• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Miss Machiko Anime for Streaming Only

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:28 am Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
I checked out the opening for this and I'll have to pass. Holy, crap is this about a teacher's students sexually harassing her? It kind of hurts my head.

The one I saw was the least animated opening I've ever saw. Then I checked out episode two and it looks good. I don't know if it's 95 episodes good but 26, I can see that. If I can see that, I will see that. That is...

Ah yeah, this is probably going to be part of a CR cross promotion thing? If they have to release titles physically, they go to Discotek and if Diskotek wants to do a stream only release, they only go there? Seems likely to me...

So, no. Not interested.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:38 am Reply with quote
Can't say I'm interested. This show looks nothing like my cup of tea and I only like streaming as a way to test a series before getting it on disc, so the idea of any of the titles on my wish list of oldies getting this treatment makes me a little sad. Especially if it turns out that they won't stream the series outside the US and Canada.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:51 am Reply with quote
From a licensing standpoint, it is good to start this way so they don't have to worry about potential sales flops. However, kudos to this company for having established a consistency with licensing/rescuing older and obscure titles.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:02 am Reply with quote
I've never heard of this show but I will try to check out at least a few episodes, especially if it ends up being on Crunchyroll. I hope this is successful; most long-time anime fans have some "obscure" series we'd like to watch legally. If it works out for Discotek perhaps other companies will get in on it; Right Stuf, for example, has picked up a few older shows but AFAIK has not licensed anything just for streaming as of yet.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:05 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
From a licensing standpoint, it is good to start this way so they don't have to worry about potential sales flops. However, kudos to this company for having established a consistency with licensing/rescuing older and obscure titles.

Yeah. While some of their physical titles do have obvious fan bases, a lot of them don't and seem like huge risks themselves. I don't blame them for testing the waters with this really obscure (if a former classic in Japan) anime.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
An early '80s fanservice comedy. A fanservice comedy from before the otaku boom.

Might be cool. I'll check it out.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
An early '80s fanservice comedy. A fanservice comedy from before the otaku boom.

Might be cool. I'll check it out.
Didn't the Otaku boom take place around the time this show was airing?

I've seen a bit of it and it is an OK show, it has a 60s look to it. The only part I think some people may object to is when a bunch of children are having a shower and complaining how they don't have boobs like their teacher.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:53 am Reply with quote
Good to see an older show picked up even though it's probably not going to get a physical release. Here's to hoping there's more vintage goodies to come.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
Am I the only fan on this site that prefers watching anime streaming to having to buy discs? Especially these days since there is no way to rent discs anymore and very few libraries have large anime selections to borrow. I've been waiting for years for Discotek to make their disc-only library available for streaming and it's happening---very slowly. I'm kind of frustrated that they'd release old, obscure licenses for streaming before the newer titles they already have rights to, like Love*Com, Earl and Fairy, Thermae Romae, etc.

I'm happy about Diskotek licensing more old, obscure works, don't get me wrong (although this particular one looks like a pass for me). I have a huge wishlist of OOP and never released titles I'd love to see streaming legally, from Moryou no Hako to Please Save My Earth, Planetes, Basara, Zipang...I could go on and on. Cool
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Didn't the Otaku boom take place around the time this show was airing?

Technically yes, but most people tend to ignore the back and forth relationship between anime/manga and their otaku until typically the mid-2000s.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
OK, that was weird. I've never heard of this show before and neither has anyone else apparently. So I guess Discotek is doing this only for the REALLY obscure shows that nobody in the U.S. has ever heard of, complete surprises that they saw while researching possible acquisitions and liked or something, or maybe as a place to offload shows they don't really want from package deals.

As for the show itself, sounds good enough for me, so I'll probably end up giving it a shot at some point.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I pray that they recover from limbo the Mighty Orbots TV series, it is technically anime, it is only one cour long and already has an english and spanish dub.

Amen to that. That's a series that hasn't seen a release in a dog's age. The closest was a couple of VHS tapes. And of course if you were of the "trade" generation that only way you could get it is if you recorded off Saturday morning TV.

Hey DISCOTEK!!! Make it happen!!!

But this is an interesting acquisition. Now with Discotek getting more into older shows it be interesting to see if one day we see an adult label pop up. I often wonder if any company would ever try their hands at releasing any 'Cream Lemon' films as part of a set of adult collectors.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Have many people seen this in the west? I'm just curious as I'm sure if this was one of those titles like Angels Egg, which didn't come over but has a small following in the west.

I've been into anime for about 24 years now and this is the first I've heard of it so I'm going to say probably not. Though, if Discotek could get their hands on Angels Egg that would be awesome.

I've been into anime for over 30 years and, I too, have haven't heard of it until now!
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Have many people seen this in the west? I'm just curious as I'm sure if this was one of those titles like Angels Egg, which didn't come over but has a small following in the west.

I've been into anime for about 24 years now and this is the first I've heard of it so I'm going to say probably not. Though, if Discotek could get their hands on Angels Egg that would be awesome.

I've been into anime for about the same time as you and I knew about the series, but I agree with you. This series is virtually unknown in the west; it hasn't been broadcasted in Italy, afaik, which says a lot, because Italy used to broadcast a lot of TV series back in the eighties and nineties. I just happened to know Miss Machiko because I used to collect old 80's animation magazines like Animage and other books about anime where I saw some articles and/or ads.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Never heard of this show, but I'll check it out if I can and more importantly I love the idea of Discotek finding older/obscure titles that never made here and making them available.
It would be nice, if following this, they start a pre-order system for DVDs/BDs for these streaming only shows that once X number of pre-orders go through, they put out a physical release instead of just a nebulous, maybe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3