• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Akame ga Kill Blu-Ray [2016-05-23]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
I actually liked the second half of AgK more than the first. I never bought into the pretensions of the show & the manga fans that it was anything other than bad, edgelord schlock; so the second half's decision to say screw it, get Esdeth's tits out, kill everyone & have a giant robot because why not was the decent into stupidity that the show needed for me to not put it at Tokyo Ghoul levels of crap. Admittedly part of that fun came from watching the reaction of manga fans as it spiraled downward, which isn't something that really adds to it now.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
its more or less one of the reasons why i dropped this series. especially the last two episodes where that last round of killing off of main characters was the monkey that broke the camel's back for me.i mean this feels way too much like X:1999. more or less the same way i felt for season two for tokyo ghoul.hopefully the manga for both series have a better outcome than their anime versions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I know the anime won't win any awards, but at least it was a good way to burn half an hour on Saturday nights.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
The second half didn't bother me that much since I never had huge expectations. It made for some good mindless entertainment with a couple of decent character moments, but was nowhere near as good as some people made it out to be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I'll never understand how this series got so huge. Esdeath's rack only accounts for so much, the writing is just so bad.

Here's an example: Esdeath is trying to convince the protagonist to join the Empire. The protagonist insists that's wrong, because he can't ignore his convictions or his old friends--but has no problem trying to use Esdeath's lust for him as a tool to make her join the Night Raid! 'because, y'know, her friends and convictions don't matter. Rolling Eyes

This show was all style, no substance.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I never really pegged Syura's voice as being stereotypically gay. Flamboyant, sure. But not gay.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I liked the part where every character I disliked spoiler[died]. I disliked the part where the few characters I liked spoiler[also died].
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
I'll never understand how this series got so huge. Esdeath's rack only accounts for so much, the writing is just so bad.

Oh lord yes. I think I'd need to delve down for a grade lower than F to adequately describe how godawful the show's writing and overall storytelling turned out. By the end it was getting almost physically painful to sit through each episode, though at least it was tempered a bit by the constant refrain of, "Oh my God, someone actually got paid to write that?!" I didn't care about any of the sub-one-dimensional characters at all, which wound up being a good thing because the show seemed to revel in going all kill-'em-all Tomino and offing most of the cast without any reason whatsoever. spoiler[Seriously, when you kill your main protagonist an episode before the finale, and spend all of 30 seconds or so acknowledging his passing? That's a special level of incompetent.] I've said it elsewhere, but Akame ga Kill feels for all the world like someone gathered a group of 12-year-old boys in a room with pencils and a typewriter, and said, "Okay, now come up with the most hardcore super awesome cartoon you can think of!" It's as subtle as a bag of wet cement to the face. I'm just glad someone didn't pay me to write a full-fledged review of it, because about all I could muster would be linking to the infamous Billy Madison quiz show clip.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:

Oh lord yes. I think I'd need to delve down for a grade lower than F to adequately describe how godawful the show's writing and overall storytelling turned out. By the end it was getting almost physically painful to sit through each episode, though at least it was tempered a bit by the constant refrain of, "Oh my God, someone actually got paid to write that?!" I didn't care about any of the sub-one-dimensional characters at all, which wound up being a good thing because the show seemed to revel in going all kill-'em-all Tomino and offing most of the cast without any reason whatsoever. spoiler[Seriously, when you kill your main protagonist an episode before the finale, and spend all of 30 seconds or so acknowledging his passing? That's a special level of incompetent.] I've said it elsewhere, but Akame ga Kill feels for all the world like someone gathered a group of 12-year-old boys in a room with pencils and a typewriter, and said, "Okay, now come up with the most hardcore super awesome cartoon you can think of!" It's as subtle as a bag of wet cement to the face. I'm just glad someone didn't pay me to write a full-fledged review of it, because about all I could muster would be linking to the infamous Billy Madison quiz show clip.

I was waiting for you to respond, and I am not disappointed by your reaction.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Not that I've gotten much further than the first few episodes, but I really don't understand what people are talking about when they say the second half is 'disappointing'. Like, you're telling me that what I just saw was 'the good part'?

The writer seems to have just taken a bunch of random elements from his favourite manga, TV shows and video games because he thought they were cool but didn't really understand what made those moments great or how to string it together. Sure Game of Thrones had gratuitous violence and constant death but there's a lot more to it than that.

The weird 'medieval but not really' setting with wildly inconsistent fashion (Why does the lead guy wear a sweater?) and technology, the constant barrage of meaningless violence, the cast of bland stereotypes and for God's sake don't get me started on its awful sense of humour and complete lack of good comedic timing. 'Hey this person just got killed and it's a really sad moment please cry. LOL! Random comedy scene! Please laugh!'.

To be perfectly honest I don't see how the show could get much worse.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
There's a reason the show was so popular and made its way to Toonami.

Yea, it wasn't as good as it could have been. Still though, I had a blast watching it.

I agree the romance between Tatsumi and Esdeath was pretty bizarre at the end. I wasn't sure what to make of that ending part. However, I don't think the idea of the romance was stupid. It totally made sense. Esdeath's character was irredeemably evil, but despite her obsession with being the strongest and everything, she had to have at least ONE weakness. Everyone has at least one. It would have been more stupid if they had made her a flawless villain. Her weakness was that there was one thing she couldn't conquer and that was the concept of love. For most villains, they would just ignore that and treat it as silly, but she is way too greedy and wants to have EVERYTHING. She can't stand the idea of something being beyond her grasp. So that's why she obsessed over Tatsumi. It wasn't love in the sense that a normal human being would think of it, but maybe more like a freakish kind of lust. But again, that made her weak in some ways. She made mistakes when it came to Tatsumi.

So yea, I thought it was actually kind of smart how they played her character in that way. I just thought they botched the ending, but that was probably more of a time issue than anything else. I don't think this show had a Naruto/Bleach-like budget to work with. I've said for a long time if they could have stretched this out for another 26 episodes, it would have been truly special, but they didn't have that and they made do with what they did have.

Overall it is solid entertainment, which again, is why it is on Toonami and doing well with audiences. It didn't achieve greatness but I'd still give it a B at a minimum.
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Remember how Tenchi Muyo GXP was on Toonami and hated by pretty much everyone because of how terrible it was?
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
CelestialEmpress wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Remember how Tenchi Muyo GXP was on Toonami and hated by pretty much everyone because of how terrible it was?

Only unlike GXP, people actually actively wanted AgK on Toonami. GXP was just Demarco's attempt to air something Tenchi on Toonami 2.0 that horribly backfired.
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
CelestialEmpress wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Only unlike GXP, people actually actively wanted AgK on Toonami. GXP was just Demarco's attempt to air something Tenchi on Toonami 2.0 that horribly backfired.

My point was, as much as I enjoy Toonami, a run on it isn't strictly a seal of quality.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
^
Okay, but a fan favorite show that ends up on Toonami is generally pretty darn good or at least solid entertainment. My comment was really more that this is not a "C" show (or whatever lower grade some other people seemed to be giving it). I really enjoyed it, but I'm being pretty objective I think in saying it is a B show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3