• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
This person just signed up to enlighten us with a free class of criticism. For someone with less than 10 posts, they either have been lurking a lot to know how the reviewers usually write, or made a new account because reasons.

I wouldn't bother with them.
VanillaWaffer6

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
VoidWitch wrote:

Bias you say? I don't think that it's Jacob who's got bias here Very Happy

So you're saying Guilty Crown was good then? Gotcha.

Quote:
So you think the job of reviewers is to validate or reflect opinions of masses? What??? xD

Said nothing of the sort. Try re-reading it next time before posting]
Quote:
So.... What is your criticism exactly? Is it not bombastic enough? Is it bad writing? All of it? You've been talking a lot about reviews, but not about your opinions on the show. Be specific.

Actually all that was in regards to show, all you're doing is being purposely obtuse with it. Try harder next time,
Quote:
I don't really understand what exactly are you trying to achieve with these comments and you are not showing any "harsh objectivity" yourself. It's all just salt and non-content statements with no examples. What is your proposal for solution of this "problem"?
And you can stop soapboxing about Jacob ignoring flaws of the show. We get it Rolling Eyes

I love how anytime someone has negative to say about a show the response from fans is that they're "salty" or that they're "haters" since the majority has something to say about a show no other opinion matters. I'm not even sure what was the point of this point other than to show your profound butthurt.
VanillaWaffer6

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
HarriedHarriet wrote:

And "woosh" goes Pipoko's point over your head. What you said still isn't fact, it's an opinion. Some people will agree with Jacob's reviews of the show, some won't, and some will be immature asshats and go out of their way to misgender him. That's just how it goes. But why make such a huge deal out of Jacob not picking a show you don't like to pieces then? Where is the harm in it exactly?

Because you can apply that same logic to all shows even Big Order, its easy to say something is good without explaining why or ignore all its faults altogether but then your "criticism" is no different from a YouTube comment.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
VanillaWaffer6 wrote:
Pipoko wrote:
As my years on internet progress, I grow more and more amused by people just not willing to accept their POV is an opinion. People just have to make sure their opinion feels more "legitimate" compared to others by presenting it like a fact. Laughing

"Bias", "apparent flaws", "blatant flaws"

Laughing

I find Kabaneri solid for it's action and characters and I *personally* just don't care about the stupid stuff. Who knows, maybe someone out there doesn't think it has stupid elements at all? People are allowed to have their opinions.

Yes its easy to say anything is solid nowadays without explaining why and you can purposely ignore any case of stupidity or bad writing in anything if you like it since Jacob does it all the time just don't expect people to take you seriously or think you're making a valid point.

If you feel the review isn't clear/detailed enough in it's reasonings, that's another matter entirely, isn't it? Still not an excuse to present your opinion as fact.

I feel like a person is allowed to have their opinion no matter how "shallow" it seems. It doesn't make it any less legit. Personally I feel like the reviews have gone rather in-depth in terms of characters and themes and why the reviewer likes them and aren't just generic gushing, but I guess that's also a matter of interpertation.

I feel like this guy might just be a troll, but I still could explain my views in detail actually, just to bring this place back on topic.

I like Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress for the characters, themes and animation.

I find Ikoma and Mumei to be likeable leads - Mumei is my favorite character, but Ikoma is the more unique character - he's a combination of the nerd/intelligent hero and the action hero. He's also not perfect - instead of going out brave and screaming, he falls down and weeps. Instead of taking care of all the enemies to valiantly protect Mumei he says he's weak, but he will keep fighting. He's a planner as well as action-taker. I think that's unique and interesting.

Mumei is a female character with complexity - her "arrogance" is stemmed from the desire to remain useful, for her life to remain meaningful in the world of "strong live, weak die"; to remain useful for her brother. She's grown to see the world that way and so have many others around Mumei, but Ikoma proves this is wrong, and this is where the themes come in. I think it's a powerful statement the series has: the value of your life does not depend on your achievements. Everyone deserves a second chance and everyone's lives have value even if they're weak. It's a very powerful statement in my eyes.

The beautiful action scenes are just the icing on the cake. What's important to me is entirely divorced from the plot or some of the dumb scenes. I just don't care. You obviously do, though. So we probably disagree.

Last edited by Pipoko on Sun May 22, 2016 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
VanillaWaffer6 wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
I'm very surprised not everyone is on board with this anime. Confused

Really? You're surprised that people aren't on board with an anime from the same idiots that gave us Guilty Crown which carries exact same problems no less? Are you just turning a blind eye to its apparent flaws like Jacob has been doing for six episodes straight?

