• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Akame ga Kill Blu-Ray [2016-05-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
I don't think so; I do remember spoiler[the dog thing], albeit vaguely. If anything, the anime does the editing - the opening scene of the show leaves out the manga detail of spoiler[the wife in the cabin being pregnant and the danger beast ripping the fetus from her womb and eating it first.]
GC-Wave

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Well, that is interesting. Is the manga here in the west edited for content?

Nope, everything is intact minus the F bombs that are from fanslations.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
As a fan of the manga--I remember spending hours straight reading it with entranced eyes, I'll say that the manga is vastly superior. I like AgK because it's a bloody as hell violence-fest mixed with over-the-top shounen fighting. Really, that's it. That kind of thing was never going to come off well in the anime since it was low-budget as fudge.

that's teh point, akame ga kill is supossed to be a violent shounen series, a nod to series form the past, where the characters died, not like nowadays where shounen jump's popularity polls decide the character's fates. it was never supossed something different or better than that but some fans pitched it as if it was teh second coming of gantz (just like konosuba IS the second coming of slayers).
vcx

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Reading some of the comments I wonder if the Blu-Ray is different from the Anime I watched. I like Esdeath. She was very interesting in the duality of caring,compassion toward her team and the straight forward unembarrassed ask for help in the relationship with Tatsumi. That sequence showed her to be more than a cardboard villain. One thing bothered me was Esdeath's loyality to the obvious evil character of the Prime minister. It seems she was unable to see that she was being used as was the young ruler.
There seemed to be a lot of back story to all the characters that was left out. There was enough missing for another 12 episodes. Akame hardly has any story at all. yet she is the titular character. Perhaps the writers assumed that everyone read the manga.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
vcx wrote:

There seemed to be a lot of back story to all the characters that was left out. There was enough missing for another 12 episodes. Akame hardly has any story at all. yet she is the titular character. Perhaps the writers assumed that everyone read the manga.

akame and kurome's back story even has it's own separate manga, akame ga kill zero; currently 3 volumes long and counting (as a side note, it's less echi than regular akakill, but when it shows nudity it does show nipples).
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca wrote:
At several points it feels distinctly like things are being left out, such as Tatsumi's fight with Suzuka (a character who wears her single-sided breastplate on the side where her heart isn't) or a meeting between Esdeath and Najenda.

That's because there was an entire fight cut out where Esdeath killed Susanoo because Esdeath predicted Najenda would attack from there and royally screwed up Night Raid's plans.

The anime chose to add a secret tunnel, skip all of this, and make Esdeath into an idiot for no good reason.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:01 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I liked the part where every character I disliked spoiler[died]. I disliked the part where the few characters I liked spoiler[also died].

I love this statement. Made me smile at how funny and universally true it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3