• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ReLife (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote

ReLife (TV)

Genres: Comedy, Drama, Romance
Themes: High School

Plot Summary: Arata Kaizaki is an unemployed, single 27-year-old who has just been cut off from his parents' financial support. Unable to find a job due to him leaving his previous employer within three months, he is stuck. One night after drinking with a high school friend, Arata meets Ryō Yoake, a man who offers Arata pills to turn him back into a 17-year old so he can redo his life. After agreeing to the experiment, Arata joins a high school class, and meets Chizuru Hishiro, a socially-awkward silent beauty who yearns to have friends. Through connecting with her and other classmates, Arata must find what he lacks to live a happy life in the real world within a one-year time limit.
----------------------------------

This has an interesting premise and there’s quite a lot of material from what I’ve read so far. Should be fun to see how much they plan to adapt this and cover the storytelling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:39 am Reply with quote
Eh it was alright, I liked most of the comedy and the fact that it captured the facial expressions of the comic pretty well. The premise has promise and they introduced all the main characters.

Oh and Kaiziaki is pretty much like a teenager guy with an adult mind.

I noticed CR is uploading the rest of the episodes today. Might binge watch this today and over the weekend. First episode was nice though imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first 5 episodes. So far it has been a near 100% true adaption to the manga, so I am happy for that. The reaction faces are more hilarious animated.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Well I blitzed the whole thing. It's nice once in awhile to have all the episodes at once.

I enjoyed it a lot. The expressions, banter, delivery and character dynamics were all on point and had me laughing quite a bit. The more dramatic and touching moments were done well too.

Though I think it was pretty obvious that spoiler[whichever girl that became Arata's love interest would turn out to be a Relife subject as well. Can't have an old guy creeping on high school girls, even if it's not illegal (age of consent is pretty low in Japan).]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

As a 25 year old struggling to get a job who has had thoughts of what could be if I could just rewind back, this was kind of real, also had to be lucky enough for a job interview the other day, which felt like it was a bit of a disaster.. Also super cringey at it all being a nightmare of a day, at least for the thought of an adult going through. Although an adult among students is still a little creepy.

Odd that the entire series is being released at once. I guess that I will marathon this, at least as much as can get through in one sitting. I usually prefer a pace of watching not so quick though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote
I guess this is a thread that will definitely need spoiler tags since everyone is watching at a difference pace.

I'm up through episode 5 and enjoying the hell out of this. Dat smile. Nyan. Laughing

I've also noticed that all the endings are different with music apparently from Kaizaki's music collection from the late 90s. That was unexpected, but a nice touch.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I was thinking it in the first episode, but the second episode also seems to strongly hint that the spoiler[transfer girl is like him and an adult in the program too]. There was some fun little chemistry in the episode. The characters are pretty fun. And also felt a little fun that our two spoiler[(likely) adults in teen appearance both jumped on the clueless teen boy].

Episode 3

The problems with social interactions is making me empathise with Hishiro too. Even problems with remembering names and such.

Episode 4

I can’t really pretend to understand Kariu in spoiler[pushing her to do an act of bullying], but I guess I can somewhat think that the theme of thinking other people are having an easy time while you feel like the world is against you, is an interesting one that one could sympathise with. Even though the evidence is there spoiler[that Hishiro is trying rather hard at studying and that she clearly has a hard time interacting with others, Kariu cannot see that].

Episode 5

Nice that we had all the set up, and a bit of a push was given to just face the problem for what it is and communicate. It was a nice bit of closure for the drama.

Episode 6

Just as predicted, spoiler[An was another adult who is in the program], although spoiler[she is actually a support member], which has me thinking that the job they are spoiler[offering is that he himself will become part of the support team. An may be a problem because she latched onto another adult, while if she is subject 001, she did not interact as she was supposed to]. I have kind of liked spoiler[her character so far, so her being legal is okay, although wonder how she can be allowed to interact with him now that he knows]. Although maybe I am wrong on something.

Episode 7

Well I was wrong in my assumption of spoiler[her being subject 001], but there was a whole story that was interesting. Seeing some adult drama of Yoake under spoiler[the pressure of needing to perform in his job, as well as other things like feeling bad for An not getting the role he wanted, he still had to do what he could].

