• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
I'm very surprised not everyone is on board with this anime. Confused

Well, I was definitely enjoying the ride for the first 3 episodes. As Jake stated this is a big action summer blockbuster type and usually you just check your brain at the door. However, last 3 episodes there's been enough annoying stuff (for me) that its breaking some of the immersion which makes it hard to sit back and go with the flow. Like I said in my previous post I still had fun with this episode, but I was also annoyed and while the characters are fairly shallow I do like Ikoma (wish he screamed a tad bit less tho) and Mumei. So, yeah they are doing somethings right, and depending on your tastes your level of enjoyment may vary--mine started high and is now medium yet for others it maybe low or hate watch levels.

jroa wrote:
To be fair, Attack on Titan has the (rather doubled-edged) benefit of being based on an ongoing manga that will need more than 50 episodes to be fully adapted. Kabaneri, as far as we know, will only have 11 or 12 episodes. Even if they completely understood what you're describing here, they don't really have the same kind of luxury in terms of time and pacing (which, on the other hand, also avoids one of the most common complaints raised against the Attack on Titan anime, so there's a good side and a bad side to it).

As far as I see it Kanaberi has the advantage of being original and not tied to a manga. They don't have to try to squeeze hundreds of chapters in a 12 episode show or worry about ticking off fans because its not an exact replica of the manga/LN/game etc. The producers of this show can decide on the pace they want and make it fit fine into 12 episodes. Now they might have limited their ability to have anything but a breakneck pace because the scope they chose maybe a tad large (large cast, epic conditions). But that was a choice they made and had control over. Its not like they were at the mercy of the source material. There's still ways of changing things up if necessary at this point, so it will be interesting to see if they are going to try to maintain their sprint to the finish line or do a little something different.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:29 am Reply with quote
To me, it feels like one of the show's biggest drawback are its timeslot, or more precisely its runtime. It feels like the plot is, at times, jumping ahead and the audience is suppose to roll with it. Now, at others wrote, it's that kind of show, but I think if the plot was to slow down a bit, it would be beneficial to the show.
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
Some of the comments here...Lol.
Reviewer gives a bad score to a popular show - "You are pretentious hipster and you don't even like anime"
Reviewer gives a good score to a popular show - " "A"? How? This wrong and that wrong and this doesn't make any sense etc"
Oh the ancient curse of criticism Very Happy
Just to be clear... Objective analysis of any art form is an *almost* impossible task. Everything is subjective.
In the end of the day reviews are just well written personal opinions from someone who has experience, knowledge and good grasp on the object of criticism. They are supposed to be taken as a supplement to your own point of view. You have a right to disagree, but that alone does not make review or reviewer bad. Soapboxing won't do much, sorry.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
While I agree that A+ is a bit high (I'd give it more like an A-) I overall agree, it's just trying to be a dumb action rollercoaster and that's what it is. I could totally see myself watching a riff version of this show later on, enjoying the dumb sequence with a good commentator while enjoying the action set piece for what they are.

I do wonder what Jacob think of the movie "armageddon", which is my go to example of dumb but enjoyable action movie.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
I love action schlock,but I've honestly seen better when it comes to this. The big issues are the characters if you ask me. The only one who has some depth is Mumei.Ikoma is just generic action-man who yells a lot and wants to kill all the kabane due to his cliched back story. Then the support characters who are all one-note like the generic samurai-man or the walking cliche that is Ayame. It's also spending way too much time on this story-arc if them getting to this stronghold; take another action show like Black Lagoon,with one it's strengths being the variety of story arc's which keep it from getting boring.

It's not a terrible show,but it's mostly getting by due to the production values (even that's been taking a hit recently). It's not something I see myself revisiting in the future.

Last edited by Themaster20000 on Sun May 22, 2016 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
mooneater

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

As far as I see it Kanaberi has the advantage of being original and not tied to a manga. They don't have to try to squeeze hundreds of chapters in a 12 episode show or worry about ticking off fans because its not an exact replica of the manga/LN/game etc. The producers of this show can decide on the pace they want and make it fit fine into 12 episodes. Now they might have limited their ability to have anything but a breakneck pace because the scope they chose maybe a tad large (large cast, epic conditions). But that was a choice they made and had control over. Its not like they were at the mercy of the source material. There's still ways of changing things up if necessary at this point, so it will be interesting to see if they are going to try to maintain their sprint to the finish line or do a little something different.