Guilty Crown started out alright until the second half. After that, it went straight to shit and I haven't watched it since. I didn't even bother watching the dub, that's how bad I thought it was. Evil or Very Mad
jroa

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote
VanillaWaffer6 wrote:

Both shows are made with an assortment of tropes that are popular to otaku to the point where they have no identity of their own.

I am impressed. You couldn't have come up with a more vague and unspecific description that could be applied to almost any other popular show that appeals to a modern otaku audience, regardless of their quality or content, at least as long as someone doesn't like it.

Quote:
Both shows carry the same "humanity is shit" mentality that ironically led both down the survival of the fittest route.

Except that Kabaneri has its own protagonist essentially reject the "survival of the fittest" ideology and recent events in the show have also contributed to painting this mindset as questionable. Which is very different from what happened in Guilty Crown.

Quote:
MC's current state is due to a traumatizing event involving a person that came back in the present if they show didn't tack this on as hard as it did.

This is mostly unconfirmed speculation on your part. Not to mention it also hasn't affected the protagonist in such a direct manner, nor are the two situations comparable, so your description is quite inaccurate.

Quote:
Both show's have terribly directed action scenes and scores.

Yet another vague and unspecific criticism. I will admit, however, that the score doesn't always work for me. But I don't think it's univerally "terrible" either. Taste in music is incredibly subjective.

Quote:
Of course you don't think it holds up to any scrutiny, you like this crap so you're gonna ignore any similarities both shows have

Okay, I feel like there's not much to gain from continuing this exchange. Razz

Last edited by jroa on Sun May 22, 2016 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So you're saying Guilty Crown was good then? Gotcha.

"Said nothing of the sort. Try re-reading it next time before posting]" Very Happy
Quote:
I love how anytime someone has negative to say about a show the response from fans is that they're "salty" or that they're "haters" since the majority has something to say about a show no other opinion matters. I'm not even sure what was the point of this point other than to show your profound butthurt.

Amazing Very Happy I'm asking you what exactly are you trying to achieve? I'm interested. Are you making negative comments for the sake of making negative comments? I mean... ok. You do you Wink
Quote:
Because you can apply that same logic to all shows even Big Order, its easy to say something is good without explaining why or ignore all its faults altogether but then your "criticism" is no different from a YouTube comment.

Oh! So you do make salty comments for the sake of it! Well... Good luck then!
Quote:
I wouldn't bother with them.

Not making the same mistake twice. I'm out! Cool
Pipoko

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Sigh. Expects detailed criticism when the person's own is really vague, as well.

Suzuki appreciation post, though. His Engrish is a lot of fun (actually American English).
VanillaWaffer6

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Pipoko wrote:

I like Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress for the characters, themes and animation.

I find Ikoma and Mumei to be likeable leads - Mumei is my favorite character, but Ikoma is the more unique character - he's a combination of the nerd/intelligent hero and the action hero. He's also not perfect - instead of going out brave and screaming, he falls down and weeps. Instead of taking care of all the enemies to valiantly protect Mumei he says he's weak, but he will keep fighting. He's a planner as well as action-taker. I think that's unique and interesting.

A guy says one thing anyone with common sense and he's labeled an "intelligent hero" despite not doing anything remotely intelligent and none of that is remotely unique given we have another protagnist from a different show this season who does the exact same thing but you wouldn't know that would you?

Quote:
Mumei is a female character with complexity - her "arrogance" is stemmed from the desire to remain useful, for her life to remain meaningful in the world of "strong live, weak die"; to remain useful for her brother. She's grown to see the world that way and so have many others around Mumei, but Ikoma proves this is wrong, and this is where the themes come in. I think it's a powerful statement the series has: the value of your life does not depend on your achievements. Everyone deserves a second chance and everyone's lives have value even if they're weak. It's a very powerful statement in my eyes.

Her "complexity" is spelled out to you in one episode doesn't excuse her terrible personality and outside that she winds up being the generic action girl with no other notable traits other than to look cool even if the show's idea of humbling her is taking her down a peg.
Quote:

The beautiful action scenes are just the icing on the cake. What's important to me is entirely divorced from the plot or some of the dumb scenes. I just don't care. You obviously do, though. So we probably disagree.