Okay, I made it half way through the series today, I might leave the other half for another day. It is nice so far, but I am a little disappointed that this was not a series I could be theorising on weekly.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just inhaled this series. AotS! (so far Wink)

(spoilers cover through to the end, so don't read them until you've watched it all)

Seriously, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I especially liked that Kaizaki never really forgot he wasn't a 17 year old kid, which carries some...restraints with it. Smile I liked all the kids, though I'm slightly annoyed that tsundere girl spoiler[got rewarded with the cutest/nicest guy in the series.]

However, I did have an issue with spoiler[Yoake urging him to get it on with Hishiro (or any other girl he fancied). I totally get his reasons, but I wanted Kaizaki to point out that even if - no, because she would forget him later it would be terribly unfair to hijack her senior year on a relationship that will not just end, but disappear from her mind, when she might've met someone during that time that could've had a more lasting relationship with her. Instead, his main reservation is that it's pointless for him to embark on a high school fling. Hishiro has that same moral dilemma and also does not seem troubled by it.]

Kaizaki also doesn't point out that Yoake explicitly reminded him earlier that spoiler[illegal relationships would not be tolerated - a caveat they tossed out the window later with, "it's not illegal if it's consensual, but..." Unless he was implying he thought Kaizaki would be tempted to go raping his way through the student body, why bring it up if consent makes it legal?]

Also, I'm a little sketchy on that whole spoiler[making everyone who knew you this year forget] thing. If that could happen, they wouldn't be wasting the tech on NEET rehab, governments would be paying trillions for it. Smile Then again, rich old codgers would be paying through the nose for the drug, so... disbelief: suspended.

Finally, I'm still unclear how spoiler[Hishiro is still in the program. And people still remember her from last year. Jeez, half of this class is going to go missing from the minds and records at this school...]

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Finished binge watching this from episodes 3-13.

Overall, good series. The comedy was fun to watch, had the story building more and more while also exploring characters with their backgrounds.

The finale had spoiler[the confession and I'm satisfied with it especially considering how cute the couple Oga and Kariu is when they are together.] Well the ending was a bit more open ended but since the manga is still ongoing, I guess it was expected. Hishiro and Kaizaki has a complex relationship imo throughout this series from the very start to the finale.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Finally, I'm still unclear how spoiler[Hishiro is still in the program. And people still remember her from last year. Jeez, half of this class is going to go missing from the minds and records at this school...]

Some manga info: spoiler[She got approved to have a 2nd year in the program. Memories are only erased once the ReLIFE has ended.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Tama goes through quite a bit of stress. She gets a high amount of spoiler[pressure to succeed, especially put on her because she is good, but her own putting down of her abilities is from a built up of stress from people being jealous]. People hitting spoiler[back at her, not aware that she is actually quite aware and feels for the problems others have]. She just ends up as a target for frustration.

Episode 9

So much drama, teen drama, but Arata went through some pretty big adult drama that was similar. Although I starting to think something, they mentioned being able to rework memories, we had that odd static spoiler[bit and Hishiro’s particular odd behaviour has occasionally came across to me like an older person]. Could spoiler[Hishiro perhaps be subject 001 but with altered memories that she thinks she is a teenager]?

Episode 10

With all the drama between Tama and Kariu, I think that I was happiest with how things worked with Hishiro, how she was spoiler[able help them both figure it out and they both appreciated her. Them both hugging her was the sweetest].

Episode 11

More adult drama, Kaizaki has sure been through a lot. The whole thing feels really difficult for a person to have to face, at least in my position a feeling of fear that is in Kaizaki’s life. Those people he worked with/for were a piece of work.

Episode 12

He self-destructed in spoiler[accusing Oga of ending up the only single guy], lol.
It’s happening.

Episode 13 (finale)

It happened. Also, it totally was the case, spoiler[Hishiro is subject 001. It does create some options of a happier direction/ending, there is nothing illegal about the two of them being together, and they would likely be able to remember it afterwards]. Actually quite glad about it, I was getting quitespoiler[ fond of Hishiro, fellow socially awkward] characters for the win. Oh, and Hishiro's finale smile over the test was great.