I think in general what you say is making sense, but not in SnK case. That anime really lived up to the manga hype. Even before the release of anime all i've heard was how great this anime is going to be, how great the story is, how many plot twists it has and how many great characters it has. The anime covered nearly none of them! We had nearly no character development in the anime, only a lil bit of plot twist and the pacing was way off, But because Snk lived up to the hype of the manga it received a great reception. SnK had great music and good animation, but so does KnK. i remember after the 1st two episodes of KnK people were already nagging about how shallow the characters are and how generic the show is. For a 12-episode action show KnK is doing great. Each episode we get a fairly good amount of action and character development.

I think the main problem for this show, as many mentioned before, is that people will always hold it up against SnK and although in my idea the KnK done a much better job as an anime, it will lose against the hype of SnK manga.

Last edited by mooneater on Sun May 22, 2016 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
VanillaWaffer6

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:07 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
I'm very surprised not everyone is on board with this anime. Confused

Really? You're surprised that people aren't on board with an anime from the same idiots that gave us Guilty Crown which carries exact same problems no less? Are you just turning a blind eye to its apparent flaws like Jacob has been doing for six episodes straight?

JesuOtaku wrote:
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress gets A's from me over and over because it's an excellent version of what it's trying to be: a big crazy action blockbuster. Its character writing isn't mature or complex by any stretch of the imagination, but it is perfectly suited to the kind of story it's trying to tell: likable heroes and heroines with consistent motivations and personalities is kinda all you need, and Kabaneri has delivered on that very well. Not everything has to be sculpted for a specific subset of otaku who take themselves super seriously.

How many times are you gonna use this excuse? This show is incredibly lacking bombasticity and its action set pieces isn't as "crazy" as you're trying to pretend it is given the amount of stills and speedlines used at every damn corner and the cast can pretty much be defined from just looking at them. So its not particularly well animated, not really exciting or unpredictable so its just a dumb bland show from the team that does nothing but dumb bland shows. its blockbuster equivalent is every Terminator film after Judgement Day and much like those films will be forgotten after this season.

JesuOtaku wrote:

I don't think this opinion is all that outlandish either, because Kabaneri has also been the #1 show on our user rankings every week since it started, which are calculated using hundreds and hundreds of votes, and are not weighted in any way by a show's popularity. This means that more popular shows like Kabaneri could have more difficulty achieving superlative averages, because they have more people voting on them. Despite being one of the most-voted-on shows along with My Hero Academia, Kabaneri is still the #1 highest rated show in a season with much higher average ratings across the board than normal. So it's doing something very right, even if that something seems "too stupid" to you, and I don't think giving it A's for its consistently exceptional entertainment value is unreasonable.

Really? User rankings has no barrings on actual quality and given how nobody watches everything per season its best to believe people just saw "From the director and studio behind Attack On Titan" and made up that they were gonna like this show regardless of how it turned out, why do you think Gintama was ranked 1# for several consecutive seasons only losing out to One Punch Man, another overhyped but nowhere near as poorly made show , in fall? Because that was the only show they watched and either out of blind loyalty or could never be critical of it and instead gave it high marks out of habit even at its worst. So if something like Kabaneri can get #1 in anything this season must be really lackluster or they're pretty much ignoring everything coming out. All the more surprising is that something like Rakugo beat out overhyped garbage like ERASED last season in user rankings but even if Kabaneri "drops the ball" in the second half it probably won't drop anyways.
VanillaWaffer6

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
LightYapper wrote:
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
These are really bad "reviews" even by Hope Chapman standards. Just like really bad prose and a whole lot of posturing. Anyway it's clear this show is being carried entirely by the popularity of Mumei's character design so there's not much to really discuss besides all the expected zany action and right on cue every time OST moments. It's just kind of a meh seasonal blockbuster show so far, I really wouldn't give it much more than a B- max for some of the flashier episodes and that's entirely awarded to the animation team. The writing and characterization teams and frankly everyone else gets the expected C-/D+. It's a shame too because the people that put the most effort into this probably stand to make the least money from it, but the anime industry is just kind of shitty that way so also no surprise.

xyz wrote:
The funniest part is this show consistently gets A/A+ grading. Laughing

Yeah there's kind of a reason I take Hope Chapman and Nick Creamer reviews with a certain grain of salt. Their reviews often seem to occupy the extreme ends of the spectrum although Nick is a little better overall in that he has less of a tendency to try to pick fights with users over things and just roll with the punches when people disagree with or criticize him.

