• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist Manga Gets Live-Action Film in Winter 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
.____. As much as I am a big fan of Fullmetal Alchemist (the manga and both anime series), I'm a little nervous about how this will turn out. I'm afraid this will be as bad as some of the other live-action adaptions of other anime/manga franchises. Also, FMA is done now, so why are we getting another movie? O_O; *confused derpy dragon is confused*

I might consider watching it online because I don't know if I will like the movie. But of course, it's FAR too early to judge the movie just yet since it hasn't been out quite yet. I will wait until I find it online (hoping Crunchyroll or perhaps FUNimation will have it).

I hope the movie will do well, but I'm not quite sure yet. It's not like with Rurouni Kenshin when the live-action movies were done well with little to no issue even though they strayed way too far from the original manga sometimes. What's next? InuYasha? O_O;
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:41 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
omegaproxy wrote:

This is laughable, I'm wondering when these Japanese movie studios and Japanese actors will stop embarrassing them selves for making awful live action adaptation that they can't possibly make.

= Judged an entire country's filming industry as if he seen them all
= Thought that the Japanese filmakers can't possibly make decent live action when there's a lot already but I would not give examples.
= Worse of all, trying to judged a work in progress without seeing anything yet as a confirmed wreck.

Eh, we do the same with Hollywood, so it's just par for the course
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:44 am Reply with quote
I think Alphonse would make sense to be a aanimatronic puppet or CGI to keep within their budget.
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
On one hand... Rurouni Kenshin.
On the other hand... Attack on Titan.

I think Rurouni Kenshin worked not only because of the director, but also because it was an anime with minimal CGI required and was based in Japan with (mostly) Japanese physics. In fact, I think it worked so well because they made it more realistic.

On the other hand, there were quite a few number of reasons why AoT failed, the least of which taking away the different character backgrounds, let alone changing our favorite characters.

Unfortunately, with the scale that FMA is, I think it's a little too much for Japan and will end up erring on the side of AoT - especially since it's such a ridiculously beloved anime. Moreso than even AoT so fans (including myself) will probably flip shit if it's not up to the expected standards. Why can't they start with something on a lesser scale?
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
All righty, I know I just popped into another thread about a completely different topic and said, "This is weird," but I take that back cause this is weirder.

^ Yep, major reason why Rurouni Kenshin was successfully pulled off is because of its lack of heavy supernatural and fantastic elements, thus not requiring big fx. To this end, I wonder why nobody has tackled Slam Dunk or other "realistic" shonen properties yet.

And yeah, you really shouldn't judge before its completion, but...I have my doubts. Japan (and the rest of Asia) just doesn't have that Hollywood bread. First and foremost it's going to need a great script and a competent director.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I wish these Japanese film studios would make ONE anime/manga adaptation film, that I'd consider good. At least 'Edges of tomorrow' level. Or take an inspiration from 'district 9' Its possible, but they just want to make garbage like Hentai-Kamen. Good JOB!!!!!!!

You'd consider 'kenshin' or 'gantz' or 'Death Note' being a decent film? You have to be joking. They're barely watchable. Its painful trying to sit through these films.
Do you think this FMA adaptation is any exception ? When they have some jaaniizuuu male idol with little experience in acting as lead, Does it look like they are trying to make a great memorable film or just trying to use anime/manga property and their fans?
Evil or Very Mad
teferi

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:26 am Reply with quote
alvorado wrote:
uncutpokemon wrote:
So they're using an all Asian cast for a story set in a Europe-esk location. Am I the only one that sees a problem with this? If the last airbender is wrong for white washing a cast of characters set in an Asian-esk location, then why is it ok for a Europe-esk show to yellow wash the cast?

Your "concerns" were already addressed by user patchy_boy:
patchy_boy wrote:
Interesting that you seem to be making a point about racism, and yet casually use the word "yellow" which is a deragotory term. Also, Japan has only Japanese actors on hand, which gives them somewhat of an excuse, while the racially-diverse America has plenty of Asian actors but Hollywood seems to go out of its way to not use them. Whether or not one thinks it's right, that's the difference.

We could go into further detail on how Japan's demographics are vastly different from a proudly diverse country like the US, and how the US film industry doesn't seem interested in reflecting the many kinds of people and faces we see in our daily lives, in New York and Los Angeles, the two centers of filmmaking in the US, compared to Tokyo, but let's not digress. I'm not sure whether it will matter, considering your use of as universally-considered racist a term as "yellow". (Yeah, look around, no one is actually "yellow", we're not in the Simpsons. It was created by racists to demean, berate, and dehumanize a whole groúp of people.)

Oh please. What's the equivalent term then? Asian-skin-color-washing?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4