• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Merida wrote:
There's an overaching plot? Shocked

Inasmuch as a series like this can have one. "Overarching plot" and "central conflict" are often used interchangeably (especially in relation to anime), so I think it's fair to call the Fukase conflict this show's overarching plot. Look at Gintama. Many people view the Takasugi/Utsuro/Joi War stuff as that series' overarching plot, but technically, this isn't correct if we're going off the literal definition of the term.

But Sakamoto doesn't have any kind of personal connection with Fukase as far as we know and the "history" they share can barely be called that. I'd be more likely to agree if he'd always pulled the strings in the background as the deliquent's uber-boss, but there's no indication for this.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I get what you're saying, but he's still the closest thing this show has to a central antagonist or string-puller, so I'm cool with Amy's use of "overarching plot" as it pertains to this particular series. And yes - I think the term would be more applicable (but still technically incorrect) if Fukase met the criteria you laid out.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
at least we will learn if sakamoto is either a robot or an alien.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:31 am Reply with quote
Have you read the theory that this whole story is really about (seriously, major spoiler to read after watching the last episode) spoiler[ how Sakamoto is dying and he chooses to live life to the fullest he can in his last year? Watch the last episode with that in mind and you can see him explaining his philosophy that led to everything in the past chapters. This seems to me entirely plausible:

His talk at the graduation, his talk with Fukase, his outlandish excuse for leaving that's clearly a lie, his talk with Hayabusa hinting that he spent a lot of time in the nurses office, the look on his face when he says farewell to his friends, the mask covering it as the thing we see of him.

One thing you won't see in the anime is the cover picture for the last chapter of the manga:

http://i63.tinypic.com/33mrbbb.jpg

I think his classmates know it too and are trying to send him off with a smile.

This makes this story so heartwrenching at the end. Anime cry ]
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:45 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Have you read the theory that this whole story is really about...

While this theory has a certain appeal, it still leaves a lot unexplained, for example spoiler[ how Sakamoto seems to have remarkable physical abilities for a dying guy (or any regular human being, really...)], so i'm sticking with my theory that he's really an alien on a secret mission...or an extremely advanced new android model. Wink

Well, whoever or whatever he might be, i'm gonna miss Sakamoto-kun. Sad
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:20 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
sunflower wrote:
Have you read the theory that this whole story is really about...

While this theory has a certain appeal, it still leaves a lot unexplained, for example spoiler[ how Sakamoto seems to have remarkable physical abilities for a dying guy (or any regular human being, really...)], so i'm sticking with my theory that he's really an alien on a secret mission...or an extremely advanced new android model. Wink

Well, whoever or whatever he might be, i'm gonna miss Sakamoto-kun. Sad

It's explained byspoiler[ him having such a will to go forward he branches off into unexpected area of expertise and talent, one of the things he talks about in his graduating address.]

I'll certainly miss him too.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
This theory makes a disturbing amount of sense, especially when you consider the final exchange with Hayabusa. As Merida pointed out, spoiler[an actual dying person probably wouldn't possess such amazing physical prowess], but after seeing spoiler[the final chapter's title page], I feel very conflicted. If Sakamoto had spent most of his youth spoiler[in the hospital], this would certainly explain why no one had heard of him before he entered high school. (Granted there are plenty of other explanations for this.) I wouldn't say I'm completely sold on the aforementioned theory, but I'm kind of leaning in that direction - and am now very, very depressed.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
If Sakamoto had spent most of his youth spoiler[in the hospital], this would certainly explain why no one had heard of him before he entered high school. (Granted there are plenty of other explanations for this.) I wouldn't say I'm completely sold on the aforementioned theory, but I'm kind of leaning in that direction - and am now very, very depressed.

And why he'd never been out in the snow. Going back and reading the last volume there are other odd points that make sense from this perspective. But, it could all be a massive case of coincidence and fan theory.

EDIT: Ack, I found this on reddit, the whole first thread addresses it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/4qvvm3/spoilers_sakamoto_desu_ga_episode_12_discussion/
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:44 am Reply with quote
I agree that Acchan's sudden turn was a bit too over-the-top to be believable. As the most malleable member of Sakamoto's rogues gallery, it makes sense for him to be used as a patsy, but I have a hard time buying that he'd actually want to brutally beat - or possibly kill - Sakamoto."I have to finish him off while I'm still temporarily insane!" And forget his peers - I'm surprised the teachers were willing to overlook Kakuta having a bat swung at him.

Are cream pie fights a common part of the Japanese high school experience - or did Nami Sano and Jin Kobayashi just happen to have the same idea?

If the "terminally ill Sakamoto" theory holds water, I know of at least one friend he'll be making in the hereafter...

zztop

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
Wasn't there supposed to have been another finale episode? I think an ANN article mentioned that finale couldn't be aired in Japan because one TV slot was taken up by coverage of that big earthquake in Kumamoto last April.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Wasn't there supposed to have been another finale episode? I think an ANN article mentioned that finale couldn't be aired in Japan because one TV slot was taken up by coverage of that big earthquake in Kumamoto last April.

Yep - an anime-original episode that's presumably set before the manga's conclusion. It's going to be included as an OVA on the final BD/DVD.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I still think he's an alien, or possibly a human chosen by aliens and gifted with enhanced abilities to further human colonization of Mars since they know Earth is doomed. Didn't he say that's why he wanted to go to Mars? (not sure, not looking it up) Or he's an angel. Smile

The manga cover is interesting, but it looks to me like he's been living in that mop closet this whole time. He's installed a towel rack and hooks to hang things. His graduation speech was his summary about what he's learned from observing humans. Leaping into the sea to find new continents equals leaping into the ocean of stars to find new planets.

Why does he have his fingers crossed when he waves goodbye to his friends? That was even highlighted in the manga. "Check, please"?

Anyway, I just hope he remembered to say goodbye to the sparrows before he left.

Another alternative theory (that isn't sad): I was just remembering Sakamoto depicted as Venus/Aphrodite rising from the sea. Among Venus's sacred animals are sparrows and horses (what did he use to disguise himself in the festival ep?). Maybe he's a child of Venus - and that's why he wants so badly to go see Mars. Wink
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I thought the gyroscope thing was a bit much, personally. I know the show is silly to an extreme level, but man, that would have easily killed anyone, and those guys should be imprisoned ASAP.
anddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I thought the gyroscope thing was a bit much, personally. I know the show is silly to an extreme level, but man, that would have easily killed anyone, and those guys should be imprisoned ASAP.

It's joke
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

It was one of the girls' hallucination...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5