If you personally think so, that merely means that your tastes are just not in line with either of these reviewers. While I personally don't think that Kabaneri deserves that kind of ratings, that simply shows how much enjoyment Jacob gets from the shows ( he did point out at some point that he loves these kinds of anime). You are fine to disagree with it, but don't just proclaim that the reviews are 'bad' because they don't come out as you expected.

I do agree that Nick can sometimes be extreme in terms of ratings, particularly those SAO episode reviews, but I'm fine with it, if that's what he really thinks. For different episodes, even in a similar show, the enjoyment level can also differ. At least he doesn't make any lax remarks that a show will keep being this way or that, even if an episode messes up or something.

Anyone's reviews will be disagreed upon because of how varied everyone is, so if the reviews here don't work for you, look somewhere else.

The thing with Nick is that his ratings usually always align with the comments even if they are "harsh". A lot of people trashed the same episodes he trashed and The Lost Village is the only time he's been challenged by his views (Yes a lot of people didn't like the twist in Erased either and it definitely hurt its reception) in regards to his "bias" on episode reviews when its been said countless of times that the show is not for everyone and given people here can't laugh at something unless they believe it to be parodic in nature (Samurai Flamenco) its not a surprise that it goes over most people's heads. Here Jacob is praising a show on marks that doesn't exist so he comes off as bias especially when the comments don't align with his views

Quote:
Why are you giving a show that fails at tension and who's cast repeat the same thing every episode?
Because its a dumb crazy action blockbuster

And repeat. I guess the main villain needs to be a Kabaneri made with the body of several Kabaneris with 9 brains to get Jacob to give an episode a D-. Rolling Eyes
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
My main issue here is that the reviewer is refusing to acknowledge the blatant flaws for the past 6 episodes just because of the pretty colors and "muh epic direction". Just go and look at his review of episode 4.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
As my years on internet progress, I grow more and more amused by people just not willing to accept their POV is an opinion. People just have to make sure their opinion feels more "legitimate" compared to others by presenting it like a fact. Laughing

"Bias", "apparent flaws", "blatant flaws"

Laughing

I find Kabaneri solid for it's action and characters and I *personally* just don't care about the stupid stuff. Who knows, maybe someone out there doesn't think it has stupid elements at all? People are allowed to have their opinions.
VanillaWaffer6

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Pipoko wrote:
As my years on internet progress, I grow more and more amused by people just not willing to accept their POV is an opinion. People just have to make sure their opinion feels more "legitimate" compared to others by presenting it like a fact. Laughing

"Bias", "apparent flaws", "blatant flaws"

Laughing

I find Kabaneri solid for it's action and characters and I *personally* just don't care about the stupid stuff. Who knows, maybe someone out there doesn't think it has stupid elements at all? People are allowed to have their opinions.

Yes its easy to say anything is solid nowadays without explaining why and you can purposely ignore any case of stupidity or bad writing in anything if you like it since Jacob does it all the time just don't expect people to take you seriously or think you're making a valid point.
jroa

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
VanillaWaffer6 wrote:
Really? You're surprised that people aren't on board with an anime from the same idiots that gave us Guilty Crown which carries exact same problems no less?

Considering it's been a very different show so far, I would strongly disagree with your claim (which isn't much of an actual argument either, since you've provided no reasoning) that they have the "exact same problems" in any remotely meaningful sense. I don't think that statement holds up to any scrutiny. In fact, I couldn't stand Guilty Crown at all and didn't have that reaction to Kabaneri. Nor does your mix of anger and frustration seem to be the general opinion about the show at this point in time.
VanillaWaffer6

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
VanillaWaffer6 wrote:
Really? You're surprised that people aren't on board with an anime from the same idiots that gave us Guilty Crown which carries exact same problems no less?

