• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of May 13-19

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eugen Skladany

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:45 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Jesus Christ at Netoge's fall; were that many people worried about their self-insert getting NTRd?

And with the numbers Re:Zero's pulling, I might actually have to watch it. I gave it a pass because of the squinty character designs - especially the MC - and meh girls, but it might be worth it after all.

Dont bother its this seasons overhyped trash just like erased last season
Eugen Skladany

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
And so he overhyping of SAO tier trash continues but at least RE:zero has a slither of creativity unlike Attack on train witch is basically a 1 on 1 AoT copy with a orange instagram filter and a few trains added in Rolling Eyes . Sigh at least there are 2 worth wile anime this season but per usual they are getting the short end of the stick because edgelords and casuals cant self insert themselves into cute girls who are operating battle ships and almighty lords of swag
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
Eugen Skladany wrote:
Sigh at least there are 2 worth wile anime this season but per usual they are getting the short end of the stick because edgelords and casuals cant self insert themselves into cute girls who are operating battle ships and almighty lords of swag
Let me guess, you are one of those people who really don't like shows with violence in them? You could just say that without the need to insult others taste.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
#844903 wrote:
I take back what I said last episode. What happened to AssClass (I'm not watching it so I don't know)?

spoiler[The class went to space and found a way to stop their teacher from going kaboom by the end of the year.]
Mitrospeed

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Eugen Skladany wrote:
Sigh at least there are 2 worth wile anime this season but per usual they are getting the short end of the stick because edgelords and casuals cant self insert themselves into cute girls who are operating battle ships and almighty lords of swag
Let me guess, you are one of those people who really don't like shows with violence in them? You could just say that without the need to insult others taste.

Ah don't bother. If he sees the need for his only two posts to consist of comments of this level then we can't expect much out of him.

I'm just glad that a mere opinion from people like him are as important as a dry fart in the end Smile
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
Re: Zero is *definitely* not a self-insert wish-fulfillment thing... not unless you *wish* to be killed in as many messy and brutal ways as Subaru has been so far. I generally loathe SAO, but really like Re: Zero, and other than them both having haremish elements, I don't consider them to be very alike at all.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

I don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone, personally, and I'm a little frustrated by it's popularity. The writing has been lacking, especially in regards to the characters and dialogue. I'm really having a hard time getting past all of that. I also get very painful flashbacks to SAO when I watch RE:Zero. It's almost identical in so many ways. How it's effecting the fandom, me personally, it's writing flaws, and everything. All too eerily similar. And it's going to sell like candy. Really tasty addictive candy.

And I hate Puck. Puck is terrible.

I don't find it similar to Sword Art Online at all. SAO is a self insert wish fulfillment fantasy where the protagonist is super awesome at everything for no reason. Re:Zero, so far, is not, unless the hero constantly failing and having hysterical nervous breakdowns are the new cool, I am a bit out of touch with the youth these days.
And I don't think it'll get as big as SAO either (because it's not a wish fulfillment story that zooms in on girl's crotches) If it gets a second season at all I'll consider it a great victory.

I think people over-play details like the fact that he spoiler[dies(since he respawns every time, after all)]. Regardless of that, so far, he is still absolutely living an Otaku fantasy. He's surrounded by cute girls with tropey gimmicks like repeating what their sister says, or saying "I suppose" after everything. He has his own Asuna rip off, though Emilia is much better, in my opinion. And given that he's in a fantasy world, he gets to totally forget about his boring real-life world.
Not sure if you know, but it's already confirmed for 25 episodes.

Mitrospeed wrote:

I wonder what these flaws and "identical points to SAO" are because in all honesty I don't see them. And I also don't know how you can see writing flaws if we haven't even seen most of the scenes' purpose due to the retroactive nature of the writing.

Some of what I explained above already. But I don't mean it's similar in a narrative sense. As I said in my first post: "The writing has been lacking, especially in regards to the characters and dialogue." and "How it's effecting the fandom, me personally, it's writing flaws, and everything"(by "everything" I meant "etc" not literally everything is the same). The story so far is incredibly interesting. The way that everyone interacts right now is the biggest problem. No one feels like an actual person. The Loli has her ridiculous gimmick, Ram and Rem have their even more ridiculous routine, Emilia is literally perfect, and Puck is framed as being cute, but the show tries so hard that I can't possibly buy anything that it says.

