• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Original When Marnie Was There Novel Int'l Sales Boost

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The original Marnie novel was written by Joan G. Robinson and published in 1967. In 1971, it was serialised on the BBC series Jackanory,

Well, Jackanory has now been referenced within an ANN article. Worlds are very much colliding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:06 am Reply with quote
I seem to recall finding Jackanory boring, but I was also more of a CITV kid. It might even have been one of those things that was always halfway through by the time we walked home from school.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't like how they changed the cover to the book, to match the film.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
but I was also more of a CITV kid.

Fun House? Knightmare? Such insidious programming has much to answer for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
andyos
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

If you mean the book cover pictured in the article, that was from a Japanese edition published in 2003, according to Amazon Japan, which was several years before Ghibli bought the rights to adapt the book.

I presume that when the Bookseller article talks about selling the translation rights to Japan _after__ the announcement of the Ghibli film, this is referring to a reissue after the previous translation rights had lapsed. (Would be interesting to know if it was a new translation.)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:48 am Reply with quote
andyos wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

If you mean the book cover pictured in the article, that was from a Japanese edition published in 2003, according to Amazon Japan, which was several years before Ghibli bought the rights to adapt the book.
There is a new UK cover https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marnie-There-Essential-Modern-Classics/dp/0007591357/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1463575570&sr=1-1&keywords=when+marnie+was+there

The old one had a nice vintage look to it, and looked more suitable for an adult. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51UGJxfeoCL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU01_SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
andyos
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:03 am Reply with quote
Ah, I see. Yes, I prefer the older cover too... I think the photograph was actually taken for the Jackanory serialisation. (Jackanory tended to use illustrations, but in the case of Marnie the programme used photos specially taken in Norfolk - it's mentioned in the postscript to the new edition by the author's daughter.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1