• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk (TV 2016/17).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
LOL. We never hear from Nina and Joachim again after this arc, but she said she plans on living and seeing Luca again when she's become a better person. And I have a feeling Luca figured out towards the end that she was leaving.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
The ending felt weird. I mean, that part was actually adapted faithfully but the whole experience of the arc just gave me a strange feeling with the Griffth tease. Meanwhile, Luca stands out as my favorite female character in this adaptation. What a brave girl. I'm also starting to like Isidro a lot more. I never felt attached much with Nina's character even though the arc focused a lot on her mainly because I'm not a fan of characters that are portrayed as weak.

The action was...meh with the CGI, was never good throughout the entire season at all imo. I actually liked the music though, one of the stronger points of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
I rated this show as Good. I haven't yet read the manga, so I was able to watch unburdened with any thoughts about how things were being adapted. I actually got to the point where I got used to the visual look so that wasn't an obstacle for me. I just really enjoyed the story. Very much looking forward to the next cours in the spring.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
Souther wrote:
LOL. We never hear from Nina and Joachim again after this arc, but she said she plans on living and seeing Luca again when she's become a better person. And I have a feeling Luca figured out towards the end that she was leaving.

I think the point is that Nina never wants to be caught up in the Black Swordsman's bizarre adventures, the rest of the cast that followed Guts in the wake of that nights events understands to follow guts means to get into some EXTREMELY dangerous situations.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
^
Yeah, also her arc is done and there's nothing more she can bring to the story. Plus she got her wish; she wanted someone who would truly accept her, and despite everything, Joachim came back to her. They're both weak people who can become stronger and more positive by supporting each other. They're better off together.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Assuming that Nina survives her tuberculosis or whatever it is, of course. Coughing up blood is never a good sign.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
She was also suffering from some kind of venereal disease as well (pus and blood was coming out from down below). I like to think she'd survive long enough to see Luca and the others again, but yeah, it's not a good look.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeeech, I forgot about the "down below" part. Hope you have some heavily reinforced sheepskin condoms.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Updated visual

I think a new preview came out recently too. Pretty sure it will be the same number of episodes as the previous part again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Souther

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Guess I'll kick things off with a very long post lol. Again, this season shares the same problems as the previous one, most important of all is not letting scenes breathe, rushing through the material and cutting out scenes that provide insight and context. I don't care much for the 1997 anime, but at least that had the luxury of having far more episodes to work with for 1 arc (25 episodes for around 10 volumes and bits from the first arc of the manga) whereas this adaptation's going to have 24-25 episodes for 2 arcs (around 14 volumes, including bits from the first arc of the manga).

Anyway, time to ramble on about the story so far, apologies for the spoiler block. spoiler[This season continues on from the big event of last season; Griffith's incarnation into the physical world. For a very, very long time, the God Hand have been working to not only induct Griffith as a new God Hand and incarnate him, but to create a climate where people would desire him (war, famine, oppression and other horrible things resulting in the desperate want for a saviour and a better world). Before, the God Hand had no physical bodies, so they'd had to achieve their goals by manipulating events and human desire through this limitation (why they resort to temporary bodies, Apostles and more indirect means of manipulation). Now that one of their own is in the physical world, it's a big step-up in what they can do in terms of control.

On the other hand, we have Guts, who, after almost losing Casca during the chaos of the Ceremony, swears to never leave her side again. Guts loves Casca and wants to protect her, but he struggles with being unable to communicate and have a relationship with the woman he loves, as well as staving off his desire to go after Griffith, who's now within his reach. Back in season 1, Luca was concerned about the two, rightfully noting that the power to protect someone isn't the same as having the power to be with/stand by someone. What she said came to pass and Guts tragically ends up sexually assaulting the person he's trying to protect.

Of course, there's the confrontation between Guts, Griffith and Zodd. To Griffith, his emotions about Guts and the sacrifices he's made towards achieving his goals have always been a concern for him, something that he's suffered over. When he made the sacrifice, his heart froze over and he's no longer susceptible to the emotions that he tried hard to push down while he was human. However, he didn't account for Guts and Casca's child fusing with his vessel and it has some control over him, as seen when he protects Casca and the beating of his heart during the fight between Guts and Zodd.

Finally, there's Serpico's and Farnese's background. The anime cuts out introspection and scenes that clarify their relationship, but to keep it short, Serpico empathises with Farnese because he believes she's a lost soul like himself. He sees Farnese as being trapped by her family, much like how he felt burdened in his downridden home with his mentally ill mother. He deliberately sandbags duels because he fears giving people a cause for retaliation, a side effect of when he was viciously beaten by the boys (as seen in the beginning of his and Farnese's flashback) for defending himself.

Towards the end, they both "free themselves" of the things that burdened them (Farnese burns down the mansion to avoid getting married, Serpico has to burn his mother to save himself), but Serpico rightfully questions exactly what it is that they were delivered from, as they're now in the Holy See, having to commit gruesome acts, and as we can see from last season, the ideology of the Holy See didn't offer Farnese much reprieve or protection.]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Farnesse presumably will get to voice her case for why she wants to follow Guts in the next episode, however from what we know event wise she has witnessed "devout followers of God" who are no less vile than demonic and supernatural forces that would slaughter masses of innocents, and she was willingly part of such a group until the end of last season.

Farnesse backstory makes sense to how she ended up with such a group, but clearly the sights she has encounter while briefly near The Blackswordsman has shown her the world is full of even MORE messed up shit.
We have to wait for the next episode to see which parts were her actual motivating factor, but certainly "not being able to go home" would be a significant part to why they should join a man who regularly courts deaths.

As for Serpico, his motivations are MUCH simpler, he now lives to be with and serve Farnesse, his life has been just as messed up but if he keeps his motivations simple he avoids getting swallowed in despair in the crap sack world he lives in.

And as for the animation quality, it seems the editing has gotten noticeably better though it probably will seem to look underwhelming for some viewers.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Just to be clear, the episode revealed that Serpico is Farnesse's half-brother (they share the same father) but Farnesse doesn't know this, correct?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Just to be clear, the episode revealed that Serpico is Farnesse's half-brother (they share the same father) but Farnesse doesn't know this, correct?

That seems to be correct, but a lot of the characters seem to have skeletons in the closet that only the audience is privy to, if Farnesse and Serpico were aware Guts was under the influence of a wolf demon that constantly whispered in his head "kill them, kill them all" I am not sure they would still be opting to join up.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:47 am Reply with quote
Eh, I'm not so sure. Farnesse seems to have a pretty large freak flag. Wink
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah, only Serpico knows because Frederico told him to keep a secret. Farnese definitely has.....issues lol, dunno if she'd knowingly plough her half-brother though.

FenixFiesta wrote:
Farnesse presumably will get to voice her case for why she wants to follow Guts in the next episode, however from what we know event wise she has witnessed "devout followers of God" who are no less vile than demonic and supernatural forces that would slaughter masses of innocents, and she was willingly part of such a group until the end of last season.

Sadly, there's even greater evil in Berserk's world. At the very least, Holy See devouts like Mozgus and his crew weren't any better than the heretics they were trying to purge in Albion. Both groups were utterly misguided and the God Hand manipulated them both to help move the events along in Albion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8