I think the story is really cool, and I hope it goes somewhere interesting, but, I mean, I really cannot buy the characters at all. I hate not liking what's popular, so this seriously sucks for me. I wish I could get on board. I don't try to be a dissenter just for the hell of it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
The story so far is incredibly interesting. The way that everyone interacts right now is the biggest problem. No one feels like an actual person. The Loli has her ridiculous gimmick, Ram and Rem have their even more ridiculous routine, Emilia is literally perfect, and Puck is framed as being cute, but the show tries so hard that I can't possibly buy anything that it says.

I think the story is really cool, and I hope it goes somewhere interesting, but, I mean, I really cannot buy the characters at all. I hate not liking what's popular, so this seriously sucks for me. I wish I could get on board. I don't try to be a dissenter just for the hell of it.

Rather than interesting, I find the story and premise in Re:Zero intriguing. It has plenty of potential to become interesting and compelling. Unfortunately, the tropy-ness of the characters is doing a disservice to the already struggling writing. But we are only a third into the show, and things could definitely improve.

I don't lament not being into all the popular stuff (I am used to it by now), but what really frustrates me from popular anime with questionable writing is big fans of those shows trying to convince me that my assessment is wrong.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I don't lament not being into all the popular stuff (I am used to it by now), but what really frustrates me from popular anime with questionable writing is big fans of those shows trying to convince me that my assessment is wrong.

Yeah, definitely that too.
Mitrospeed

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Well after reading what you're problems mainly are, I can only say that you should look forward to arc 3 since this will pretty much any complaint of yours.

Note that we're still in the introduction arc where we get introduced to the upper surface of the characters. Arc 3 is where the plot and story starts to show up alongside characterization Smile
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Muffum wrote:
Curious what's been causing Joker Game to decline in the rankings nearly every week. I ended up dropping it after 3 episodes, but that was more because it didn't appeal to me specifically than because I thought it was bad. Did it end up getting worse after that?

I think people are frustrated that every episode between the first two and the latest one have been episodic, one-and-done (super)spy adventures. I don't know how long the current multi episode arc will be, but if it takes advantage of the added time, that'll be reflected in the scores.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Muffum wrote:
Curious what's been causing Joker Game to decline in the rankings nearly every week. I ended up dropping it after 3 episodes, but that was more because it didn't appeal to me specifically than because I thought it was bad. Did it end up getting worse after that?

I think people are frustrated that every episode between the first two and the latest one have been episodic, one-and-done (super)spy adventures. I don't know how long the current multi episode arc will be, but if it takes advantage of the added time, that'll be reflected in the scores.

Personally, I lost a bit of interest in it when it became clear that it wasn't really planning on being a super serious Spy thriller, which I had hoped for, and was going for a little bit more ridiculous spy antics including that over-the-top villain in episode 4. It's still pretty good, I'm just letting myself fall behind a little on it, since I have other really good things to watch at the moment.
crx07

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Regardless of that, so far, he is still absolutely living an Otaku fantasy. He's surrounded by cute girls with tropey gimmicks like repeating what their sister says, or saying "I suppose" after everything. He has his own Asuna rip off, though Emilia is much better, in my opinion. And given that he's in a fantasy world, he gets to totally forget about his boring real-life world.

I believe Subaru is designed to mock self-insert characters. When an otaku attempts to self-insert, the author would happily torture Subaru, which in turn tortures those otakus. For example, he's surrounded by cute twin maids spoiler[who want to kill him]. Who wants that? That's your kind of fantasy world. It's hellish but it's still a fantasy world.
Why people can't tolerate those gimmicks. I just shrug them off like nothing. And unlike Asuna, Emilia only loves spoiler[Puck] and Emilia has a dubious background.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

I think people over-play details like the fact that he spoiler[dies(since he respawns every time, after all)]. Regardless of that, so far, he is still absolutely living an Otaku fantasy. He's surrounded by cute girls with tropey gimmicks like repeating what their sister says, or saying "I suppose" after everything. He has his own Asuna rip off, though Emilia is much better, in my opinion. And given that he's in a fantasy world, he gets to totally forget about his boring real-life world.
Not sure if you know, but it's already confirmed for 25 episodes.

