• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of May 13-19

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
Jesus Christ at Netoge's fall; were that many people worried about their self-insert getting NTRd?

And with the numbers Re:Zero's pulling, I might actually have to watch it. I gave it a pass because of the squinty character designs - especially the MC - and meh girls, but it might be worth it after all.
jaykayjk10

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Jesus Christ at Netoge's fall; were that many people worried about their self-insert getting NTRd?

And with the numbers Re:Zero's pulling, I might actually have to watch it. I gave it a pass because of the squinty character designs - especially the MC - and meh girls, but it might be worth it after all.
yesssss you need to watch Re:Zero. easily aots for me right now. the show is just outstanding.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:

I am watching Re:Zero, and I find it generally likable. To me it is very similar to Sword Art Online because both are fantasy otaku shows that are resonating with a larger segment of the fandom. And like with SAO, I would not recommend Re:Zero to people looking for a well written story and layered characters. Popularity does not always equal high quality.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Kabaneri's Cumulative Ranking isn't budging from 1st place Shocked
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Kabaneri's Cumulative Ranking isn't budging from 1st place Shocked

Yeah, the number 2 in cumulative, Jojo 4, has gone down a fair amount for the past two weeks in the weekly and the current contenders in the weekly came from a somewhat lower place ratings wise, so to beat Kabaneri at this point they would have to be consistently on top of Kabaneri for a while. So its place is less about how Kabaneri is ranking weekly than how those under it are ranking.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
layered characters. .
Don't worry. These characters are like onions, it's just that you're still on the first 2 layers. Smile

Last edited by AksaraKishou on Tue May 24, 2016 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Muffum

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Curious what's been causing Joker Game to decline in the rankings nearly every week. I ended up dropping it after 3 episodes, but that was more because it didn't appeal to me specifically than because I thought it was bad. Did it end up getting worse after that?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Muffum wrote:
Curious what's been causing Joker Game to decline in the rankings nearly every week. I ended up dropping it after 3 episodes, but that was more because it didn't appeal to me specifically than because I thought it was bad. Did it end up getting worse after that?
Not really. It's still getting 4 ish. Probably just a fair amount of competition in the 4 star range
crx07

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I take back what I said last episode. What happened to AssClass (I'm not watching it so I don't know)? I know Re:Zero episode rankings will go up big time but I don't expect for its weekly rankings to increase to top 3 this week. Also I don't expect AssClass to be beat so early.
I think Netoge went down because that episode is not as engaging.

To those who are confused why Flying Witch went down in weekly rankings even though it went up in episode rankings, this is the explanation I can think of:
1.) Re:Zero, Boku no Hero, and Ushio to Tora beat Flying Witch this episode. The leads created by those 3 anime in this week are enough to push the weekly rankings of FW down.
2.) FW beat a JoJo episode, but I believe their gap in weekly rankings too wide for FW to overtake JoJo.

My predictions:
If KnB ep7,JoJo ep8, and AssClass ep20 have the score of at most 4.4, ReZero may top the weekly rankings. Ushio and Tora has the potential to be in top 2.
I expect Kiznaiver to rank up on its episode rankings.
I cannot say anything about our listless dark horse.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I've only been watching these weekly best/worst columns with mild interest as only one of the shows I've been watching (Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress) is being reviewed on here. One problem I have is a lot of the shows in the upper part of the ratings are sequels or continuations which I don't watch since I haven't seen the first part. While I know that popularity certainly does not always equal quality I still feel like I should check out Re:Zero and My Hero Academia at least-if I can just find the time.
LightYapper

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I won't be surprised if Re:Zero tops the cumulative ranking too after this. That show really had an overwhelming community score at about 4.8 by episode 6, and it doesn't seem like dropping at all, though that'll depend on whether Kabaneri stays consistent or not.

On another note, if Tanaka-kun can keep up its effort, it may also become a real black horse in these rankings.(It stood firmly as my top 3 for this season)
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:

I am watching Re:Zero, and I find it generally likable. To me it is very similar to Sword Art Online because both are fantasy otaku shows that are resonating with a larger segment of the fandom. And like with SAO, I would not recommend Re:Zero to people looking for a well written story and layered characters. Popularity does not always equal high quality.

I don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone, personally, and I'm a little frustrated by it's popularity. The writing has been lacking, especially in regards to the characters and dialogue. I'm really having a hard time getting past all of that. I also get very painful flashbacks to SAO when I watch RE:Zero. It's almost identical in so many ways. How it's effecting the fandom, me personally, it's writing flaws, and everything. All too eerily similar. And it's going to sell like candy. Really tasty addictive candy.

And I hate Puck. Puck is terrible.
Mitrospeed

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:06 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:

I don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone, personally, and I'm a little frustrated by it's popularity. The writing has been lacking, especially in regards to the characters and dialogue. I'm really having a hard time getting past all of that. I also get very painful flashbacks to SAO when I watch RE:Zero. It's almost identical in so many ways. How it's effecting the fandom, me personally, it's writing flaws, and everything. All too eerily similar. And it's going to sell like candy. Really tasty addictive candy.

I wonder what these flaws and "identical points to SAO" are because in all honesty I don't see them. And I also don't know how you can see writing flaws if we haven't even seen most of the scenes' purpose due to the retroactive nature of the writing.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:59 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

I don't find it similar to Sword Art Online at all. SAO is a self insert wish fulfillment fantasy where the protagonist is super awesome at everything for no reason. Re:Zero, so far, is not, unless the hero constantly failing and having hysterical nervous breakdowns are the new cool, I am a bit out of touch with the youth these days.
And I don't think it'll get as big as SAO either (because it's not a wish fulfillment story that zooms in on girl's crotches) If it gets a second season at all I'll consider it a great victory.
xyz

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:22 am Reply with quote
I'm not a gamer nor a SAO fan. In fact, I hate it. I watch a lot of stuff and I know a good story and Zero has an engaging story. I have no complaint. (Good thing I don't depend on here nor anywhere for what I watch.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3