Considering it's been a very different show so far, I would strongly disagree with your claim (which isn't much of an actual argument either, since you've provided no reasoning) that they have the "exact same problems" in any remotely meaningful sense. I don't think that statement holds up to any scrutiny. In fact, I couldn't stand Guilty Crown at all and didn't have that reaction to Kabaneri. Nor does your mix of anger and frustration seem to be the general opinion about the show at this point in time.

Both shows are made with an assortment of tropes that are popular to otaku to the point where they have no identity of their own. Both shows carry the same "humanity is shit" mentality that ironically led both down the survival of the fittest route. MC's current state is due to a traumatizing event involving a person that came back in the present if they show didn't tack this on as hard as it did. Both show's have terribly directed action scenes and scores. Of course you don't think it holds up to any scrutiny, you like this crap so you're gonna ignore any similarities both shows have despite the fact that it has the same director and writer on board just as Jacob ignores its many flaws in the guise of "its a crazy action blockbuster" doesn't make your opinion any valid from others. Yeah because you say so right? Because you've read everyone's opinions on this show on the internet right? Rolling Eyes
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
he comes off as bias

Quote:
you like this crap so you're gonna ignore any similarities both shows have despite the fact that it has the same director and writer on board

Quote:
You're surprised that people aren't on board with an anime from the same idiots that gave us Guilty Crown which carries exact same problems no less?

Bias you say? I don't think that it's Jacob who's got bias here Very Happy
Quote:
The thing with Nick is that his ratings usually always align with the comments even if they are "harsh"

So you think the job of reviewers is to validate or reflect opinions of masses? What??? xD
Quote:
How many times are you gonna use this excuse? This show is incredibly lacking bombasticity and its action set pieces isn't as "crazy" as you're trying to pretend

Quote:
ignore any case of stupidity or bad writing

So.... What is your criticism exactly? Is it not bombastic enough? Is it bad writing? All of it? You've been talking a lot about reviews, but not about your opinions on the show. Be specific.
I don't really understand what exactly are you trying to achieve with these comments and you are not showing any "harsh objectivity" yourself. It's all just salt and non-content statements with no examples. What is your proposal for solution of this "problem"?
And you can stop soapboxing about Jacob ignoring flaws of the show. We get it Rolling Eyes
HarriedHarriet

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
VanillaWaffer6 wrote:

Yes its easy to say anything is solid nowadays without explaining why and you can purposely ignore any case of stupidity or bad writing in anything if you like it since Jacob does it all the time just don't expect people to take you seriously or think you're making a valid point.

And "woosh" goes Pipoko's point over your head. What you said still isn't fact, it's an opinion. Some people will agree with Jacob's reviews of the show, some won't, and some will be immature asshats and go out of their way to misgender him. That's just how it goes. But why make such a huge deal out of Jacob not picking a show you don't like to pieces then? Where is the harm in it exactly?

So then, let's look at this in a different way. Is Jacob hurting anyone by having such a glowing opinion of this show? Is he going full on fanboy and shouting down anyone who dares to not have his same opinion? Is he defending bigoted things in the show and acting like it's ok just because this show's doing it? Is he personally insulting people with his review? As far as I know, he hasn't done any of these things. So then, why are his overly positive reviews a problem beyond it just not agreeing with your own opinion? Because otherwise it just comes off as you throwing a fit because someone doesn't agree with you on something.

Look, for the most part I'm not that interested in this show, mostly because survival horror-y stuff like Attack on Titan isn't usually my thing. But you don't see me screaming about how horrible it is that Jacob dared to give the show positive reviews just because the show doesn't align with my interests. You're not adding anything constructive or valuable by stomping your feet over Jacob being too positive about a thing. And unless you can name a way in which he is being sincerely harmful to anyone by doing so, I will continue to fail to see why there's any point in complaining so much about this.

Edit: took way too long to post this, oops. Edited so it's actually clear who I'm addressing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 20