Not often I go through a new series so quickly, makes me worried if I am going to properly remember it all when watching the whole thing was crammed into 2 days, like I mostly skipped the OP song. I can't figure out if it was a problem with the last episode or I had not noticed before then, but there was an awfully large amount of static images, like often crowds would not move and I realised that there was a number of budget restraints here. I liked the characters, I am pretty interested in seeing a continuation. Drama felt pretty real, I think there might have been some effective use of music, or it was in general just really able to get across various themes. From pressure of trying to succeed, pressures people put on others not taking into account what they have to deal with, and the lasting influence people can have on others.

I think that the main character being a 20 something man watching these high schoolers, it maybe connected a bit with me as someone who spends quite a bit of time watching high school lives through anime. It has given me quite a bit to think about, and I do imagine myself at least going back over the series at least by looking up images of it. I enjoyed this. I give a rating of Very good (8/10), it might not be the best in a technical sense, but I think it was pretty consistent, it stayed aware of some boundaries, but maybe asked some questions. I would recommend it.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Also, I'm a little sketchy on that whole spoiler[making everyone who knew you this year forget] thing. If that could happen, they wouldn't be wasting the tech on NEET rehab, governments would be paying trillions for it. Smile

Well, remember, not everything Yoake says is true. Could be another (white?) lie of his to keep the subject within proper boundaries. That said, spoiler[how much do you remember of your high school? How many people do you regularly interact with? Not sure one would even need to wipe their memories] Razz

And again, if one tries looking at this as a sci-fi show rather than the slice/drama it is, it simply falls apart, so yeah, suspending disbelief is required.

Anyway, very good show overall, but shame about the binge-stream, as with time and hype it could probably reach ERASED levels of popularity. Overall I liked it a lot, although it did have some plotholes and felt a bit rushed in places. The show did an excellent job at portraying various relationships and character traits, and felt quite realistic about those things. Also, some of the themes really stuck home, hard, making me remember some of the similar experiences the year or two after college.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
Well, remember, not everything Yoake says is true. Could be another (white?) lie of his to keep the subject within proper boundaries.

I had considered that, but ended up believing him with a grain of salt, since it's something clearly advantageous for the ReLife program's security.

In this case, it would have the opposite effect of what you propose, since you'd believe you could spoiler[make a complete asshat of yourself, secure in the knowledge that no one would remember and it would not go on your permanent record. :) If it's a lie, it would be to allow them to act with more freedom to come out of their shells or solve whatever their problem is, but truth or lie, the effect is the same.]

Btw, was I the only one to wonder with all the volleyball stuff, if this was a different campus of Aoba Jousai? Like Aoba Joutou or something? ;D

Sorry that's so incoherent. My brain is really foggy today. :/
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ausdoerrt wrote:
Well, remember, not everything Yoake says is true. Could be another (white?) lie of his to keep the subject within proper boundaries.

I had considered that, but ended up believing him with a grain of salt, since it's something clearly advantageous for the ReLife program's security.

Probably the biggest hole in the story are any supporting details of what this shadowy company with a flashy business card and logo (with an "L" in it no less) is up to. Are they really so benevolent, particularly since part of their program involves the raping (in other words, totally nonconsensual) of the minds of a class of teenager's by way of erasing memories? Ethically dubious to say the least.

Yet they are going through a pretty magnificent amount of expense to ostensibly help one NEET by way of an "experiment." Multi-year training of multiple "watchers" then the support of everyone for the duration. Just who is funding this and what do they expect to get out of it?

Perhaps the anime's strongest suit is Kaizaki's portrayal. He's sometimes the butt of the joke but he obviously isn't clueless even though he has to take makeup tests all the time. Yet the way he regards himself and his classmates from an adult mindset seems to ring pretty true and created some interesting moments to watch.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
NEETs and the like are seen as a pretty big social issue in Japan, so a company that can reliably rehabilitate such people would get a lot of support.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3