You comparisons comes across as incredulity arbitrary and vague. Yes Subaru an otaku so what? Would it be better if he were an salaryman? Would the story then be a salaryman's fantasy? Really, I'm not seeing what this has to do with anything at all. What character starts out as should no bearing quality of a story personal preferences aside.

Also are you seriously saying It's a SAO clone over flimsy stuff like cute girls, verbal tics and twins (which SAO doesn't even have)? Really? Nevermind that more than half of those elements you listed aren't even found in SAO, but many of those traits have been part anime medium in general long before LN adaptations became prominent.

Then there is the fact you called Emilia an Asuna clone simply because she exists, which tells I can't take you seriously. Oh wait your gonna tell me it's because she happens to be nice or something silly like that? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Some of what I explained above already. But I don't mean it's similar in a narrative sense. As I said in my first post: "The writing has been lacking, especially in regards to the characters and dialogue." and "How it's effecting the fandom, me personally, it's writing flaws, and everything"(by "everything" I meant "etc" not literally everything is the same). The story so far is incredibly interesting. The way that everyone interacts right now is the biggest problem. No one feels like an actual person. The Loli has her ridiculous gimmick, Ram and Rem have their even more ridiculous routine, Emilia is literally perfect, and Puck is framed as being cute, but the show tries so hard that I can't possibly buy anything that it says.

Define what an "actual person" is to begin with and how these characters aren't? Is some generic way everyone supposed to act? What are these standards for speech and behavior that everyone must adhere to in the real world to be consider human? If I myself don't fit into those conditions does that make me I'm not human? There is a lot of words being thrown around but most them aren't making any sense or just meaningless noise. If you just said the characters aren't my thing because don't like some of their quirks, that would actual make sense instead of launching into some mini-rant with ill defined reasons.

I mean yes, the characters follow certain tropes, but when that goes 99% of the medium who cares at that point? You're not going to find a written in this era doesn't common written elements, it's execution of those elements that actual matter.

Honesty I could just say about everything you said about any show your watching if wanted too, especially when if looking to disregard what makes it standout and makes it good.

Truthfully, Re;Zero sounds like was never going to win with you regardless of it's quality because you are projecting elements from other sources (with little heed to whether they fit or not) towards it rather looking at show itself. In your mind Subaru is already Kirito, and he's gonna get harem, dual wield swords and have entire universe bend backwards to fellatio him. Even if doesn't you find someway to twist that, because you shut out anything that's actual happening an LN can't possibly deviate.

Anyone who isn't driven completely driven about bias towards LN can clearly see Re:Zero isn't anything like SAO (at least any meaningful way) or most beyond being a LN starting a teenager. Subaru's character and experiences alone are nothing like Kirito nor is world he inhabits or characters he meets have any influences from there. This not over analyzation, it's fact putting aside how one personal feels about the show.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:26 am Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:

You comparisons comes across as incredulity arbitrary and vague. Yes Subaru an otaku so what? Would it be better if he were an salaryman? Would the story then be a salaryman's fantasy?

Nope, not at all what I was talking about.

Quote:
Also are you seriously saying It's a SAO clone over flimsy stuff like cute girls, verbal tics and twins (which SAO doesn't even have)? Really?

I already addressed this. You even quoted that part of my comment. Good on you man.

Quote:
Then there is the fact you called Emilia an Asuna clone simply because she exists, which tells I can't take you seriously. Oh wait your gonna tell me it's because she happens to be nice or something silly like that? Rolling Eyes

What?

Quote:
Define what an "actual person" is to begin with and how these characters aren't? Is some generic way everyone supposed to act? What are these standards for speech and behavior that everyone must adhere to in the real world to be consider human? If I myself don't fit into those conditions does that make me I'm not human? There is a lot of words being thrown around but most them aren't making any sense or just meaningless noise. If you just said the characters aren't my thing because don't like some of their quirks, that would actual make sense instead of launching into some mini-rant with ill defined reasons.

No, umm, that's actually the problem... real people don't act in such pre-defined generic ways. This show is largely nothing but characters doing that. Thanks for making that one easy for me.

Your thoughtful words have really encouraged me to give this more credit for it's awesome writing. Rolling Eyes

I thought long and hard about how to respond to this, but, to be honest, you're totally not on the same page as me at all, so I'm just going to leave it at that, I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3