• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk (TV 2016/17).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Yes, I agree that the latest episode was good, definitely better developed than some of the previous ones. And also, it looks like they are retaining Casca's original appearance which I'm pleased to see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lyra_Kaze

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I'm assuming those others you mentioned are characters that haven't been introduced yet? I don't recall any of them from the first anime. At any rate, yes, this is why I asked the question, since at this point there aren't any women I can look forward to seeing on screen because they're probably going to do something monumentally stupid or get raped, or both. I wasn't looking for an argument about who does or doesn't fall into what category.

Hm, since in the first post you wrote you asked about "any female characters in Berserk" as a whole I assumed that you were reading the manga - In the current show they haven't introduced any of these characters - they probably will appear soon.

I wasn't able to watch more than 1 episode of this new berserk and I have my doubts if you will get any decent development of the female characters with the way that they are chopping away the content of the manga.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks for the info. So far so good with Luca and Erica anyway. Smile
Lyra_Kaze

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
Oh, it's ok! I'm glad that we're talking about character development - it's always interesting! I'm rooting for Berserk's girls!! Very Happy
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Lyra_Kaze wrote:

I wasn't able to watch more than 1 episode of this new berserk and I have my doubts if you will get any decent development of the female characters with the way that they are chopping away the content of the manga.

They've removed so much just to quickly get to Conviction, maybe there's not much else left to cut lol. Hopefully the series'll at least retain most of the development of the other characters. After Conviction's ended, I'd be really surprised if they adapt the next arc. Alone, visually, I think it's way too much for them to handle.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Not bad, they adapted some of the torture scenes well although I find the sex scene between Jerome and Luca was awkward because of the CGI. Meanwhile, I think she refers to Casca as Elaine and yes, of course there's a story behind that brand on her body. The comedic part when Casca popped out of nowhere was funny.

Good action this episode. Guts taking care of business as usual with his big sword while Isidro looks in awe. Next episode should be thrilling if they adapt it right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
Five years from now, assuming the studio and staff responsible for this work are still working together I think a decent looking 3dCG blended with 2dcg will come from these very same media creators, but as for Berserk 2016 this is the quality to be expected from most of the episodes for this run.
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Good episode. Surprised they mostly kept the torture scenes intact, it was pretty nasty. Isidro and Puck are hilarious. Luca is really smart, I love the way she shared the pearls and their earnings with the refugees so they didn't resent them. She also has some sympathy for Farnese. We get to see Silat and the Tapasa as well.

Ahhhh, Mozgus lol. "Your baby was practically dying, and I'll help, but hey, you did a minor sin so you get the shit tortured outta you. Sorry gal, just doing God's work. It's an ordeal, you'll overcome it, I'm sure!!" The climate in Albion is pretty suffocating with all the accusations of being a heretic, the stonings, the priest killings, the paranoia and just the all-round suffering that's going on. You can already see how characters like Nina are crushed by it.

But yeah, the visuals aren't doing the scenes justice, especially the comedic moments with Isidro and Guts's fight with the Kushan. They're also dwelling on some scenes for too long, when they could've put in other small scenes they've cut that give you more context into what's happening (though one scene might've been arranged to show up later).

Fun fact: the move Guts used against the Kushan where he lifted himself up in the air to avoid their attacks was done by Casca back in Golden Age. That's cool lol.
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
thus far my first reaction of this adaptation is pretty good.
its a very good anime thus far. However, we still don't know how the director will correlate more of the plot into this show.
Guts is still the very cool and a confidente fighter, but his motivation or desire to fight seems to stagger or become weak. As we continue to travel this road and find out more about the anime and its world, hopefully we can see more clearly what his true motivation is. We see that he wants to get rid of all apostles, but one remains still far superiorspoiler[(the one that nearly killed him)]. Guts must overcome this by more than strength, he needs some power that rivals a "God." Therefore, if his determination or motivation increases, he will be able to achieve more power.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
They're moving at way too fast a pace for certain scenes, making it confusing. They've cut out a decent amount of dialogue, which also makes certain scenes confusing, as well as removing a degree of characterisation from characters like Mozgus. Crunchyroll's translations aren't helping either (for example, it's not karma, it's causality). The time spent on Luca spanking the shit out of Nina and Mozgus slamming his face on the ground (neither scenes were that long originally lol) and Casca reliving her trauma (again, while important, didn't last that long originally and never needed to) was time they could've spent adding the rest of Skull Knight's dialogue, plus some more. As a result, this episode was rushed and very, very confusing. Not a good episode.

Last edited by Souther on Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to see the Skull Knight back but eh...idk, the show feels like a mixed bag this week for me. Hopefully they don't rush the next episode much as the series did prove itself with some of the episodes that it can be faithful.
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
Also, rotating the camera just for Luca hugging Nina? C'mon man, lol. Save it for the action scenes.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Guts' reunion with Casca is awesome sight to see, about time. He destroyed that goat. Meanwhile, I got some respect for Isidro this episode. No pun intended but he's got guts for a kid.
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
Honestly, this was a damn good episode! Aside from some iffy animation, I have no complaints. They didn't rush things either. Casca goes through way too much shit, it's not fair. And there's still the prophecy of her burning on the stake!
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
This clash is what we have been promised for the past few episodes, and damned does it deliver.
For the most part, it is simply event after event with almost no rest to set up a climactic reunion between Guts and Casca.

I found it hilarious that after Puck darted through the soldiers on stand by that it follows up with an equally fast Guts passing by as if he were a freight train passing the sound barrier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8