• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oh My Goddess, Last Volume 48, Good Ending?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one what thinks there could have been at least 1 or two more volumes after 48? To me the ending seemed very rushed, like "yeah, I'm fed up with this I'm ending it here". spoiler[ K-1 pasts all the test, Daddy gives his blessing, mother approves, instant wedding dress change, a race to the gate, quick wedding ceremony witnessed by four goddesses, two demons and a cat, restate the first line of the first volume,] wizz-bang, job done, THE END. WTF?
What about Keichi's family, and his friends? No second ceremony for Earth, Japanese customs for family and friends? No later Bell announcing her pregnancy to Keichi? I think Fujishima could easily gone to Volume 50 by including that. Discuss.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk: No, you're not alone. Maison Ikkoku did it better. I could sense the Oh My Goddess dude was clearly tired of that series, though, 'cus it was only a few years earlier that he was still determined to continue it for a long time. Though I'd personally like to believe he cut it short, because of Witchcraft Works.
Svcy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:22 am Reply with quote
Some great story ends poor. Why you always do this Japan artists?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I felt the ending was severely rushed. It was lacking in almost every possible way. This is still my favorite manga of all time but man that ending.....He could EASILY have done just 1 more volume to give the series the send off it deserved. After all these years and trials those 2 have faced Kei and Bell deserved a better ending than that. At least give the marriage ceremony more chapters. A little look at the future. Something! A good example of a RomCom done right ending wise is Ai Yori Aoshi. It gave readers a real ending with a good send off. You got to see them all briefly down the road and it felt like a proper ending. It would've been nice if it was a bit longer but it at least worked and didn't feel rushed. Not to me anyways. OMG's ending felt like a very hastily written ending at the end of a term paper after spending 5 hours speeding through it the night before it's due.

Maybe a special will come out later. Makes me wonder if a 3rd tv season will ever get done either.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:59 am Reply with quote
BTW, speaking of Fujishima, I noticed his shorter and newer one-off series Paradise Residence has a crappy Amazon sales ranking. Now, I'm not going to guarantee anything, but I have a feeling that Kodansha USA might be more motivated to rescue YUA, if that thing does better in sales. And actually, it did go up a bit already when I brought up the suggestion elsewhere. But for those not in the know, don't forget that the first volume comes out next month.
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
I didn't think it was a bad ending... an author doesn't have to spell out everything. Sure, maybe a one-off epilogue sometime down the road would be nice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1