• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Resource intensive advertisements slowing down browser

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I have recently been encountering advertisements on ANN that slow my internet browsing to a crawl.

One that I can remember is 'Ad by Tribal Fusion' and I think another is 'Ad by Seraplex'. These ads make browsing ANN not fun and the only way I've been able to stop them (temporarily) is by stopping Adobe Flash completely.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:45 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
One that I can remember is 'Ad by Tribal Fusion' and I think another is 'Ad by Seraplex'.

Seracast is a new ad network on ANN, so we're definitely paying close attention to their ads. Do you remember if it was "Seracast" ? (We don't have an advertiser called Seraplex.) Was it a video ad?

Tribal Fusion has been a long-time advertiser, so this was probably an anomaly and hopefully won't happen again. Can you describe the ad? What product or brand was being advertised? Was it a video ad ?

Any other feedback you can give would be helpful...
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
It was definitely Seraplex. I just saw the name again.

It was a video ad and my browser was so slow that I never got to see what was being advertised because the browser kept freezing up on me.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Can you tell me about your system ?

Processor, amount of ram, OS version, browser and browser version ?

You can find some of this here:
http://supportdetails.com/

Either way this is an issue and we're going to get it fixed, but I want to see what kind of system(s) it is affecting.

Can you take a screenshot of the ad next time it happens? We don't have an advertiser called Seraplex (we have seracast), so I need to figure out who this ad is for...
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
My mistake, I was completely reading the name wrong for some reason (am I dyslexic?). The advertiser is Seracast.

My computer specifications:
RAM: 12 GB
Processor: Intel Core i7 2.4 Ghz
Browser: Firefox 46.0

When the advertisements start slowing down my computer, Adobe Flash starts consuming about 1,000,000 K of RAM, no joke. The advertisement never plays anything in Firefox. It just stays as a black screen (Update: I was able to get the advertisement to play and it was an ad for Walgreens).

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa404/waynerro/ANN-seracast-advertisement_zpskbcbttgn.png
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow, and you've got a kick ass system. It isn't the case of an 18 year old compaq laptop dying under the strain of flash.

We're running that ad a lot actually, and you're the only person who is reporting these problems, so it seems to be specific to a limited number of people.

I'll talk to Seracast and ask readers. In the meantime, I've sent you an invite for a 1-month subscription by PM.

You left out one detail though, what version of Flash are you running ?

-t
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Thank you. There's no need for a 1-month subscription offer, though. I'm just doing my duty as a concerned reader. It very well may be something I did on my end.

The flash version I am using is 21.0

I was able to capture a screenshot of my computer processes when the ad is running on ANN in my firefox browser. The screen shows flash using over 570,000 K of memory after letting the Seracast ad play for about 5 minutes. I think more memory gets used up as the ad keeps running. It's not as bad as it was 4 days ago because my browser doesn't freeze up anymore.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa404/waynerro/ANN-seracast-advertisement-02_zpseknrz9tg.png
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Hi Gasero,

Last night they made some changes to the unit. They reported to me that they've seen this problem before, but it's very random, they don't know why it affects some people and not others. So this means that they're kind of shooting in the dark with the adjustment.

Let me know if the problem persists.

-t
Brand

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
Actually, I've been having similar problems with ANN with my work computer. I was getting really terrible slowdown (and this is fairly new and powerful computer). The slow down has seemed to stop. But just now when I opened ANN it caused Firefox (46) to crash. I'm using Flash 21.0.-1. Crash Report.

This new vendor kind of makes me sad. I really liked that most of the ads on ANN were actually anime related. This is the only site that I have actually wanted to click on an ad. And in fact did so and bought something because of it. Now, it is just generic junk I don't care about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
I agree, the Seracast ads are a real nuisance. Sometimes when I'm on this site, I like to have multiple tabs open at once, and more often than not, there's a Seracast ad playing in each tab, which slows my browser down and makes things really slow-moving and unproductive.

So yeah, I'm all for the video ads being removed and replaced with something that makes navigating the site not a hassle.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:09 am Reply with quote
I'm having a script issue with the seracast ads. That is causing really bad slow down.

My computer specifications:
RAM: 16 GB
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 Ghz
Browser: Firefox 46.0.1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:10 am Reply with quote
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to look talk to Seracast about this. If need be we'll remove the ads. It's a pity, they help keep the lights on.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Thu May 19, 2016 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:26 am Reply with quote
An ironic thing is that I am less likely to watch an entire video ad than I am to read a static banner ad. The video is inversely effective.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
I'm having a script issue with the seracast ads. That is causing really bad slow down.

Can you post the error message your browser is giving you?
Brand

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I sent you a PM but here is the error code from the console and the pop up message I received.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2