Yeah..beautiful
https://data.desustorage.org/a/image/1461/77/1461778731988.webm
https://data.desustorage.org/a/image/1462/50/1462503643305.webm
https://data.desustorage.org/a/image/1463/07/1463076140217.webm
https://data.desustorage.org/a/image/1463/07/1463076272575.webm
Galap

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Sure, you can specifically select for moments that don't look particularly interesting. You can do that for literally any anime though. There are a lot of moments that do look really cool to me, though.

Plus, your second and fourth ones I do think look very interesting. Especially the last one. Actually I think the cut where mumei emerges from the smoke is my favorite thing visually in the series so far.

edit: OK, just saw the last post concurrent with mine. Everyone take this discussion down a notch.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I odn't know which was my favorite scene, ikoma making munmei suck on hsi fluids or munmei flying on her 3d maneuver gear; I will wiat for a certain site to provie me with gifs to decide.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
VanillaWaffer6 wrote:
A guy says one thing anyone with common sense and he's labeled an "intelligent hero" despite not doing anything remotely intelligent and none of that is remotely unique given we have another protagnist from a different show this season who does the exact same thing but you wouldn't know that would you?

I don't know about that. From the beginning Ikoma is shown as thinking differently from everyone else. He collects body parts of the Kabane in order to study them, something that others think is strange and suspicious. He invents superior weapons and devises a way to keep himself from turning into a Kabane. All these things have him fall into the "intelligent" character archetype. It doesn't mean that its been particularly deep or nuanced, but again the genre is an action based one where you don't often get more than this and sometimes even less. On that basis he's not too bad and obviously for some people he's likeable (unlike Guilty Crown). Hey, at least he's not in some corner muttering to himself over and over "I mustn't run away, I mustn't run away (whimper, whimper)". jk Laughing
LightYapper

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
So am I missing some points here? It looks like everyone is getting enthusiastic in comparing between Kabaneri and Guilty Crown. They may be of the same director, and both use the apocalyptic world building, but they really are nothing of the same sort. Kabaneri can be ridiculous, but at least it does have something to say, much unlike GC.

@VoidWitch
So I'm thinking here: why are you even joining the discussion? You hopped in put of nowhere, and then just flee when things don't look good for you. You do make salty comments, but that's mostly because that show is really bad.

So to me, Ikoma is a nerd who's desperately trying to survive in a world resided by Kabane. Which is the core reason he went to research the Kabane so he can figure out a way to bring them down, and succeeded. He can get agitated at times, but that's far more believable than GC's kind of hot-headedness.(At least he doesn't say stuff like he must save everyone.)

And to those who still argue that Jacob's review is biased, let me ask you this. How can a subjective review possibly not be biased at some point?[/b]
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Alright folks Galap said take a down a notch so that means everyone be civil. That does not mean respond to the obvious troll with more flamebait of your own and perpetuate the problem. Those posts after Galap's warning were removed. The troll will also not be responding to anyone anytime soon so don't even bother responding to him at all. Thank you.
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:

I don't exactly agree with the apparent implication that this is somehow a result of any "dishonesty" though. In short, Lost Village and Kabaneri are not equivalent series. Big Order is also very different and arguably the most thoroughly flawed of them all, so that's also not interchangeable. <snip>

Yea you'll get no arguments from me here. I was rather just trying to pick the brain of what was revealed to be a troll and/or simply a bored, unhappy individual.

I guess the only other point I wanted to make, but didn't make previously, was that episode ratings are going to vary from week to week based more on show consistency than anything else. If a show makes a good first impression and remains of consistent quality from week to week, yea I don't see why it's a problem if something gets As every week? I have my issues with Kabaneri, but outside of some minor dips in animation quality, it's remained one of the most consistent shows of the season. I came here for zombies and trains and shouting and action? Yep, I'm pretty much getting that every week. If I didn't like that to begin with, I would have bailed on the show and Jacob's reviews a while back.

Meanwhile, it's not shocking that episode ratings fluctuate more on "episodic" series, where themes/tone/etc (and sometimes creative staff, as was the case with Space Dandy) vary wildly from week to week. Joker Game comes to mind, as another Jacob-reviewed series with more variety in grading. You also get series where one episode is just garbage, or when the entire series goes off the rails (see Nick's reviews of ERASED). Conversely, ReZero has gotten better over the weeks, and it's reflected in Theron's grading. Although frankly, I think he was too kind in his grading to begin with (Bs), but I'm not gonna go bitch about it, 'cause that's his opinion.

So yea, to bring it full circle, I agree there was too much vitriol going on here. Glad the mods dealt with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 20