote:
Valkyrie Profile 2, however, was more like a traditional RPG, and it wasn't as successful.
I'm sorry WHAT? 8O VP2 IS A MASTERPIECE.
VP1 is too of course. But seriously, VP2 is just as good if not better IMO!

He said nothing about quality, or saying that VP2 isn't good. He just said that it wasn't as successful.

According to Wikipedia, Valkyrie Profile (PS1) sold 709,000 copies worldwide as of September 2005. Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (PSP) sold 168,515 copies in Japan as of November 2008, and 60,000 copies abroad as of November 2007. So that makes, between the two versions, at least 937,515 copies. Plus, there's the fact that it even got a rerelease.

The only numbers for VP2 on Wikipedia are for end-of-initial-year, at 400k in Japan. However, we do have a direct comparison with VP1 with this. VP1 (PS1) sold 310k copies by the end of 1999.

But wait! you might say. VP2 sold more in its initial calendar year than VP1! Except then you look at release dates. VP2 did sell more, but it was released in June. VP1 wasn't only released in December, it was released on December 22. So in 10 days, it sold almost as much as VP2 did in 6 months. As well, VP1 was an unknown property, in a time where the game industry was much smaller. VP2 had an established fanbase, in a time where the game industry was a lot bigger.

So yes, from a financial standpoint (which is primarily what companies care about), VP2 was not as successful. It says nothing about subjective quality, it's a pure objective fact.

I mean, heck. Batman v Superman is currently sitting at $835.1 million worldwide right now, and Guardians of the Galaxy only had $773.3 million. Doesn't mean BvS is the better movie. Just means it was more successful (in the short term).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote
It's like the Overwatch controversy which went from here (left) to there (right).

J-devs are becoming more aware of the markets abroad since Japan's traditional console industry is getting smaller each year:

• In 2014 the traditional Japanese games market for home and portable consoles sunk to a 24-year low. In 2015 it fell even further, to a 26-year low, putting it on par with the last days of the NES.

Although there’s no data on overall digital sales, physical software sales were down 16 per cent on 2014 and hardware sales were down 8.5 per cent.

There’s no mystery as to what is going on though, as for years now Japan has been dominated by mobile gaming. In 2015 the console market fell 13 per cent to a net value of £1.89 billion but the mobile market was up 18 per cent to a whooping £4.0 billion.

Which given Japan used to be considered the spiritual home of console gaming is pretty upsetting, especially if you don’t like mobile gaming. But certainly explains why companies like Konami are all but abandoning the industry.

Though the issues with Star Ocean 5 are actually more serious with stripped down content and gameplay:
'Star Ocean 5' Shows Off Its Battle System But Japanese Fans Aren't Happy

Anyways, a couple more interesting news that pop up recently:

Rumor: PS Vita May Have Stopped Selling In The Netherlands (Beginning of the end?)

Microsoft is stopping production of the Xbox 360
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2