• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist Manga Gets Live-Action Film in Winter 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
uncutpokemon wrote:
So they're using an all Asian cast for a story set in a Europe-esk location. Am I the only one that sees a problem with this? If the last airbender is wrong for white washing a cast of characters set in an Asian-esk location, then why is it ok for a Europe-esk show to yellow wash the cast?

Here is how I look at it... They are making these anime/manga adaptation movies with Japanese audience in mind. The same reason why they hire popular idols and boy band dudes that can't act, but to better sell their movies to their targeted audience, Instead of honoring the source materials or treat it as an art form, they rather want to make their movies the easiest way & cost effective and make profit, but in the end they all know its total crap but pretend its good, its hilarious.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Live Action Anime movies NEVER turn out well no matter who makes it whether it be Hollywood or Japan itself it will NEVER be as good as the original source material. Rolling Eyes
alvorado

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:55 am Reply with quote
uncutpokemon wrote:
So they're using an all Asian cast for a story set in a Europe-esk location. Am I the only one that sees a problem with this? If the last airbender is wrong for white washing a cast of characters set in an Asian-esk location, then why is it ok for a Europe-esk show to yellow wash the cast?

Your "concerns" were already addressed by user patchy_boy:
patchy_boy wrote:
Interesting that you seem to be making a point about racism, and yet casually use the word "yellow" which is a deragotory term. Also, Japan has only Japanese actors on hand, which gives them somewhat of an excuse, while the racially-diverse America has plenty of Asian actors but Hollywood seems to go out of its way to not use them. Whether or not one thinks it's right, that's the difference.

We could go into further detail on how Japan's demographics are vastly different from a proudly diverse country like the US, and how the US film industry doesn't seem interested in reflecting the many kinds of people and faces we see in our daily lives, in New York and Los Angeles, the two centers of filmmaking in the US, compared to Tokyo, but let's not digress. I'm not sure whether it will matter, considering your use of as universally-considered racist a term as "yellow". (Yeah, look around, no one is actually "yellow", we're not in the Simpsons. It was created by racists to demean, berate, and dehumanize a whole groúp of people.)
PhantomVash808

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:06 am Reply with quote
I really wish this wasn't being made for no way this amazing manga/anime series will transition well into a live action film, not even Hollywood would be able to do it correctly. I just have a feeling it will be as bad as AOT.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
Interesting. I've long thought that FMA had potential for a western live action adaptation, given its European-style setting. With the budget of a series like Game of Thrones, a TV series could definitely do the story justice. But a theatrical movie would have to focus on a small section of the larger story, much like the Harry Potter films. Or they could always take liberties with the source material, I suppose.

Whatever the case, I'm sure this Japanese production will try its best to make something worthwhile. I don't think FMA poses nearly as many technical challenges to filmmakers as Attack on Titan did.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote
uncutpokemon wrote:

Why don't people understand that Japan doesn't have the funds or racial diversity to pull of some of these movies? Its not nearly the same thing. Having quite a lot of Caucasian actors, not to mention Middle Eastern actors to portray Ishval, would be quite hard for them.

Last edited by bleachj0j on Tue May 24, 2016 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
KH91

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:15 am Reply with quote
Hold up. Was this movie not confirmed like 2 months ago? Hence the reason I ignored this article at first. Confused
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:05 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Hold up. Was this movie not confirmed like 2 months ago? Hence the reason I ignored this article at first. Confused

http://www.crossmap.com/news/fullmetal-alchemist-live-action-movie-announced-cast-revealed-26935

Yeah, other site and Reddit reported this about a month ago, totally disappointed with ANN.
This is not newsworthy anymore as other forumer posted about live action announcement last month and I checked here and there is nothing about FMA Live Action news until today.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I'll just wait for the Hollywood version instead because knowing how Japan's film industry really doesn't have the best visual effects, it won't do the story any justice and as for the casting, yeah I am not a fan of it and since this is made from Japan, it's to be expected.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
They going to have someone wear a big suit of amor for Al or just CGI it?

also would be cool if they got Kugimiya to do the VA for him.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
It's funny how Hollywood would have me staring into the distance but a Japanese adaptation merely elects a yawn from me. Too many subpar adaptations.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Unlike Ghost in the Shell FMA would benefit from a multicultural cast and if America made a movie I'd have no qualms about the ethnicity of the Edward. The issue with GitS is that the series is set in Japan with an obviously Japanese protagonist whereas FMA is set in a fictional world. It was obvious that the main series takes part in a western society seeing as Xing is an eastern society. That said, there we also had a lot of tanned characters.

It's really good that they're filming in Italy so the locations will seem authentic to the manga[/quote]
S0N G3CK0

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Here's to hoping they do FMA justices. Anime smile + sweatdrop
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Alcest wrote:
"Yet another yellowashing movie, this is racist and intolerable!" Said nobody ever.

Reasonably certain you're saying it right now.

Have more self esteem, you're not nobody, you're somebody!
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
My body is ready... to see this flop spectacularly. Dis gun be gud.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4